This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Has chevy lost its mind?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has chevy lost its mind?
    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 7:54pm
[TUBE]7WShLk3Ahls[/TUBE]
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Sponsored Links

AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 7:42am
The 4 cyl in a full size pickup is a dumb idea, but it's hard to take a 50 year old guy doing a webcast sitting in his moms basement wearing sunglasses very seriously.Smile
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 8:44am
I was thinking the same thing, especially when some of his comments were as dumb as the 4cylinder in a full sized PU
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 9:04am
There's no replacement for displacement. Not that long ago when the 5.3 came out I thought they were crazy for dropping the old 350 (5.7 L). How far we have fallen. Next will be chipmunks in a wheel.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 9:14am
That guy's a little out there for sure but I agree with him on his main point. A four cylinder or even a six cylinder would not be my first choice and I have never been a fan of turbos or super chargers to squeeze out the HP. My best argument against them is what RPM do they run while going down the road at 70 mph. I suspect it will be more than a V eight and over time I suspect their longevity will suffer IMHO.

Hold on, let me ask the wife............nope, I'm wrong again.😕
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 9:17am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 9:31am
Go rotary. Wankel all the way, baby!!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 9:52am
Wankel is basically two stroke, does not come close on emissions restraints anymore, choke them down with devices and gutless.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 10:16am
Hay...this is a DISPOSIBLE Society... an itty bitty 4 banger in a 1/2 ton will LAST...
...2-3 years, maybe ?? That's IF you never ,ever haul anything in it !
SSON raves about his Dodge PU with 3L eco-diesel..until you ask about MPG pulling 4T of dump trailer..then he change the subject FAST !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 10:43am
This isn't just a GM thing its an industry thing.  I have heard from both New Holland and AGCO about how these new technology engines can do the work that larger displacement engines can do.  Then they show your graph after graph of torque readings from their four cylinder engine vs their larger six cylinder engine and how its better and blah blah blah. 

Well I try not to live in the past but still seem to compare current to past events.  Does this sound similar?  Like when a 75hp tractor with a natural aspirated 301 cu in engine was replaced by a 80hp 200 cu in engine with an intercooled turbo engine?  Same as now they had advertisements showing the increased torque out of the four cylinder engine and so on.  I will say this, the 6080 is a nice tractor to drive but there is a reason I own a 185 and not a 6080 because when it comes down to hard pulling that 185 will dig its heels in, smoke a little out of the exhaust and go, where the 6080 will need to be shifted down and given some slack.  I know of a number of 180 and 185 that went to 10K hours with out and over haul and most 6080s that I know of have been overhauled at least once.

Jim

Edited by JimIA - 15 Jun 2019 at 10:44am
An open eye is much more observant than an open mouth
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 10:47am
I wonder if it has cylinder deactivation, maybe switches to a 1 or two cylinder when all 4 aren't needed? Probably sounds like a Briggs then.Thumbs Up And I am a Chevy guy, btw.

Edited by AllisFreak MN - 15 Jun 2019 at 10:48am
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 10:52am
Is it as bad as the ecobust?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 12:24pm
The little engines always have to be wound tight to get the power out. More rpm's means more wear in the long run. I wouldn't think the 4 banger would be a big seller in a full size pickup, but look at the ecoboost-they sell like crazy.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 5:32pm
I've been pulling a landscape trailer, with a 1 ton truck, that has a 4 banger in it, for the last 20 years.  'Course, its an Isuzu NPR, wif a turbo diesel, about 300 cubes.  So that's another story.  Now Scotty is a little rough around the edges, but he's been fixin cars, for over 30 years, before he became an innernut star...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 10:18am
Short stroke engines at higher rpm have similar piston speeds as long stroke v8s at lower speeds meaning wear is similar. Hence the foreign made inline 4 cylinders running 3 grand down the road still going 200k plus. I remember reading an article that a formula 1 engine at 14,000 rpm had similar piston speed to a chevy 350 at 5400 rpm
hi my names dan, I am a young guy. i have a problem, i prefer my tractors orange and my clutches mechanical, thanks for letting me share
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:45pm
Not really a fan of a 4 banger in a truck... That being said, I bought a 2013 F150 last fall and it has a 3.5 V6 with twin turbos  ( that's 200 cubic inches)... This is NOT a high RPM motor. Ford did their engineering right.    60 MPH is 1500 rpm on the motor... Turbos come on at 1400 RPM, not high speed. Also has a 6 speed transmission.. You punch the throttle at 60 MPH and it drops down 2 gears, motor goes to 3000 RPM, both turbos kick in and you scream down the road.... foot off the gas and you cruze at 80 MPH at 2000 RPM... not much wear at that speed and the turbos are on coast with light throttle.

Don't know the LONG TERM, but though I would give it a try. Got 85K on the motor. Gets 22 MPG at 55 MPH and 19 PMG at 65 MPH... 4 door crew cab... Rated to pull 13K trailer......  who would have guessed ??

OH... and its got a constant FLAT torque curve and a  375 HP output.

Edited by steve(ill) - 16 Jun 2019 at 12:53pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:47pm
OK, I must be adft today but...
I remember reading an article that a formula 1 engine at 14,000 rpm had similar piston speed to a chevy 350 at 5400 rpm

The F1 engine is spinning 2.5+ times faster than the 350 so HOW can 'piston speed' be similar ?
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:49pm
What if the Chevy has a 4 inch stroke and the F1 engine has a 2 inch stroke ?  Need to run twice the RPM to cover the same distance with the piston.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

What if the Chevy has a 4 inch stroke and the F1 engine has a 2 inch stroke ?  Need to run twice the RPM to cover the same distance with the piston.

true, but I question the 2 inch stroke. but, even if true, they still are not the same piston speed, and the little itty bitty go cart engine piston's are accelerating to speed, coming to a complete stop, reversing direction, reaching top speed, coming to a complete stop, and reversing direction.....two and a half times more often than the long stroke engine. That is a lot of extra stress on the little fellow. and how can the little fellow possibly be as efficient as the big guy when it only has half the time and linear distance to extract all the energy from the burning gasses before dumping them overboard and repeating the process
Wait for the Lord;
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 7:16pm
Alright gentlemen my memory was off a bit I just found the magazine and the piston speed was faster but the total distance traveled per mile which is apparently measured in feet is the same. The distance is figured using stroke and speed of the engine among other things. Sorry for the confusion all
hi my names dan, I am a young guy. i have a problem, i prefer my tractors orange and my clutches mechanical, thanks for letting me share
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

OK, I must be adft today but...
I remember reading an article that a formula 1 engine at 14,000 rpm had similar piston speed to a chevy 350 at 5400 rpm

The F1 engine is spinning 2.5+ times faster than the 350 so HOW can 'piston speed' be similar ?

Because the stroke is shorter, and the connecting rod is longer.  Trigonometry, sir.  Max piston speed occurs at 90 degrees.

That all being said... my whiz-bang F250 has a 6-speed and something like 6.2L in it's V8.  They rate it at some stupid horsepower... and while that all may be true on paper, it ain't worth feces in real life.

First off, if you want that power, you stomp on the pedal.  It thinks about it for about two seconds, shifts two gears, then another two, then back one, then screams, then it pulls... way too hard... so you let up, and it's basically off.

Next... If you're rolling up a gentle grade, and it starts losing speed, you give the throttle a little push, and NOTHING happens.  Give it some more... NOTHING happens.  A little more, and now you're down substantially in speed, it does the above dance, beats you up, and by that time, you're over the top of the hill.

Now... it gets 11mpg on the interstate.

I have an '84 Chevy P30 Step-Van... a Frito-Lay delivery truck for those who don't recognize... a P-30 is a one-ton forward-control chassis used in all sorts of delivery trucks, including UPS, Dolly Madison, etc, and came with a wide variety of power and drivetrain options.

Mine originally had a 6.2L, and Frito-lay dumped ALL of them in lieu of a Cummins 4BT about 3 years after taking shipment.  Mine has a Dana 70 rearend, 4.56 gears, 10,000lb GVW, running 19.5 duals in back, singles in front... and when I'm driving it somewhere, it's full-to-the-limit with speakers, amplifiers, drums, music stands, lighting, etc., for my band.  With that little diesel, it was peppy from 0 to 45mph, perfect for in-town delivery. On the highway, limited to 2400rpm, it'd go 54mph.   It got a good solid 14mpg.

I yanked the 4BT three years ago, and dropped in a 1976 Buick 455, and a TH400, for a variety of reasons, one being the 4bt's governed speed being somewhat incompatible with interstate velocities, the other being that said 4BT was 'not included' with the sale of the truck, but was on-loan until I found more suitable power...

Anyway, I chose the 455 Buick for some very simple reasons... first, being that they're inexpensive to obtain from guys who yank them out to build demo derby cars.  Second being that they rolled off the lot sporting over 500 ft-lbs of torque from a little over idle, clear up to 4000rpm... Yeah, they were only identified as being something like 205hp... apparently horses were bigger in '76...  but that was substantially more than the Cummins diesel, and with the ability to easily spin to 3500 on the interstate, was well capable of unreasonable and improper considering the breadbox aerodynamics.

Suffice to say, the P30 breadbox has NO difficulty getting it on from any stoplight, or any on-ramp... or passing a truck... headwind or not.  I don't have to wait for a downshift- simply pressing on the foot-feed yields very immediate results at ANY speed... no downshift-upshift drama, no crazy noise... just torque... pull... go, and NOW.

Oh... and that breadbox, loaded to the gills with gear, gets 12mpg.  With 4 years of technological improvement, my brand-new Ford F250, loaded to same weight with tools, can't beat the driveability or fuel economy of a breadbox with a worn-out Buick 455.

The problem is, that these engineers are spending all their time behind computer screens, not steering wheels.

Edited by DaveKamp - 16 Jun 2019 at 10:39pm
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
LionelinKY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 12:14am
Biggest problem with their 4 cyls has always been the head gaskets don't hold up. Hope they fixed that before they turboed it. My 96 S10 with 2.2L 4 cyl is on its 4th head gasket now at 314K miles but the rest is still original so no complaints here. My brother has a '13 or '14 Silverado work truck with V8 that cuts to 4 cyl when cruising. He loves it even though he has always been a Ford guy. Has the guts to pull when he needs it but cruises really well at highway speed on much less fuel. They have to do something to keep their overall fleet fuel economy in check with the government since everybody is going bigger again with gas being "so cheap" now. Cutting out cars soon too in favor of gas guzzler SUVS. How soon we all forget and get greedy again.
"My name is Lionel and I'm an Allisoholic"
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 6:48am
That Chevy V8 ~ V4 cut out......I'm not so sure about that.  Yeah, when it goes to V4, you save some gas, but you have to drive like grandma for it to be V4 much.  Then, when sh!t goes wrong, did you really save enough gas to pay for it?  Overall mileage isn't that impressive for the added complication IMO.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 7:27am
It seems like the '07 to '13 generation of 5.3's had trouble with the cylinder deactivation and oil consumption, haven't heard of much problems with the '14 and newer ones though.  GM did some major updating to that generation including direct injection.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 9:58am
Dad has a '16 GMC.  He hasn't had any troubles, and he won't since it's a lease and going back in a couple of weeks.  It just isn't that impressive.  I've put several thousand miles on it, I'm not Mario Andretti, but I don't putz either.  Just doesn't seem to me to be on enough to make it worthwhile. 
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 10:07am
Been looking at new pickups, stopped at the GM dealership yesterday. They had 14 2016-2018 f150s sitting on the lot, traded in for new Chevy, several Toyota sitting beside the ferds.   They were all going to a dealer auction. After looking at the new Chevys, I see why they traded in the fords.
clarkscreek View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkscreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 11:16am
Dealers drag in competitive brands from auctions themselves to give you the idea every other brand is trading for them. Look at major dealer lots of all brands and it's the same.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by clarkscreek clarkscreek wrote:

Dealers drag in competitive brands from auctions themselves to give you the idea every other brand is trading for them. Look at major dealer lots of all brands and it's the same.

"salting" the mine, eh?
Wait for the Lord;
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 7:28pm
I don't think FORD is worried.........

Sales Results - USA - Silverado, Sierra, F-Series, Ram pickup - 2019

YearJanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDecTotal
F-Series71,53771,53771,537214,611
Ram Pickup34,88939,95045,187
Sierra13,51513,51513,51540,546
Silverado38,10438,10438,104114,313

Read more: http://motrolix.com/automotive-sales-figures/automotive-sales-comparisons/sales-comparison-chevrolet-silverado-vs-gmc-sierra-vs-ford-f-series-vs-ram-truck/#ixzz5rFWU4d2V

allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 6:42am
Ford sold the same exact amount 3 months in a row. They must be good!?
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic