This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers wd, ca, or ford 9n

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 8:03pm
My favorite tractor that I don't have. The WD45 was a terror in field demos in it's day. Put the competition on it's heels.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Sponsored Links

ajlewis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 10:43pm
uploads/19869/AC_wd45.jpg

Well here she is! Me and my grandpa are going to start restoring the body the 2nd week of July. All we will have to do is sand and paint, she is in great shape! I must say I am very glad I went with the WD45, I have had a lot of AC enthusiast's compliment how great these tractors are. I have drove it a few times and runs great! I already picked up a snow blade for 90 bucks! Thanks for your guys help. Can I ask again, now what? I know nothing about these old tractors, are there any books or manuals I should look for? Any important things to know about them??? Thanks!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 6:44am
aj,
I looked at the picture and it looks to be a straight solid tractor. If your grandpa has a body shop I am sure it will turn out great. Things to look for:
Good strong snap action in the hand clutch,
pesky oil leaks for almost any orifice
Jumping out of gear, typically third
any engine smoke, 
Lots of books out there. Try to get a service manual, usually better than the IT manuals.
Have fun and be carefull! 
We need some more pictures when you get it out.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 9:08am
That is a fine looking 45! Think you will enjoy it a lot!
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 9:26am
I have had good success looking for AC manuals at:
http://grandpas-tractor-site.s3.amazonaws.com/manuals/ac

many manuals are available for purchase on ebay.

Neglect the IT manuals. They are very thin compared to official factory shop manuals. They believe you know machinery fundamentals, e.g. have worked on tractors for half a century.

Gerald J.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 10:09am
Congratulations, now read first then drive lol. Maintenance is what determines whether or not they're still here or if they were scrapped years ago. And whether they'll still be around in another 50 years or not. Check the brakes, too - and as much as I like to complain about what until recently considered an idiotic brake design (thanks for the education, Don(MO)!), when they used to be worked regularly the brakes were being relined every 3-4 years so the pins never had much chance to seize up like they do (or seem to) today.
Have fun!
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 10:14am
Yes, a very nice looking farm fresh tractor!

Gerald, that link, doesn't work for me.
Frank
1959 D17 Series I #24001+, '59 D14
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Ferguson TO 35 Deluxe, Oliver 70 and 5 more.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic