This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers wd, ca, or ford 9n

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers wd, ca, or ford 9n
    Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 7:15pm
So, I am on the market for my first tractor. I have a 1 acre area that I would like to use the tractor to bush hog. I am weighing my options and would appreciate any help, being how I know very little. I am wanting an old Allis Chalmers and have a couple I am looking  at (1st is a CA with brush hog for 1k and the second is a WD for 650). The problem is I want something that has a 3 point hitch for versatility (all I need is a brush hog and snow plow), which is why I have considered a ford 9n. I am having a hard time finding snow blades for the Allis Chalmers is really the main reason I have not purchased them yet. Again I would really appreciate any advice guys. I am trying to get something cheap to get the job done in cutting the grass and plowing my drive, but something I could potentially restore one day. Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 7:39pm
aj,
Welcome. We are slightly bias towards the Allis brands! But ocassionaly you may find a Ford owner on here!Wink
The CA is a good size. If the CA comes with a brush hog already is is a pull behind? 
We may need more info/ pictures too. I am not as well versed in the CA tractors.
 There may be some of the D series that had factory 3 point. but your going to spend more money too. 
The 8n, well they are good for your tasks due to the fact they are set up with 3 point. 
Good luck in your search.
 If you really want a old Allis, you can retro one to have three point also. for under $400.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 8:47pm
Keep in mind that the 9N ford is only 20 hp at the pto. The 8N and 9N hydraulic pump stops when you push in the clutch as does the pto. If you get a Ford, get an NAA (30 hp) or later model.
The WD and CA have more hp and both have hand clutches for live pto.
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 9:19pm
If you buy this n ford, make sure you have a good overriding clutch on the PTO shaft. 4 people I knew were killed with these things, because the brakes are junk or the PTO pushed them over a cliff then the cheap overrunning clutch failed. Please if you must have a ford, look at a 2ooo or 3000 or 4000 su ford. They are 10 times better tractor than any n ford. You can buy n fords in our area, running, for 500.00 to 750.00. They are cheap for a reason.
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 11:14pm
I have 5, Fords, 2 Ferguson 35's and 1 AC, D17. I love the D17 but, it's much larger and more expensive than you need and you can find more 3 point conversions on D17's.

There is a cottage industry of 8N's, you can get anything for them. My Fords are all 600 & 800's. You can get anything for them, also and they run a little more than a 8N but, not much. The 600 has more HP than a CA, the 800, a lot more. Ferguson and 8N, don't have live hydraulics (Ferg, dual clutch 35 Deluxe do). 6 & 800 are live Hyd but it takes a dual clutch for live PTO.

A CA is a great tractor and I hope to have one, before the year is over. I would put them on pare with the 600 Ford, with there lower gearing and live PTO but, as you know, a 3 point is almost invaluable.

Look for a CA with a 3 point or budget one in, if possible. Other than that, I would go with a 600.
Frank
1959 D17 Series I #24001+, '59 D14
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Ferguson TO 35 Deluxe, Oliver 70 and 5 more.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 11:30pm
If the CA is not equipped with a snap coupler I would go with the WD.  The CA hand clutch seem to always be bolted together and don't work from my dealings with them.  The WD with the snap coupler would be easier to get a 3 point setup or make one for it.  Even if it doesn't have a snap coupler, it's easy to mount the lower arms on the draw bar for a 3 point hook up.

That CA with the brush hog seems too cheap.  I would be suspicious of that one, but then the WD seems low priced as well!

Good luck with your decision!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 3:52am
I have a front mounted snowplow for sale that is an Allis Chalmers factory built unit for the narrow front CA tractors. I will be in eastern Ohio July 13th.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
ajlewis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 5:31am
PaulB can you tell me how much you want for it? I am I interested. My cell number is 419-603-9286
ajlewis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 5:35am
I really appreciate all the feedback guys. I think I just need to make the decision on going with the CA or WD. I really like how Big the wd is compared to the CA.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 5:47am
My 'vote' is for the CA. Had one , great tractor. Also has a 2N( 1944 version of the 1939 9N which is only a 3 speed, CA is 4 speed. Since you're talking 1 acre( like me..) smaller is better, easier to do 'stuff'.WD has more HP but bigger, like my D-14s. I just can't 'see' needing a bushhog for 1 acre though, I get by with a 42" rider, though 1/2 is a veggie garden..maybe your land is hilly or rough. 1K for the CA/BH is an OK price, GREAT compared to a 'riding mower', providing it's complete, tire ok, etc. If it doesn't work out, you should get 350-500 for the BH depending on area you live in...so 500$ for a CA.. I'd buy it !!
I used a rear blade on my D-14 for snowplowing. PITA always turning around, hands and feet going everywhere cause it's a small driveway. I use a dedicated rider/front snowblower now and planning to bodge 2 walkbehinds onto a SSQA plate for my Kubota.
There's a lot of options, pros and cons so write them down on a paper ! Take pictures of the tractors from EVERY side. But from here, the CA seems to be the better choice.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 5:58am
I am a big fan of WD's  they are easy to build your own three point hitch on.  A Ford 9n has only three speeds as said and as such a slow road speed.  Many other flaws in my opinion as well, the only thing going for them is the factory three point.  Keep us posted !!
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 6:30am
Go with the WD its twice the tractor of either of the other two easy to find parts and i realy dont loke the CA hand clutch i have hadall three choices the only reason i still have a CA is you cant beet it for mowing
Trinity45 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinity45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 7:09am
I put a 3ph on one of my CA's and us a 6' finish mower on about 4 acres with it.  Not that hard to put one on the Allis, I bought the arms off ebay cheap and bought the bracket from one of the sites to mount the lift arms for $75.
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 11:19am
I bush hog  with an 8N, great little tractor. My 6' mower is a bit much for it. 4' would be ideal. They recommend 5 hp per foot. Friends 170 handled it like a dream.  I like my 8N with both brakes on one side and 4 speed trany, drove a few 9N's and didn't like the pedal set up or 3 spd. WD with a 6ft mower would make short work of an acre of grass
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 11:36am
WD all the way
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 8:12pm
WD and never look back!!!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 7:09am
We have a 1952 CA and WD. Either tractor would work well for your needs. The CA has a 6’ Woods belly mower on it and does a fantastic job of mowing. The hand clutch works pretty well for a 67 year old tractor but will need to be replaced if we would do any plowing as it would probably slip. The WD’s hand clutch is much heavier. Neither tractor has power steering which in my opinion is their only down fall. If you have hills get a wide front end for safety. My WD is a narrow front and caution must be used if using it on hills more so than a wide front end. Both have a lot power for their size and are fairly easy to work on due to their design. Parts are readily available. WD’s are easier and less expensive to come by due to the mass numbers that were produced. I paid $300 for WD, put $250 more in it and have a fine running machine. Perfect hay raking tractor which is why I wanted one. We have 3 point for the CA but not for the WD. Both are great tractors.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 8:18am
I say get the CA, if a WD and 9N are your only other options. If it were a 8N or Jubilee, I’d say get that. The 600/800 mentioned earlier are great tractors too. They are a “series” though, not a model number. Just improved/higher powered versions of the Jubilee. If you were to go that route, and wanted live PTO, you’d need a 660 or 661 or 860 or 861.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 1:38am
IMO, the best 'n-series' tractor is actually the Ferguson TO-35... but I wouldn't put it in the same competition category as a WD... there's just no comparison between a 120ci flathead and a 201ci OHV engine...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
ajlewis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 8:00am
Just found a AC wd 45 with 3 point hitch and wide front end for 1100. The owner said the wires were chewed through by rodents so they need replaced. Is this a hard fix? I am really liking the wd series the more I hear about them. You guys have been a huge help, would appreciate a little more help on this. 
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 9:29am
Steve at B&B can supply a new wiring harness.

There were two versions of the Ford 8N engine. The early ones used the distributor mounted on the front of the block like the 9N and 2N and late 30s vintage V-8 car engines. Hard to work on. The last year of the 8N used a side mounted distributor that is much easier to work on when needed.

The Ford N series PTO is driven by the intermediate shaft in the transmission so if a mower is spinning it will propel the tractor unless the overrunning clutch is added to the PTO connection. Without the overrunning clutch the tractors often run into trees, buildings, power poles, or over bank edges.

Gerald J.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 9:41am
for one acre why not just a good garden tractor or a compact like a 720 ?
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 1:09pm
If u buy the CA with bush hog mower on it .Ask the owner if they used the hand clutch with it . The hand clutch might be rusted fast . The WD hand clutch runs in oil .
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by HudCo HudCo wrote:

for one acre why not just a good garden tractor or a compact like a 720 ?

Yeah, these all seem like overkill for 1 acre.
1951 B
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 5:48pm
x2 what Fred said. The hand clutch in the CA runs dry. Could be rusted together. Or it could be bolted together. In either case the cure is to remove the rhs axle housing, pull the clutch and rebuild it. Or it could be working but slipping....or it could be fine. Good idea to get as much information about it as possible.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Bruiser View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 8:42pm
I for one think a little overkill is just fine, maybe even makes a ordinary job a fun one.  Over sized is always better than under sized.
ajlewis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 7:59am

Well guys I ended up and went with the WD45 and I am super glad I did!!!! I paid a little more for it than I originally wanted, but because it has no mechanical issues, 3 point hitch and WIDE front end I got it!!! Also the body is in great shape compared to most! I paid 1350 for it. I actually talked to my grandpa and it was a similar tractor they had on his farm. We are going to sand and paint it the original AC orange too (he has a body shop). Anyone know what year it is? Also, anyone know some need to knows about the WD45??? This is my first tractor and could use any info you are willing to share? Thanks for all your help I could not be happier with it!!!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 8:10am
aj,
Congratulations! You have a icon of the Allis-Chalmers tractors!
Your picture does not show for me?
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
ajlewis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 10:12am
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 11:22am
It's still not showing. I'd like to see it, also.
Frank
1959 D17 Series I #24001+, '59 D14
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Ferguson TO 35 Deluxe, Oliver 70 and 5 more.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic