This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

200 allis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 200 allis
    Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 4:51pm
Finally removed the Starter and having it repaired ! dead short a draining the battery a broken + post! On the starter We will see.  
Sponsored Links

prbean View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 5:19pm
update my 200 Allis should have back from the repair shop by Tues. so he though he said there was a dead short in the poss. post! I hope this will solve the problems with charging He said that the brushes  looked surprising good for the age of the tractor 45 yrs old  

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 8:57pm
What brand starter?     MACK
prbean View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 8:08am
I don't no no tag on the starter original I assume  
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 10:04am
200 tractors came with Delco or Lucas brand starters. Older 200's usually the Delco (which is very heavy and smashes your hands when you remove it) and later models had the Lucas (which was smaller, lighter and poorer quality).
prbean View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 12:15pm
This very heavy Two of us (my son and me to get out) so from info Dr. I would say it is a Delco not a Lucas  but the re builder will know he de not act like it was a problem to get the field replaced and repaired cleaned up! This a 1973  or 74 model I'll keep you all posted PB 
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 9:56pm
Sounds like a Delco. If it was a Lucas, I would tell you to replace it.    MACk
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 4:39pm
Why does everyone dislike the Lucas starter? My 200 has a Lucas and in 45 years it has had one rebuild. It seems to crank the engine faster than the Delco on a 185 we bought new in 1972. I will admit my 200 is the easiest starting tractor I have ever seen and requires very little cranking.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 10:14pm
Then, someone overhauled your 200 one time and installed 16 to 1 compression pistons in it. Factory was 15 to 1 and they started fair at best, not good. Lucas starters were NOT as rugged as a Delco and 15 to 1 pistons didn't help that a bit.
prbean View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 6:52am
Mine has always been hard to start especially when it a little colder or when it hadn't been stated in a while without the help of a little help from starting!   
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 8:27am
Lucas Electric---- the Prince of Darkness! Ask anyone who ever worked on British cars or motorcycles.
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
prbean View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 8:05am
Starter installed still won't start ! Delco starter ! Wiring diagram would help!  
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 9:34am
Still won't  START ??  or still won't CRANK ??   there is a huge difference.
prbean View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 9:39am
Does nothing still looking to see what I left off ! Thank you Dr.
prbean View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 9:44am
Wish I had a picture before I took it apart! Cranking is another issue. Starting fluid away works
calico190xt68 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 9:59am
I assume from your answer that the starter does NOT crank your engine at all. The wiring is pretty simple to put back on a starter and I would have thought that the starter rebuilder would have certainly made sure it turned over before he sent it to you. If it doesn't crank and the wires are correct, then you may have had a bad ground cable from the start or at least a cable that wasn't making good ground? Have you checked the ground cable or cleaned it off and made sure it is making good contact? This happened to me with a non-AC tractor but the starter rebuilder noticed that there was nothing wrong with my starter and clued me in.
80 7010 w/Cab, 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 10:17am
Have a Lucas in my 7010. All I can say is big new batteries make a world of difference.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 10:18am
White wire from the key switch to the starter push button. 14 GAUGE white wire from the starter push button to the safety switch on the clutch pedal to the starter.
Allisplumber View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allisplumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 11:47am
Did you check the clutch safety switch, you will not be getting power to the starter if it is bad , bypass the switch and see what happens
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 10:12pm
With someone on tractor holding clutch down, jump from battery cable post to small terminal with white wire with screw driver. It should spin engine over.   MACK
AC in the DNA! View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC in the DNA! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 1:55am
I had a cable go bad right after the T at the air heater relay. Moving the cable during other maintenance opened the circuit. Looked connected but had no continuity. She was a 1 hour diagnose and 3 hr parts chase but I’ve always preferred coincidental breakdowns at the shop over in field ones!
prbean View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 7:29am
Starter works fine now! turns the motor over fast! Start the motor good. Still having to start it by jumping across the terminals of the solenoid to start! Still trying to figure out the switch wiring!  Thanks to all! Keep trying till I get it.
prbean View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 4:36pm
Switch wiring problems now. If someone would be kind enough to take picture of the wiring in there service manual it would be greatly appreciated Thanks PB   
200 10and20 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 5:12pm
Look it up in the Agco parts books. It's all there in black and white showing wires and all.
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 5:16pm
Not to be a smart a** but you need to get you an owners manual if you plan on keeping your 200. It has wiring diagram for both open station and cab models along with lots of other helpful info.
prbean View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 8:36am
Order shop manual yesterday from Amazon ! Check out Argo parts book helpful   but black and white photo!! Thanks Ky Allis  for remind Me! PB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic