This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radiator Recore

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radiator Recore
    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 10:33pm
My 1962 D-17 (gas) radiator has some leaking tubes.  

How much should it cost to re-core the radiator?
Sponsored Links

Pete from IL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete from IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 11:15pm
I had mine done last winter. I think it was almost $600.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 10:36pm
D-17 gas Radiator part #70229702
I have seen new radiators range from the mid $400 to over $800, on line.  
Several of the vendors on here have them for a little under $600.
I may try to patch it myself.  If it does not last then I will seek out a professional radiator shop.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 7:43am
Clay, can you actually get that part number?  I tried to get one for me 7045  a few years ago.  An Agco dealer showed the number, but showed as back ordered.  I ended up doing a recore.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 11:41am
If you don't have a reputable shop near enough to re-do, Tony with Tony's Tractors can likely get what you need. He is well versed on inlet/outlet, neck heights and any side bolting for original cowling as he has been in this for quite some time.
Advertises on this site and competitive pricing to boot.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 1:51pm
Take it to a competent honest radiator guy he’ll either fix it or tell you to replace it. When I drop off a rad he calls with a quote to fix it and asks if I can find new cheaper never once have I found new or reman cheaper than him recoring it. Certain point you have to pay to play
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 6:57am
Some of the new ones leave a lot to be desired
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 11:31am
Are all the options copper core or are there aluminum cores with composite tanks available?
Frank
1959 D17 Series I #24001+, '59 D14
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Ferguson TO 35 Deluxe, Oliver 70 and 5 more.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 9:43am
$600 for a new radiator.  I thinkI am going to try to cut out some of the fins and use epoxy to seal the leak.  I have done it on big, heavy equipment, radiators.  
Once repaired a hole in a Mercedes diesel radiator. That hole was 1/4" x 1" in the bottom of the tank.
At this point in the game, I think I will spin the luck wheel.  
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 9:01am
Give it a whirl , should work , ive done a few
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic