This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wheelhorse riding mower

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheelhorse riding mower
    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 2:49pm
I picked up this Toro Wheelhorse riding lawnmower (model 71223, w/Briggs and Stratton model 28?(maybe 6)777 Type 0690-E1, code 000202ZE) to tinker with w/grandson. Couple of questions, on the bottom of the carb bowl is a gizmo with two wires, one of which is ground, don't know yet where the other goes, yet. Any ideas what it does? I don't see it identified on the wiring chart in the owners manual.

The thing starts and runs, but driving it around it will occasionally backfire and then continue on?

doesn't seem to be any reverse. and, in the forward positions it does go, but there is a significant delay between releasing the clutch/brake pedal and actually moving forward. I have no idea how/what the transmission is/works, except I doubt it is a hydrostatic. Looks like a straight forward gearbox (5 forward 1 rev), driven by a belt from motor, to me. But I don't understand the delay in moving. way more time delay than can be explained by worn gears. maybe drive belt slipping, but it doesn't make noise or smell. and once its moving it seems to haul my lard bottom around no problem, even up hills.
Any thoughts

I showed it to grandson and told him he will be working for me this summer and that this tractor will be assigned to him. He will be responsible for it's care and maintenance....I will show to do the maintenance, check oil, clean air filter, grease it, clean it, etc. I bought him a cart for it. I bought it with a crappy mower deck, which I removed. I have four acre lot that I had the building dozed over and buried. But that left a lot of rocks and debris, plastic, wood, car parts, etc scattered all over. His job this summer will be driving around picking up all this loose crap so I can seed grass.
His mom says he is so excited he is vibrating!

Edited by LouSWPA - 08 Jun 2019 at 2:55pm
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Sponsored Links

Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 3:18pm

Lou, As for the 2 wires on the carb, one will be a ground, the other a + hot 12 volt to open the shut off to the needle valve in the carb. It should work when the key is in the start/run positions. When turned on, You should hear a slight CLICK, as it opens. Then when shut off, the same type click, to shut off.  IF not, it my be bad, and not good.  It could fill and flood the crankcase with gas if the valves are in the wrong, open position!  Then ya crank it over, and pop the case. As for the belt, tranny issue, I would think that maybe the OLD belts is taken its run time, and a bit longer than it should be??  BUT either way, what a great time you will BOTH have with this!!!  Hope this helps, let me know!   Dave  p.s. Us older guys might not be able to hear the click, I installed a gas shut-off, and just let it run out, and stall, does the same thing!

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 7:22pm
Thanks Dave, that does help. and, as for the click, not hearing it, I doubt I would. That has been a problem at work for me. we have some equipment that uses different buzzers, sonalerts, etc for alarms, alerts etc. well, guess what, I cannot hear them at all. I'll be working away on a piece of equipment, and a customer will come over, rather distraught and ask if I can turn the alarm off. Seems they been listening to it for the last 20-30 mins and I am totally oblivious to it!

anyways, thanks for the input. I put the boy to work today, wife says he a totally different boy now! I gave him a machine, a task, some instruction, and turned him loose to accomplish it on his own. exactly what most farm boys grew up with
Wait for the Lord;
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 9:22pm
May want to check out MyTractorForum.com. Haven't been on there in a while, but as I recall, I believe there is a couple Wheel Horse gurus over there.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 9:30pm
thanks Trucker
Wait for the Lord;
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 9:35pm
neighbor had a wheelhorse and it would backfire a lot, it was also new at the time.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 5:57am
Dave's 100% right about the 'anti-dieselling' solenoid valve. Fun fact... leave the key in the 'on' position and it'll drain the battery overnight....... I'm thinking ,kinda hard, about adding a bright LED to remind, um 'someone' to remove the key....

Slow response in the drive train sounds like worn, oil soaked belts and slippery pulleys. A few drips of engine oil always find drive belts .....
BTW, the engine was built in Feb of 2000 ( 'code' 000202' mean 2000-feb-02 ). Providing it's the original engine, thactor was built then or few months later.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 6:19am
Lou,
 There is or was a Wheel Horse forum too. I havent been on it for years. I believe "Red Square" is the name of the forum.
Just as much info as you wanted on there!
Sounds like you have a good helper! 
 Regards,
 Chris 

Edited by Sugarmaker - 09 Jun 2019 at 6:21am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 8:01am
https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/    Yep its there.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 12:27am
Looks like a good place to learn about Wheelhorse machines!

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
ford8nwd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ford8nwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 6:17am
Lou, Lawn world forum has a good section also. Might want to check out hearing aids, too.
Could be time.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 7:21am
Originally posted by ford8nwd ford8nwd wrote:

Lou, Lawn world forum has a good section also. Might want to check out hearing aids, too.
Could be time.

I have hearing aids, still cant hear certain frequencies, such as the alerts on many of our products
Wait for the Lord;
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic