This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

strawberries

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: strawberries
    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 8:18am
     Anybody enjoying strawberries yet? Picked first ones about a week ago. Some really large berries among them and most of the plants are almost a foot tall. Maybe due to the weather or fertilizer  I applied last year. Sure are good with some shortcakes and some going onto the freezer for next winter too.
Sponsored Links

JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 8:45am
Strawberries and homemade ice cream are the absolute epitome or reward for hard work.  I quit raising strawberries because I was the only one who tended them, everybody helped plant but that was it and as I've gotten older I've made choices as to spending time.  Fresh strawberries are great and when I had them they went on cereal, ice cream, salads and everything else until they ran out.  My Mom always raised Ozark Beauty, I liked Honeoye myself but inlaws raised and sold Sparkle.
Maximum use of available resources!
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 4:32pm
There was a whole lotof them at both farmers market this week. Dang good chow.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 4:39pm
     JW, I know what you  mean about getting help with projects including the garden. You can get a lot of praise for your efforts but darrned little help.
     I don't remember the variety of berries I planted. This is the third season for them and they have really spread out. When this season is over they will get reduced to about an 18 in. wide row by the rototiller.
     Who  makes homemade ice cream any more? Makes me want to get the freezer out and crank up a batch. Haven't done that for at least 20 years I bet. When I was a lot  younger Mom would make up the mix and my brother and I would do the cranking. Used to break up the ice in a burlap feed bag with a sledge hammer. The good old days!!!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:16pm
Just finished up, here, today, 51 qts offa 60-75' row of 'em, if I remember how long that row is...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 7:29pm
We are just about finished picking our 2 - 100 foot rows of June Bearing Chandler Strawberries. The mother plants are just now beginning putting out runners.
    Down here everyone starts with new plugs or bare root 25 plant bunches every year. Nobody seems to be able to summer over this years beds for next year. Most everyone lay a black plastic mulch and plant in cuts about a foot apart. Even the big commercial growers. Pull up the mulch and plow the patches down when they finish picking.
    It gets expensive buying new plant every year
    This year we will try to get our next years plants  by pulling up the plastic mulch now and encouraging the runners to root by pinning them down. When planting time comes again we hopefully  should be able to pull the plantlets bareroot and not have to buy new plants. Don't know when to pull new plant or if they will need refrigeration to go thru a dormant period after pulling.  
     We use drip irrigation tapes to supply water to keep the roots moist if it quits raining.  When we lay the plastic a tape or two of new tape goes down under the mulch at the same time. We can also fertigate through the drip tape.
    Our 200 feet of row produced more berries  than we could say grace over. Ate fresh every way we could think of and froze 25 gallons for later by picking every day. Still  are getting enough nice but smaller fruit to have a bowl for supper desert and on breakfast cereal .

Edited by Ken in Texas - 08 Jun 2019 at 7:40pm
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 8:32pm
I grew up in Portland ,TN used to be the strawberry capital of the world. almost everyone raised berries, in dirt not on plastic.. Canned and shipped all over the US. We raised Tennessee beauty and Blakemores. I am thinking of planting some this fall on plastic. Haven't decided on which variety yet. Tracy

Edited by Tracy Martin TN - 09 Jun 2019 at 9:34am
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 9:37pm
we had strawberry plants in with the raspberries, the raspberries took them over.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 6:14am
Dang that sounds good. Fresh shortcake on biscuts with cream! Yumm!
We need some pictures too!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 1:33pm
Our strawberries are producing goood this year the rain is making them big and juicy  
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 7:46pm
strawberries make me fart
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 11:24pm
Shameless, breathing makes you fart......

We're so far behind because of the weather.  We won't start picking here for about 10 days to 2 weeks yet.  I don't care, but the wife wants em yesterday....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 9:05am
Shammers is that what that Pink Cloud around you is from?
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 12:19pm
Got a few berries this year,---all the rain ruined most of them. Still putting the final nubs on and runners starting. ---mainly I just want the runners to expand the 25 plants we have this year.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 12:47pm
We picked a ice bucket full today been picking every other day most of the season, these are old berries
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic