This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diesel mechanic help needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diesel mechanic help needed
    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 5:38pm
Working on my mothers 1215 Ford tractor again. I have it running well now but it continues to smoke diesel smoke. It was loading up so much it would almost lock up. Now it isn’t that bad but still smoking. I drained the diesel and put in new and added diesel clean. It starts quick and runs well. Doesn’t seem to smoke at idle. I assume an injector is constantly leaking fuel in??? What else might this be?
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 5:47pm
Ford used a CAV style injection pump, the NOZZLES are strictly end delivery devices that pop off at a desired pressure. If it is suspected a dribbler will need to find that hole(will be cold on start up on the exhaust) and pull that nozzle, swap with one of the other good ones. Problem remains in the original hole then there is internal engine issues or possible damage.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Ford used a CAV style injection pump, the NOZZLES are strictly end delivery devices that pop off at a desired pressure. If it is suspected a dribbler will need to find that hole(will be cold on start up on the exhaust) and pull that nozzle, swap with one of the other good ones. Problem remains in the original hole then there is internal engine issues or possible damage.

Thank you. That’s a good start. I’ll check exhaust port temp next time I start it to see if one heats up slow.👍
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 7:50pm
Probably won’t see it with temps. Do you have any white smoke on start up? If so remove manifold and see what port is smoking then proceed with dmillers advice
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:34am
It doesn’t smoke at all at start up. It has to run a few minutes before it starts to smoke. The only white smoke is when going from idle to full throttle. Then it’s whitish but still smells of raw diesel.
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 7:02am
That is a timing shift issue. You will need to take the pump off for rebuild or find some cleaner to run through it. Cummins sells a can of good stuff. Not sure what they call it but it's about a 3 gallon metal can that you run the engine on rather than mix in the fuel.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:21pm
Check inj lines, and injectors, for double copper washers.  If someone has been into it, before, putting 2 washers where there should be 1 can cause 1 or more cyls to be timed 2º or more off spec...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 7:01pm
This thing sat for over 3 years but was running perfect before parked.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 7:04pm
 Hey Thad,,,did you get your Mom's tractor figured out? I ain't ever worked on a diesel so I can't offer any help,,except that according to all the comments,,it is something that occurs AFTER some run time and not right soon at start up,,,,??
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Hey Thad,,,did you get your Mom's tractor figured out? I ain't ever worked on a diesel so I can't offer any help,,except that according to all the comments,,it is something that occurs AFTER some run time and not right soon at start up,,,,??

You are correct. No smoke until it runs a few minutes. It got much better than when I first got it going but still smokes diesel smoke at high rpms.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 8:44pm
If its a misfire, you can loosen the injectors, 1 at a time, and see if it makes a difference in the sound, or rpm.  If you find its a particular injector, Say # 2, move #2 to #3 position, and try again.  If it moves with the injector,  problem solved.  If not, you got pump problems...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 6:51am
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

If its a misfire, you can loosen the injectors, 1 at a time, and see if it makes a difference in the sound, or rpm.  If you find its a particular injector, Say # 2, move #2 to #3 position, and try again.  If it moves with the injector,  problem solved.  If not, you got pump problems...Wink

Thanks Dave that makes perfect sense. Next time I start it I’ll give that a try.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 7:26am
The infamous ran fine when parked, Now Thad you oughta know better!!!

Edited by DMiller - 09 Jun 2019 at 7:26am
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 7:57am
But we all hate it when that happens.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 8:45am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

The infamous ran fine when parked, Now Thad you oughta know better!!!

Yes I should know better. LOL.
Reminds me of an add for a gen 1 Cummins Dodge forsale. I looked at the pic and thought wow what a nice truck. Then read the add which says not the actual truck but this is what it could look like.😂😂
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 6:15pm
If it's black smoke it might be a clogged air filter.
 As it runs the restriction gets greater than at startup.

I've always had good luck with diesel purge.
 for cleaning out pumps and injectors on the VWs.
 Bottle fed straight through the pump, not added to the tank.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 5:40am
Originally posted by wide wide wrote:

If it's black smoke it might be a clogged air filter.
 As it runs the restriction gets greater than at startup.

I've always had good luck with diesel purge.
 for cleaning out pumps and injectors on the VWs.
 Bottle fed straight through the pump, not added to the tank.

When I brought it home I removed and cleaned the air filter. Last time I started it I removed the filter and the smoke remained.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic