This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Catalpa Worm Harvesting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Catalpa Worm Harvesting
    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 4:56am
It's that time of year again.  I have been watching several hatches of new worms on my trees.
    They are now big and fat and due to crawl down to burrow into the ground.
    I'm going out in with my flashlight and see if I can harvest fish bait as they crawl down just at dawn or a bit before.
     I will let you know if my timing and theirs are together for a ambush.
Sponsored Links

Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 6:52am
Right on schedule
     But only 31 of the hundreds up there headed down this morning.  There was no movement toward the ground until it got light enough to see your hand in front of your face. That was about 5:30 AM. In 30 min it was all over for today. There should be a real good size bunch ready to ambush tomorrow morning.
    What worries me is I heard Rain Crows this morning. Better known as Yellow Billed Coocoos. Their favorite worm to eat are Talpa Worms. A Friend who has a grove of Catalpa Trees and sells fresh and frozen worms shoots the Rain Crows on site
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 6:59pm
You know Ken we have a lot of trees here where we live and not a worm in sight, ever. I don't know what the problem is but we just don't have any. Sob, Sob. Sob.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 11:38pm
what kinda worm?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 3:22am
a Catalpa worm is a smaller version of a tomato horn worm. The  larva of a sphinx moth. The catalpa worm at maturity  just before they go to the ground to pupate has a black back and yellow green sides and bottom. The only thing these worms eat are the leaves of the Catalpa Trees
      Some people call them Cattypillers. If you fish for bluegill you bait with pieces of worm cut in thirds. The skin is tough and 1 worm cut up may catch up to 6 nice gills.  Cat fisherman bait with whole worms. I have fished channel cat with both fresh and frozen worms and cats really love them as much as catfishermen do.
     I will be out under a small tree that is nearly ate up again in a few hours to pick them off the trunk as they head down to the ground. It the tree has worms up high eating you don't stand under them looking up with your mouth open. Ha Ha.

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 4:44am
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 6:32am
Ok I guess I learned something today! Not sure how I may use this? Interesting! A batch of grilled bluegill fillets sounds good though!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 7:56am
FYI
    There are no Catalpa Worms left to pick off this small tree. I looked it over real good in good daylight.  Don't have a count yet.  I freeze 25 to a ziplock filled with water.
    I have noticed 4 or 5 new hatches on other trees on the place. If I can harvest more I will have Talpa Worm fish bait a plenty till next year.
    For you Trout Fishermen. Winter stocked Rainbow Trout like them too.  Cut in thirds like for Bluegills.
     Great bunch of photos from DIY Dave. Showed what a Albino looks like. Albinows are quite rare.

Edited by Ken in Texas - 07 Jun 2019 at 8:00am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 1:59pm
Worm Count from this Morning was 263.  + the  3i  from yesterday.   That's a lot of some of the best fish bait known to man.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 11:21pm
If you roll them inside out it seems to attract catfish better. Another natural bait are catalpa.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 5:47am
I will be after more fish bait again in a few seconds.  There are TWO big tall trees to chose from this morning. My wife who likes to fish too is taking the biggest tree right next to her clothes line. She knows there are plenty up there for all the worm poop getting on her clean clothes.  I will let you know how we do today.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 11:37am
Would that be catapoop or poopalpa? Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 5:23am
Well Folks It was 56 Degrees yesterday at dawn. Catalpa worms like it HOT. The hotter the better. At 56 they were motionless. They were not eating or pooping and not a one I could see were even thinking of crawling down at 56 degrees. I will try again in a little while. It is 69 out there right now. That should be warm enough for them to be active. After it warmed up yesterday they went back to eating and pooping but not a one crawled down because they seem to only crawl down at dawn. If it is warm enough that is.
    This is a new quirk I just learned Yesterday about how warm it needs to be for Talpa worms to be "Hot to Trot"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 5:53pm
No room left in the freezer for anymore Catalpa Worms.  The two past mornings they kept  me busy running back and forth between two big Catalpa Trees in the yard. Just before the sun came up worms began crawling down both tree trunks nose to tail.  Total take for the two mornings. 650 more to bag up 25 at a time in ziplock snack size baggies full of water. I have not made a total count for the season yet. Think I may have enough to sell a few on Craigslist. I see them selling frozen for $5.95 a dozen. Come and get em. 25 for $10.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic