This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D grader help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D grader help
    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 7:11am
Our tractor club recently acquired a very early model D grader for our pulling track mantainece. I have now gotten it running and up on all 6 tires. While switching tires around, I found that the left front driver isn’t connected. When I took off the inspection covers, I see the chain is missing to that wheel. Does anyone know the size and length of the chain? I’d rather not have to remove another one to get the size.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 8:18am
Paul here is a link to the parts books.  tandem is listed on p144 of  339.   be aware early graders used different sprockets and chain pitch according to the book.  i have no experience just going by what im seeing in parts book.

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 8:40am
Good morning.
   CAL(KS) beat me to it. Pages 138 + shows the parts; but, does not explain the actual chain size (etc.). The chain and sprockets may have changed over the years. Note that this book is revised and reprinted in Apr. 1989. I suspect that you will have to actually get inside the unit to verify items.
   Any pictures?

Ross.

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 5:50am
Thanks for the link to the parts book. I have now determined that it is #100 roller chain.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 3:20pm
I had a 1959 D grader that had one chain loose in the cab when I got it. The master link had pulled apart. The ends of the driven sprockets seemed to have some damage so I used a magnet to check for metal filings in the chain box. I pulled out a badly beaten socket that appeared to have been rolling around in the chain box and would occasionally jamb between one of the sprockets and the chain box. Eventually one of the chains came apart. I cleaned and flushed the chain box and repaired the broken chain. The chains in this box seemed to have more slack than the chains in the other box so both chains must have stretched a little. It appeared that the chains must have stretch enough that an occasional bang indicated that a chain would jump a tooth now and then. I ordered two new chains for that side. And yes they are easily obtained #100 chain. I would advise that you replace the existing chain in that box so that both chains will have the same slack. You can use the existing chain to determine the correct number of links to order.
Jack of all trades, master of none
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic