This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

movin on out chapter two

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: movin on out chapter two
    Posted: 24 May 2019 at 4:18pm
gave my notice this morning at 7am. by 9 manager in and told me to get my belongings and leave. said that they would pay me to the end of my two week notice. works for me, get paid for not working for two weeks. not a thank you, kiss my ass or nothing for the eight years i worked there. i knew was right thing to do, typical of  todays employers and mis-managers nowadays.
1955 WD-45 WIDE FRONT W/ TRIP
LOADER
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 4:39pm
Trace,
 Your going to be fine. Sound like you made the right move from this company. Time to reinvent yourself! What CAD system were you using?
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 6:31pm
gee that sounds EXACTLY the way my boss at Stelco treated me 33 years ago ! I decided to leave when I found out the kid, 6 years junior to me was getting $5,000 more than me. That was in 1986. I kinda wonder what happend to the other 10 guys, Stelco got bought out by USSteel, basically a ghost mill now.
while I've never had a paycheck since then still managed to pay off house, put food on the table and help others.
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 9:13pm
There was a time when years of age, years of employment and such meant something to a company. Now they just want to put the older generation out to pasture to make way for the younger crowd who seem to think that they've learned everything that they need to know in college. One company that I know of was offering retirement buy outs for older workers, saying that they were saving so much money by hiring new workers without seniority. I'd like to know how their calculator works, when they are paying the younger crowd the same thing that the older ones were getting. Darrel
trace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 10:02pm
chris: used chief architect for last 8 years. good program. have used autocad and architectural desktop in the past.
LOADER
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

One company that I know of was offering retirement buy outs for older workers, saying that they were saving so much money by hiring new workers without seniority. I'd like to know how their calculator works, when they are paying the younger crowd the same thing that the older ones were getting. Darrel

Is it the benefits the older/more seniority workers were getting? 

I have almost 20 years in where I work, started out with a defined benefit pension + 401K. Company made an "adjustment" about 10 years ago and I made it by less than a year (age and years worked) to still be part of the pension. Last year they "adjusted" it again. My pension amount is at a standstill. No more contributions by the employer. Still will get it (as of now) but amount will not increase and will supposedly go on until I or my wife dies last. Now it is a company contribution program + 401K. They contribute X amount of dollars and when I retire and Y amount is gone it is gone. Doesn't matter if I am 85 or 105.

Am I complaining? No. It is "free money" that I am getting and I know many workplaces completely eliminated their pension plan so I feel lucky that so far I still have mine.

Back to the original question, some of the "hidden benefits" may be quite expensive for a company for a senior worker. Costs that are not incurred with a younger worker.

Edited by iowallis - 24 May 2019 at 11:04pm
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 11:03pm
School don't teach real world. Place my brother works "retired' some of the grayheads in last couple years. He's in design. His boss is griping about the kids are trying to do stuff they learned 30 yrs ago doesn't work.. Get what you pay for.LOL
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 6:59am
Schools teach theory, life teaches hard knocks and reality, for those that do not teach the failures, the failures will recur.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 11:02am
Pensions are a great concept! I believe in mine when I cash the first check! Worked for Maytag for 20 plus years with the great 30 and out pension hanging out there. Yeah, that got 'bought-out' in the closing for about 3 cents on the $. The place I work for now has a pension, not nearly as good as what Maytag offered and I'm NOT holding my breath. Taking advantage of the 401K and a Roth IRA.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 11:55am
Trace the same happened with me as soon as my boss got wind that I turned in my notice she made up some excuse for me to not stay the last two weeks. She was a real peach that one was. Keep your chin up and brush their dirt from your feet and don't look back. Their opinion means nothing. You are the better person.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 12:49pm
Wife worked in 'health records' at local hospital....they offered her a 'package' ,16 years ago. I know cause granddaughter is 16 , YEESH !!
Anyway did the math and she'd make MORE if she took the package. I said it was a nobrainer... make MORE and NOT have to drive to work,pay for parking, dues,clothes, food AND not have the boss/job STRESS !! We took care of GD for 1st 7 years. GREAT kid, KNOWS how to say please and thankyou, 90+ in highschool marks too.

trace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 1:49pm
got a start workin at home today couldn't ask for much better. 71 and sunny, rain comin tonite till wednesday. dont know how their gonna get crops in. first week with no job in about 42 years gonna be different. sure fell calmer but maybe blue moon and vodka doin that, lol. will find out.
LOADER
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 4:26pm
Trace,
Ok so maybe you will just retire and love it? I do!Smile Took me about 37 seconds to get used to the no work thing!.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 26 May 2019 at 4:27pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 11:09am
Just 6 months shy of “retirement eligible”, my 50th birthday and almost 30 years with them, they called me out of meeting and gave me “the package”. Told me I could stay another 90 days while I look for another job inside/ outside company but my “package” would reduce proportionately so basically working for free. Told them I’d just go ahead and leave now. HR Lady said, you mean RIGHT now. I said yep, my boss says to her “I told you he’d leave”. They then asked if I’d consult for the short term. Said, “Nah, too busy.” Walked out with one in college and two more heading there. Stressful at first but now I’ve less stress, more fun and a lot of opportunities! Never looked back.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 1:48pm
guess I don't understand how they can 'let you go' then expect you to stay...
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 2:16pm
Some large unions have it in the contract that you have to give 60 days notice prior to a large lay off Normally not for management, but they know your hearts not in it after the MEETING, so many don't even expect you to stay the 2 weeks ( notice time).
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by FloydKS FloydKS wrote:

guess I don't understand how they can 'let you go' then expect you to stay...

I know. Seems crazy. But it’s a little trickery to play on a persons fear. People stay hoping to find another “internal” position. They typically do but st 2/3rds the salary. Company reduces payroll and also retains a skilled/ experienced employee. Ironically the majority of those getting this were white males around 50 and older. In my case, they placed a female that was 20 younger and lower pay into my old position.... and gave her two more staff after she couldn’t keep up.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 6:14pm
So now the company is paying for three to do the work that ol' Scott had done ... really great figuring should send a note to the VP of the company about the shenanigans the boss pulled.... and then demand him fired for discrimination because of age...  and trying to slight you on the package you were promised when you hired on.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 8:27pm
 JC,,,,,JC,,you shoulda been a labor lawyer,,,you knowin how to talk to them VP's and ceo's,,,,,,Clap 
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:44pm
JC it doesn't work that way,,,,,,,,the VP's and CEO's don't do ANYTHING!!  They get paid $$$$$$$$$  but don't know anything.  I'll never figure that out.

The WORST part of retirement is you lose ALL your vacation time, NO holiday pay, no PT, NO FREE TIME ANYMORE EITHER!!

Darrel, they hire the younger people at less salary / $ per hour, no vacation time, no comp time, less medical coverage, so you can see why they let the older crowd go.
As for that 2 week BS,,,,,,,they don't give you any when they let you go, why should you give them any.  There is NO allegiance any more in the working world.  You show up for work on Tuesday and are there for 10 minutes.  In walks HR and a private security guard and WALK you OUT right now.  You don't even get to pick up the pic of your wife/girlfriend.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 11:02pm
Been working for me for 40 yrs. Bout got fired a couple times but realized I couldn't get by without me. No pension but hey!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 12:34pm
Yeah, and I heard SteveM's boss is really difficult to work for! LOL
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Been working for me for 40 yrs. Bout got fired a couple times but realized I couldn't get by without me. No pension but hey!

Wink I got the same boss man but he is getting old LOL so it's easy to slip by him and get extra nap in now LOLLOL days.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 4:59pm
Dang, I think I would be REAL tempted to go the 90 day "consulting" way, then just keep repeating "I don't know" every time a question came up.
 My cousin put in 30 years at the nuke plant here, for Com ED. He was less than a year from full retirement when they told him the eliminated his job and he wouldn't be needed anymore. Then they turn around and asked him to stay on an extra 2 weeks to train the "new guy". He was a bit miffed, to say the least! He did go back and work part time, when they were short handed several times, but only if he needed a little extra cash and he didn't have plans for the week.
 Both my younger brothers retired in the last year, and both have gone back to work part time, to fill in when things get busy. That's quite a bit different than being told you're no longer needed , then asked to stay on though.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 3:38am

"He was less than a year from full retirement when they told him the eliminated his job and he wouldn't be needed anymore. Then they turn around and asked him to stay on an extra 2 weeks to train the "new guy"."
 Pull out the recorder and say, "I didn't hear what you said, can you repeat that again?"
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 5:39am
IF and that's a BIG 'IF' you do go back as a consultant, be sure YOU make the contract !! Be sure it favours YOU both in wages,perks and bonuses !! Do what 'they' the CEOs do for themselves !! Heads of ALL the hospitals here get 1 million in cash and perks,do nothing but bury patients.
If 'they' want you bad enough they WILL sighn YOUR deal. MAKE them come to you but ONLY if you don't value being able to sit at home twiddlin thumbs.... in my case I've got 15 jobs jotted on paper and 7 or 8 from yesterday. When you're retired it's interesting to see howmany 'friends,family', neighbours AND strangers decide YOU can do their 'little jobs-won't take long'......

Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 8:40am
One of my friends who is trained to do the same job as myself said that a head hunter called him to see if he was interested in my old job. I told him to shoot for the moon pay wise. He would lose the company car taking my old position so he is going to ask for 50% more than he is currently making to make up for the car and lose of overtime. I wished him luck. My old boss is going to find out that to find someone trained will cost real money. Hate it for her....NOT!!
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 9:37pm
my new employee is 62 yr.s and a little slower getting around,    and i would not trade him for five of these young ones coming up. what he has in skills and knowlage is very valueble to my bisness.         so there are still some of us out there that do care
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 8:33pm
trace, I know what you mean. I myself am kinda in the same boat. mostly have my mind made up I will be leaving my job after our special needs adult son gets placed, and settled into a group home. I really enjoy what I do for a living, but have come to realize I don't like doing it for the butt-wipes that run the company.
So, I am gradually saving sales tickets, sales orders, pricing schedules, route info, etc.,etc., of my current employer's best customers that I will forward over to my next employer.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 10:48pm
Do be careful with what info you share with a future employer.  You could open yourself to legal trouble with your former employer.  Just saying...
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic