This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis-Chalmers Model D grader wheel bearings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wn willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis-Chalmers Model D grader wheel bearings
    Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:58am
Does anyone have any info on length of time it takes to change wheel bearings on the tandems of a model D? Inner & outer bearings.
Sponsored Links

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 8:53am
It would depend on a lot of things. --How fast you can work, how many helpers, what is stuck and hard to get out, etc. , etc.---- I looked at mine, and there is no way I would tackle it!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
wn willis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wn willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:28am
Yep. I`m having that same thought. Thanks.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 12:12pm
I pulled two of the axles on mine without much trouble but didn't change any bearings. When I got my D grader two wheels were loose and the tapers and the keys and keyways were damaged due to a flaw in the original manufacturing. I had to have these machined to fix the problem. I would say that the biggest hurdle would be breaking the wheel free of the axle because of the tapered shaft. Mine were already loose so that was not a problem for me.
Jack of all trades, master of none
wn willis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wn willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 2:44pm
The outer oil seals are leaking,and have to be changed. Thought I would change inner and outer bearings while at it. I`ll post the results when completed. Not looking forward to the task.

Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 7:42pm
The hubs  were a problem for us. Ours had a broken chain. When one opens one of these old machines up, you never know what you will find. Our machine needed pivot bushings,  axle seals, new chains, the bearings were not all bad, however. Oil seals were put in backward so the fluid was moving into the center differential from the chain cases. 
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
wn willis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wn willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 8:13am
any trouble getting the bearings off?
wn willis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wn willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 8:16am
Thanks. I haven`t started on it yet. What did you use to pull the wheels?
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 7:52pm
The hubs are tapped for 1" bolts. Drill a steel bar to match the holes, with two bolts and tighten. It may require some heat. The bearings are not difficult to remove after you have endured the hubs.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 11:38pm
"The hubs are tapped for 1" bolts. Drill a steel bar to match the holes, with two bolts and tighten."

Or use two bolts to attach the bar to the wheel and have a forcing screw that pushes on the end of the axle.  Then when you have that screw  as tight as you can get it flog the end of the forcing screw with a BFH - the bigger the better.  Seems a 28 pounder works fine on Cat 12 hubs.

You could just use the two bolts if you make sure you can get a clean hit to the end of the axle - maybe weld a bit of steel so the hammer will  clear the bolts
wn willis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wn willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 3:35am
All axels on the tandem were damaged due to bearings being worn out. Had to go to machine shop for grooves to be built up and machined to specs. 4 inches of crud in the tandem cases. The hubs required a porta power with much pressure to remove. After pressuring up, let sit for about 15 minutes  then hit puller with a sledge hammer and they popped off. Just don't  stand in front of hub when striking with the hammer as the hub travels more than a few feet when it pops off. Had to replace all bearings and seals plus machine shop work. Not inexpensive, but necessary. I'm now searching for a creeper gear to install as 1st gear is a bit fast for close work. I would not recommend applying heat to get the hubs off, or hitting with a hammer. The chains were good. Apparently new chains were installed prior to my purchase of the machine. The previous owner installed a hydraulic cylinder and pump to assist with steering which is a good addition. Switching to electronic ignition is a definite plus. More power and starts on 1st rev of the crankshaft.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 5:06pm
I agree that the D grader is geared a little fast and the creeper gear would help. The trans axle was made by Clarke and the small Galion graders of the same vintage also used this trans axle so this may open up more chances of finding one.
Jack of all trades, master of none
wn willis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wn willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 8:38am
Thanks. That will give a larger search area instead of focusing only on A/C.  I appreciate that the members of this forum are willing to share information and experience.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic