This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need some help and info about 210 engine swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some help and info about 210 engine swap
    Posted: 21 May 2019 at 9:35pm
Ok guys here's what's going on.I'm about 99% sure I have an MK II 3700 irrigation motor that I got to replace the engine in the 210,which I can't positive it had original engine in it.
So what I did was swapped oil pans on these engines because the irrigation pan had a site glass on it like a shut off switch or mercury switch maybe so I just swapped them and they have the same slope at the back of the engine and if memory serves me the irrigation motor also has a crank driven pump so I assumed they would swap and all would be ok.
Now I put the motor on Sunday and it bolted on ok and I can put the transmission in gear and move the tractor by turning the crank pulley so I'm pretty sure the shaft when in correctly.
Now though the oil pan is touching the axle and the drain plug on the pan is against the axle also.
I am absolutely stumped here because I have seen tractors with what I assume is a 3700 engine in them.

So please ask what kind of information you might need to help me identify this engine exactly because I simply don't know everything LOL.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 6:42am
It may very well be a "3700" engine, but there are probably 3 or 4 different oil pans for a 3700 engine. It depends on the engine application, which is reflected in the catalog number on the engine serial number tag. Don't even ask. I don't have a magic "catalog" book giving all the different engine specs. If the pan doesn't fit your tractor, it isn't an engine that was spec'd for a model 210/220 farm tractor. There are also different oil pumps. A combine engine has a different oil pump and oil pan than any AC tractor.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 8:32am
The pan on a 210 I built up a few years ago came off a 7080. Parts books online showed same part number. There was a difference in drain plugs, but it all worked fine. I'm wondering if your axle wishbone has been modified? Beleive it or not, there is a part number on the pan if you can find it through all the paint lol! Seems to me it was near the bolts. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:28am
It sounds like your'e saying you had a pan that fit on first engine and now won't fit when on second engine.That can't be...the blocks are the "same".
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 11:08am
different pans have different pick up tubes for the oil pump - be careful - starvation or blockage could result.   BUT if you used the OEM 210 oil pan and it hit the axle - you are in the 'twilight zone'. 
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Kevin210 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:06pm
So ok here's what happened this afternoon when my brother came over and took a look.
He stands there in front of the tractor and kneels down and is looking at it and
then looks up at me and says it has to work,same block,same flywheel,oil pans made the same,both motors have crank driven oil pump right.
Then he tells me to put the jack under the frame rails at the front of tractor and jack it up with a little smurk on his face,so I did and jack up the the front rails and so up comes the engine too off the axle,DUH !!!!!!.
I felt like an idiot right.

I didn't have the bolster in yet either and didn't even think about everything lining up and fitting with it in.

So I believe the problem was to much over thinking and there is no problem after all.Go figure.
So this evening I have been chasing all threads in the bolster as it has been off since summer of 95,so it needs some attention before going back on.
concretepumper View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concretepumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:23pm
I have put 2 gen set 3500 motors in tractors, one a d21 the other a 210, because of the deep crank driven oil pumps, I switched out oil pans to a 7000 series due to the fact gen sets don't have baffles in them because they are stationary. On both they had 2 oil drain plugs, one on the bottom and one on the side. I've had to put flush hex plugs in the side drain ports due to front axle clearing issues.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic