This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1938 Allis Chalmers WC Speed Mantainer Grader!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alanv8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1938 Allis Chalmers WC Speed Mantainer Grader!
    Posted: 15 May 2019 at 11:16am
Hello everyone! I'm Alan, from Argentina. I've bought an Allis Chalmers Grader yesterday, and i'm wanting to "restore" it to take it back to life. I don't know much about it, cause i didn't have time to read the original plates to see the year of manufacturing and model of it. I took some pictures, so if any of you can give me some advice or info about it, i would be very gratefull!!
Also i'm afraid that some part is missing in the Wayco distributor, does anyone has a photo of a similar one?? i've been looking in the internet but i can't find the same one...

Thank you very much in advace!!!

Edited by Alanv8 - 07 Jul 2019 at 8:29am
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 12:17pm
Built on wc tractor chassis.  If the rear wheels are original i would say early 1938 as it is the unstyled version.  Did you mean  WICO magneto?  unless it has a special magneto from south america  they are very common  here in the usa
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Alanv8 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alanv8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by CAL(KS) CAL(KS) wrote:

Built on wc tractor chassis.  If the rear wheels are original i would say early 1938 as it is the unstyled version.  Did you mean  WICO magneto?  unless it has a special magneto from south america  they are very common  here in the usa
Hi Cal!! Thank you for your quick responde!! Yes, i think is a wico Magneto, i did a quick look yesterday night as it was too late and can not remember exactly. I believe the cap is missing cause it has no distributor.  I would like to run it this weekend but without this i find it impossible CrySleepy

edit: The missing cap is something like this?? (i found the photo on ebay)

Edited by Alanv8 - 15 May 2019 at 2:14pm
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 2:18pm
many different 4 cylinder models of magnetos could work as long as the impulse angle and rotation are corrrect.  i dont know the specs myself but someone will post here for you. good luck
  as far as i know most of the ones here in the usa used Fairbanks Morse  Or FM  mags

Edited by CAL(KS) - 15 May 2019 at 2:19pm
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 2:51pm
Steve at B&B should be able to help you if parts are available 
Alanv8 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alanv8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 6:27am
Hi!! It seem to be a 1938 as you said!!! It has a series A WICO Mag, but as i mentioned, the distributor cap is missing and, i believe, i will never find it here around. has anyone changed the ignition system for something newer? electronic o something like that?? 

Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 6:31am
You have an Unstyled WC Speed Maintainer. 411 were built in 1938 and 1939 with the majority being the styled version that also has a different and improved grader frame where it mount at the front. Someone has extended the front end. They were replaced by the extended front with a wide front axle WC Speed Patrol that is fairy common. Mine is only one of three unstyled versions that I know about 

Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 9:04am
very nice
HD3
Alanv8 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alanv8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 7:44pm
Hi Calvin!! thank you for your response!! I didn't noticed that the front end was modified until you mentioned that!!! jeje. I think i will restore it back to it's original length, i like it most...

Here i found a video of a similar road mantainer.  

Do you have more pictures of this grader model? 

Up to now, the missing parts are: the hood, the fuel tank, the magneto distributor cap, and the grader blade clamps. Will post some pics later to figure out how they should be, cause the grader blade have more fixing point than the ones that i have seen. 
Alanv8 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alanv8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 8:05pm
The front plate from the grader in the video says  1C141 , mine says 1C138, and yours Calvin?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 6:11am
My plate is 1C114. I do have lots of pictures and an owners manual along with advertising and sales brochures. I did not know about the Maintainer at the museum.  
Alanv8 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alanv8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 4:09pm
Nice!!! Have you ever used it as a graver? I need to make a way/road in quite soft soil, do you think it can make it?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 7:55pm
I have not used the Maintainer. Years ago I had a Speed Patrol which was the model that came after the Speed Maintainer. It had an extended front frame and wide front. I used it until we put down recycled asphalt and then later real pavement. You should have no problems grading dirt as long as you don't make your cut too deep all at once. 
Alanv8 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alanv8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 5:47am
Hello everyone!!! Thank you Calvin!!! This week i've started the restoration, in particular with the rear wheels, rims painting and tire change. I built a tool to remove the old tires and assemble the "new" ones. Will post pictures soon!!! Big smileBig smile

Is this grading blade original from allis chalmers? it's 3 m wide and the grabbing points seem not to be original. Was it modified?

Alanv8 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alanv8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 11:36am
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 1:14pm
that sound of it running sure boost the spirits that is areal neat machine
Alanv8 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alanv8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 8:33am
Originally posted by HudCo HudCo wrote:

that sound of it running sure boost the spirits that is areal neat machine

Ohh yesss!! it sounds wonderful!! 81 years and still running like first day!!!LOL

Here you have a video of the first round 

200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 2:54pm
That is certainly great.
Alanv8 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alanv8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 6:03pm

NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 9:33pm
works good in that soil for sure

steer with the brakes?

HD3
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 11:18pm
real nice
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 6:49am
Given some basic attention those old Allis' just keep on working Good job Alan! Beautiful soil your pushing there too!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Alanv8 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alanv8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by NomoreJohnDeere NomoreJohnDeere wrote:

works good in that soil for sure

steer with the brakes?

Yes, really difficult to get used to operate it jeje
Still got pain in my arms

Edited by Alanv8 - 30 Jul 2019 at 7:28pm
Alanv8 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alanv8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by HudCo HudCo wrote:

real nice
thanks hoy!!!
Alanv8 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alanv8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Given some basic attention those old Allis' just keep on working Good job Alan! Beautiful soil your pushing there too!
Regards,
 Chris

Thank you!!

Now i understand why did the previous owner modified the front end. Otherwise the soil would get stuck in the wheel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic