This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Manure spreaders, honey wagons, poo taxi s.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaredC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manure spreaders, honey wagons, poo taxi s.....
    Posted: 11 May 2019 at 9:11pm
Thinking about getting an old wheel drive poo spreader to add to the project list. I'd end up using it for what it was made for.

Anyone ever do a restoration on one? Have seen a few at shows and they look great. As someone once told me "$#!t spreaders aren't romantic but they were (are) one of the most important things on the farm."

Lots of the things sitting on rock piles, out in the woods, in junk piles, tucked into a fence row. Forgotten and just waiting for some attention. Probably dreaming about the glory days gone by that really at times stunk. Lol

Jared

Edited by JaredC(WI) - 11 May 2019 at 9:15pm
Sponsored Links

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 11:01pm
I helped my dad rebuild one back in the 70s. The chain had to be loosened up it was stuck in the shape but we removed it and hammered all the links to loosten them up. Dad made a few cross bars for the drag chain. The links were still avaliable but not the cross bars. Lots of welding tabs on new links and bending cross bars and riveting them together.Removed all the rotten wood flooring and replaced it with rough sawn oak soaked in linseed oil. Put newer used truck tires on it. And put it to work. I cleaned and greased it every summer after e spread in the spring and it went back out in the tree row. It's probably still sitting there.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 7:53am
Jared,
I think I would try to find one with not many poop spreading hours! Or something like that.
 Any of the ones we had led a hard life on Dads, dairy farm! It was always a challenge keeping it functioning to keep the barns clean. They worked hard every day in the fall winter and spring when the cows were in. Main issues were the webs breaking. Dragging a loaded spreader through deep frozen ruts was like a Indy driver picking his way through a crowd of cars! If you made the wrong move the results were about the same: A big pile of poop and lots of work to clean up the mess!:) FYI Dad always used one of the WD45's with chains on hooked to the spreader,  because it could be kept in the warm barn behind the cows. 
I dont think I have seen a lot of restoration work on them on here. Would be interesting to follow. Not sure about some of the parts availability. I passed on a real nice restored poop unit years ago when I bought my Jubilee. 
Good luck!
Post pictures!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 12 May 2019 at 8:01am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 12:01pm
I have done 2 complete restorations one was a MM LS300 that had a good frame tires and metal.  I replaced all the wood and took it to several shows and an MM collector decided he wanted it worse than me so I gave him a price and he handed me dead presidents on the spot.  The other was an ancient IHC that was actually green red and white and again had everything but the wood on it.  This one was so old it had oil cups instead of  zerk fittings.  Both were fairly easy to restore and were not  that hard.  Go for it.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 3:11pm
Up here they want a LOT of 'dead presidents'(well Queens actually) for 'used , abused' spreaders...I have no idea why...I keep looking for a small unit though if it keeps raining, an ARK , would be a better buy !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
JaredC(WI) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaredC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 12:46am
Lol, the rain is crazy this year for everyone it seems!

The whole seed of the idea is my 5yr olds, lol. Came up with it last year after attending a show with me. He thinks we should get one for wagon rides. Actually a really cool idea if we got into attending shows as more than spectators.

Have my eye on a 4 wheeled wood sided narrow pooper just a couple of miles away. Was in an old shed up until around 5 yrs ago. The shed came down one winter and that was that.

Land owners cleaned up the debris some what after someone must have stopped by inquiring about a boat that was also visible under all the boards. The boat and a few other things were hauled out. But the poo spreader remains :)

5 years ago I wasn't overly interested much in such things. That would have been the time to get it! Hopefully 5 yrs of weather haven't took too much of a toll.

Haven't looked at it up close so maybe it isn't even worth the effort. Who knows. Maybe this weekend I'll get over there and take a peek. Looks good from the road.

If I get one, will make sure to get some pics. The actual fixn' may take a decade or more with the few minutes here and there that are free/fun time!

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:55am
Lots of them in parades, here's an idea:

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 8:34am
dang,,,i have one i was just telling myself i should sell,,,

it has well since i have owned it never been left with poo in it and has always ,,,again since i have owned it never sat outside ,,,used it for horse poo.......

but now its kinda in the way,,,only have 1 old horse left and i dont want any more to take care of in the winter,,,,,

so i think i am going to sell the spreader i have

it is about 15' long fan to hitch,,,wood is still pretty good,,,everything works,,,tires are ok,,,,still hold air,,,i think it is a mccormick??? i think,,,,paint is long gone

i think it would be a good project for somebody ,,,,or to just keep using it

ocharry
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 6:10pm
Would you be interested in a 800 gallon BETTER BILT vac/pressure liquid spreader?? Hauled 10's of thousands of gallons with a D-17 Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic