This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another dang project,,,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another dang project,,,,,,
    Posted: 01 May 2019 at 10:28pm
 Well,,I couldn't sleep, so I started checking some FB marketplace ads and come across what looks like a misprint,,,or a scam....Post says 1940's Massey Ferguson tractor. Needs new engine. I mean the price is so dang cheap even ole Shameless would of jumped all over it.
 It was bout 3 am but I figured ,,,what the heck, so I shot em a message for more info. Long bout 7:30 they respond and give me a phone number. I call and the sweetest sounding young thing breathes into my ear that they got my message, gives me an address and tells me,,,,,,,Ya better bring your money and trailer Quick cause they is 11 other dudes hot on the trail of this tractor,,,,,,,I ask her to name the price and she breathes the same price as listed, so I tell her I'll be there in a pair of minutes. 24 minutes later I drive up to their house and there are 2 other dudes with trailers waitin to see what I'm gonna do since I was first caller. That right there is one  honest girl as one of the other AH's offers her twice what I'm fixin to pay,,so I flip him off twice for good measure and start loading it up. The girl's husband or BF walks up and helps load it and in 15 minutes I've got it boomed down, payed her off ,, kissed both of them on the cjheek and headed home,,,,,,, The girl tells me it was her Grandpa's tractor and the throttle got stuck wide open and threw #4 rod before he could close the throttle. The tin is in GREAT shape and overall tractor is very clean. Rears are decent but fronts are ruined from settin flat.  I'm almost embarrassed to name the price, but easily worth 5 times what I gave em,,,,,more when i get it running,,,
 See what ya'll think,Clap
Sponsored Links

Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 4:11am
You did good Joe!! I have one of them Fergusons too.

Good luck with getting her running and keep us in the loop.đź‘Ť
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 5:11am
I think the girl you dealt with is a rare bird these days. Good lookin tractor. Good lookin truck bed.
I assume that tractor has a Z134 continental. Should be easy to get parts for. You dun good
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 6:05am
Pictures of the girl?
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 7:18am
35 ? Nice mowing tractors . Every guy with a 5 acre spread wants one of those . Power to wieght ratio is nice . Does it have differential lock ?
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 8:44am
  Chit,,,got up a tad late this mornin and ain't got out just yet,,,Wink
 Hey Stan,,,tellin you the troot,,,,,I thought it was one of them Fords ole Shameless loves so well is why I got it,,,,,LOL,,Say!!  I may be callin you for a cylinder head as the girl's BF said all they got was the tractor and gas tank on this trip but told me he would go back this weekend and get the cylinder head and oil pan at no extra cost to me,,(I drive a hard bargain, I do),,,,so I'm hopin to get a call from them maybe next week.
 Hey Thad,,where is the model # on these? The BF was reading off a tag by steering wheel to the girl who was writing em down on bill of sale. Numbers are TO-50432. Can Ya'll decipher for me??
 Hey Pat,, how do I tell if it has "differential lock"?  It does have a working 3 point and PTO according to the girl. By the way,,,,she texted me last night and asked if I might be interested in the implements her Grandpa had for the tractor,,,,I said HECK YEA,,,, ( I'm gettin to like her more and more,,,think she remembers the kiss on da cheek)
 NO PICS,,,Cabin,,,gonna keep her for my own self for a while,,,You understand,,I hope,,,,,WinkWink
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 10:01am
Serial # list from FergusonTractors.org

50432 corresponds to 1951 TO-20  if that is the serial #

Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Edited by chaskaduo - 02 May 2019 at 10:08am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 10:03am
Joe, you STOLE that tractor from the poor girl and you don't even have the least bit of remorse. LOL But you did good. Thumbs Up Very few honest upstanding people like her left in this world.  Are you going to let her see it when you get it all fixed up?  And you can send me pictures of the young lady; too far away for me to interfere and besides my wife wouldn't let me bring her home.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 12:30pm
TO 20 was underpowered and do not believe those had a differential lock . The 35 had alot of updates and was a superior tractor. The paint threw me off . The 20 was comparable to the first 9ns

Edited by Pat the Plumber CIL - 02 May 2019 at 12:30pm
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 1:23pm
Very nice! That should be a nice tractor once you get it running! Somewhat similar to an 8N, as far as time of manufacture, power, and 4 speed transmission. Except for the overhead valve engine. 
Looks like it has a 9N front axle. 
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 2:33pm
Joe,
 You did real good!:) Looking forward to seeing you get working on it.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 9:49pm
I dont remember a TO 2o ever being painted Red. I have put tires on some and they were all gray.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 11:04pm
 Hey Chask,,,thanks for that link,,,,Clap
 Hubert,,,,Hubert,,,settle down now,,,I done told ole Cabin he gonna have to wait hisself,,,,I'll,,,,I'lll,,,,well,,,Let's just say you gonna have to wait,,,,,,,LOL
 CHIT,,,I'm surprised ole JC ain't climbing the walls and postin all kinds of them pics he's got stashed,,,,,,,WinkWink 
  Hey Creston,,,, since you is the forum Guru on them little Ford class tractors,,,hav you ever heard or read where others have swapped in other engines into a Massey like this one,,,??? I think it was ole Thad that said this was prolly a Continental built engine. I'ma gonna post some other pics so maybe ya'll can tell more what I really got. 
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 1:52am
The big improvement over a ferd is it has an overhead valve engine and I think 4 speeds forward.  Not Allis but a cousin!
BTW,. it looks like one of those rare air cooled models...

Edited by JohnCO - 03 May 2019 at 2:00am
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 5:30am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Hey Chask,,,thanks for that link,,,,Clap
 Hubert,,,,Hubert,,,settle down now,,,I done told ole Cabin he gonna have to wait hisself,,,,I'll,,,,I'lll,,,,well,,,Let's just say you gonna have to wait,,,,,,,LOL
 CHIT,,,I'm surprised ole JC ain't climbing the walls and postin all kinds of them pics he's got stashed,,,,,,,WinkWink 
  Hey Creston,,,, since you is the forum Guru on them little Ford class tractors,,,hav you ever heard or read where others have swapped in other engines into a Massey like this one,,,??? I think it was ole Thad that said this was prolly a Continental built engine. I'ma gonna post some other pics so maybe ya'll can tell more what I really got. 

Judging by the paint I figured a TO35 which I think had a 134
I’ve never messed with a 20 but I assume a continental ohv.
Yesterday’s tractors has a very good knowledgeable MF group. And parts sources.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 5:52am
Looks to be a Z120 Continental. I texted you the tractor Data engine details. Let me know if you get them.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 8:29am
Well DJ, I was juss keepin my opinions to myself for awhile to hear more of your romance an luv story with that finless gall lookin through her grill... At the moment you sure can't heat her radiator up...

DJ,  juss think of thet thing as a chick magnet when ye gets her all shined up....
an if ye had a sunshade on it...
Hey, heres a decal you can download and slap on her hood...
Or one that ye can slap on both sides of the hood...Wink

Now why didn't ye pick on a sweetie something like this???

Well whatever, anyways good luck with Missy Fergusan...
 I'm outta here....
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 10:39am

Chit,,JC,,,one can always count on you to liven up a conversation,,,,,especially if it contains people of the fair'er sex,,,OH Chit,,there's thet word again,,,and,,,,and,, don't you be postin pic that has to do with thet word,,,,they be bannin both of us for life , you do that,,,,,,,WinkLOL
 SAY,,,them right there is some sweet lookin ,,,,,,,,,, UMmmmm,,,,,,sweet lookin gulp,,,,tractors,,,there I got it out,,,Clap
 I'm kinda likin that bright red one's color scheme,,,THE TRACTOR, JC,,The Tractor,,,,,Wink

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 10:44am
 Hey Creston and John,,,The casting  numbers around the shifter say it is a 5 speed tranny,,,,???
 As always,,,I'm having issues trying to upload pics from the friggin smart fone to the PC,,,but ole TJ ain't givin up,,,,,,,,Clap
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 11:38am
Joe,
I gotta' nice 4.3L V6 Vortec Chevy you could drop right in that thing. That'll be a real chick magnet!!  You could even take it to the cruise nights!   LOL!!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 12:21pm
I may be wrong but I seem to remember the operator pushed in the clutch and then moved the shift lever to the S cast into the trans cover.  Doing that would engage the starter.  So I think the 5 is actually an S.
Also I think the original color was a very dark green on the main tractor with gray sheet metal, anyone know for sure?  Seems like most of them got repainted Massey Red for some reason.
Oh, and the TO meant it was built in North America, a TE was built in England.

Edited by JohnCO - 03 May 2019 at 12:26pm
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 1:25pm
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 8:36pm
When I got my great uncles MF it was red and silver and it had always been that color that I could remember. When i decided to refurb her and starting sanding the sheet metal I went through three colors of red paint and then hit the baby puke color or yellow. Scratched my head and decided they used yellow primer and kept sanding, then I hit the red primer just before bare metal. Now I was confused and went to the Internet and typed in MF40 as it had the 40 emblem on the front and that lead me to the Ferguson F40 which is a sort of pale yellow. I can only assume it was painted at the dealer in order to move the old stock on the lot when Ferguson joined Massey. I liked the red and silver better so I kept it that color plus that is how I always remembered it.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 9:28pm
oh sure...you can go pick that tractor up but can't come gits mine? PfffffT! wow...soooooo...I guess the Chevy Allis is for sale again, since he went out and bought a different tractor! and...and...did ya'll see how far down that ferd is sagging hooked on to that little trailer?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 2:48am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

oh sure...you can go pick that tractor up but can't come gits mine? PfffffT! wow...soooooo...I guess the Chevy Allis is for sale again, since he went out and bought a different tractor! and...and...did ya'll see how far down that ferd is sagging hooked on to that little trailer?

OH CHIT,!!!!!!!,,,,,,I been fearin just such a response from my best Buddy,,,,,,,,Wink 
HMmmmmm,,,,but,,,,but,,,, Shameless,,,you ain't gots big ti,,,,er,,,, UMMmmm,,,and,,,,and,,,when I talk to you,,,your voice don't have thet soft soundin rollin of the R's,,,Ya know like the soothin soundin melody of a cool mountain spring,,,,,,,Yikes,,,!!! I better stop right there,,,,,else you be wantin to come down here and try to deal her outa something,,,,,Wink
  UMMmmmm,,,GOOD BUDDY,,,,here's what I'ma gonna do for you just to stay in your good graces,,,,,is that still possible,,,?? Shameless,,,If you'lda got close to "Ms Grandpa's Tractor" (she made me promise to not give out her real name),,,,you'lda been wantin to GIVE her the ChEVY ALLIS,,,,and,,,,and,,,,,prolly even offered to deliver it to her,,snow or no snow,,,,Wink
 Ya gotta cut an old man a little slack every now and then,,,,,Ya know??,Wink
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 3:05am
 Hey Steve,,,"you got it, Man" !!,,,thas what I was thinkin and I know where a Chevy van is parked that gots a good V6 waitin for me,,,,Yeeehawww,,,,,

Hey John,,,you know thet "5" on the tranny just might be a sleepy "s". It does have an electric starter, but don't see how it hooked up to the tranny,,?? 

Hey Stan,,,,The tin is in great shape except for a couple of places on the grill but no biggie for my brick and claw hammer. 
 Since I hurt ole Shameless's feelings I gotta try to make up to him and get back in his good graces,,,,,Wink,,,,SO,,,I'm gonna paint it in the red and silver scheme in ole JC's top pic,,,I like thet color scheme pretty good,and,,,,and,,it won't look like ,,,,a ford,,,,,

and...and...did ya'll see how far down that ferd is sagging hooked on to that little trailer?

(He's upset at me,,,,,No,,he's mad,,,,),
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 3:21am
 Well,,,I was out front workin on my weed eater today,,when I look up and who but "Ms Granpa's Tractor"  drives up and bounces out and,,,,and breathlessly tells me,," I was in the neighborhood and thought I would bring you some parts for "your" tractor,,,,Holie Smokes,,,,,,, Her Bf brings out 3 boxes with the cylinder head, rocker arm assy, Valve cover and oil pan plus a coffee can of nuts and bolts dang near the whole engine 'cept for the intake/exhaust manifold,,,What luck,,! This is gettin better and better and for what I paid for it, I felt kinda cheap, (Ya listenin, Shameless?) so ,,I whip out a $5,,,,,,, and think better of it,,,and give her a $50,,,,,there I feel better now,,,,WinkWink She promises she will hunt for the intake manifold and "give" it to me,,,,is this Minerva or what,,,,???Clap
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 5:31am
Musta been that peck on the cheek and maybe that twinkle in your eye, you ol Vinegroon. Wink  Fifty smackers, you might not be able to get rid of her now (Think Fatal Attraction). Stern Smile

Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Edited by chaskaduo - 04 May 2019 at 5:37am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 11:37am
I didn’t go pick up another Jeep. Just sayin.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

I didn’t go pick up another Jeep. Just sayin.

Well,,Thad,,I just KNEW ole Shameless was gonna wanna make me pay for that little slip on "The Deal Of The Month",,,,and,,,,and,,,maybe even the deal of the ,,,,,,YEAR,,,yes,,!!
 Ya see,,,,the only'ist thing I gots missin now is the intake and maybe the radiator, but Ms Granpa's Tractor has assurred me she will bring  em to me soon. 
 I been moving stuff around to where I can roll it off the trailer and under my favorite shade tree to begin the project,,,,,,LOL 
  Do you happen to know what the metallurgy is on the block? I'm gonna have to weld up the air condition port on the right side of the block. From what I can see, it is just in the crankcase and not in the cooing water.Clap
  I don't know,,,,I might of shot myself in the foot by steal,,,er,,,by buyin this Massey before goin and gettin ole Shameless's tractor,,,so don't YOU go doin the same thing and forfitting your Jeep,,,,,,,WinkLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic