This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adjusting transmission cables on 7050

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grampak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adjusting transmission cables on 7050
    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 10:56pm
This tractor is NOT a powershift. I has to do with the range transmission. My son replaced the small cable from the range transmission lever to the top of the range transmission. It doesnt appear to do much of anything when you go from hi or low to the brake position. I bought a service manual on line and also a operators manual, but the say nothing about adjustments for this cable. It seems like hi and low and the park brake work, but there is so little movement on the shift lever on the transmission. Im not sure how well the park brake is holding. Also the cam thing that contacts the shift lever seems to get stuck in one position. I almost think there should be some kind of spring that push it back. Im kind of lost on this whole thing. The big cable seems to work fine. That has a lot of stroke. Had to weld up the shift lever since it was grooved in where the cam part hits it. Any help would be great.   
Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 6:49am
First, it's not a park brake, it's a park lock. The small cable only pulls the shifter over far enough to go into park position.       MACK
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 7:15am
When installing the new small cable, one cannot get rough with it. Any bends or kinks makes it not work so good when you get done. Several things have been done to that area to improve it's operation over the years. There should be a spring inside the console to make the cable move one way and the lever the other way. Can't ever oil things enough on that shifter lever. The console side must be in place to stiffen up the console for best operation.
grampak View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grampak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 7:23am
Lastest on tractor. Had to take tractor out of shop before i could figure things out. It acted like the right brake was engauged. I had to use the left brake pedal to steer it out of the shop. Once out of the shop it was ok. Then when I stoped I couldnt get the high/low range lever to move. Also the main transmission I couldnt get into netural. Finally I shut the tractor of and I was able to get out of gear. I havent had a chance to look at it again, but I know I have problems. Would really like to talk to someone or get info on how this thing is adjusted or how it works.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 7:37am
Need to let up just a little on clutch pedal. All the way down applies transmission brake. With clutch all the way down and brakes on, every thing is locked up. Release brakes and let up a little on clutch frees things up.     MACK
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 8:59am
Let me get this straight. Push in the clutch. Stop tractor with wheel brakes. Stop transmission by pushing the clutch the rest of the way. Then back off clutch to disengage transmission brake and shift ranges.

Edited by exSW - 14 Apr 2019 at 9:00am
grampak View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grampak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 9:38pm
First off I want to THANK everyone for the reply's. Im not very good at explaining things. I really wish there was a AC mechanic around here. Buttler machine is the ac dealer, but im not sure if they even know the color of the 7050! So about a hour ago I went back to the tractor and started it. I do have the floor board off. The main transmission shifts fine until I put the range transmission in low. I drive the tractor ahead or back and push in the clutch and stop. At that point I can Not get the main transmission out of gear. I have to use a pry bar to get the range transmission out of gear. It will not come out with just the lever. I know I have some issues with the small cable linkage that puts it in part, but my problem now is this. I am trying to figure out how come the Low wont come to neutral without help. Acts like there is a low of pressure. Does not matter at that point what I do with the clutch pedal. If I shut the tractor off, then I can find neutral with the main transmission. So for now this is the first problem to solve.  
grampak View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grampak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 9:40pm
Also might say that with the main transmission in neutral the hi/low /park seem to work ok
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 9:48pm
Sounds like range cable needs replaced. If floor is out, remove bolt on top of shifter, slide a short pipe over shifter, now how does it shift?        MACK
grampak View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grampak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 11:03pm
The small cable is new and the large one seems to work fine. Once I get the main transmission out of gear, the range shifting seems to work. I know I need to figure out the small cable adjustment, but my other problem is concerning.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 6:34am
What part of ND are you from. ..? Darrel
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 6:55am
Sounds to me like the Power Director clutch is dragging. You need to take it for a drive about 10 miles down the road in road gear and then see how it shifts when the oil is HOT. This simple and easy test will cost you nothing and may teach you a lot about what is going on.
grampak View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grampak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:40am
Im in the SW part of ND. South of Dickinson. I will take the old girl for a drive. I really dont know much about the old girl, but Im going to get it working ( I hope). Right now we are getting ready to put the crop in, so its going to be a hit and miss working on it. Thanks again everybody for the replys.
grampak View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grampak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:42am
Hi Darrel. I see you are in Hebron. Do you now of anybody around you that is a good AC 7050 mechanic? Im SW of Regent.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 11:27am
Originally posted by exSW exSW wrote:

Let me get this straight. Push in the clutch. Stop tractor with wheel brakes. Stop transmission by pushing the clutch the rest of the way. Then back off clutch to disengage transmission brake and shift ranges.
Yeah, pretty much.  And hope to hell you aren't hung up on a slope with a load behind you.Big smile
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Originally posted by exSW exSW wrote:

Yeah, pretty much.  And hope to hell you aren't hung up on a slope with a load behind you.Big smile

As I furiously jack with the shifter....

Edited by exSW - 15 Apr 2019 at 2:57pm
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 9:48pm
This may not apply to power directors but with all 3 of our power shifts most of the time you have to put them in reverse and just slip the clutch and they will slide out of low range. High side doesn’t seem to be as big a problem. good luck

Also I need to add that we bought an 8010 that was really hard to shift from high to low. Replaced the big cable and shifts real easy now

Edited by wekracer - 15 Apr 2019 at 9:51pm
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by grampak grampak wrote:

Hi Darrel. I see you are in Hebron. Do you now of anybody around you that is a good AC 7050 mechanic? Im SW of Regent.

grampak, not sure if you are familiar with the private message feature on the forum here, but I sent you one. Darrel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic