This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CHAINSAWS!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CHAINSAWS!!
    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 8:35pm
Just wonderin what you fellers used for firewood and other chores.
I just got a "new" Homelite XL2 auto from dad. Ran, but turns out its gonna need some work. Looking on the interweb for good used or NOS parts. Glad to see they can be had.
Really like that little saw. Its a top handle model with two triggers. One right by the front handle for one handed operation, and another towards the rear for safer two handed work. Nice and light.
Also just bought a super clean Mcculloch Pro Mac 700 from the local shop. Doesn't look like its got many hours on it. I believe it may still have the original chain on it. Still has the Mac bar. Came with an 18" bar. Gonna go with a 28" and skip tooth chain for the larger stuff. It goes well with the Pro Mac 1010 Super that dad gave me a few years ago. Stout saw. Super loud! I love the old Macs. Plenty of power.

Got a CS4400 Echo for a mid size saw, 3400 poulan in Sears black and grey, Stihl 009L for small jobs(probably fixing to get replaced by the Homie), and part owner of a Stihl 661 mtronic. Son keeps that one. Its about too heavy for me to play with anymore.
I didn't do it! It was a short, fat, tall, skinny guy that looked like me!
Sponsored Links

JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 8:53pm
I've got a 029 for regular stuff, and a 440 Magnum with a hop-up piston,cylinder& muffler kit on it for the real big stuff. Lost the compression release when we did the kit, my shoulder isn't as happy cranking it as it used to be! I have my late Dad's old 1010, loudest saw I ever ran, but a cutting fool after you finally got it cranked. My Dad always joked it took three to cut wood with it, one to carry it into the woods, one to get it started, last one to cut with it.
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 9:03pm
That 440 should be a hoss, especially if you ported it when you did the big bore kit and the muffler mod. One thing about that Mac, it came from the factory with the muffler "modded" already.LOL
Ive heard other folks say the Macs were hard to get going, but both of mine pop right off after 4-6 pulls. Idid have to richen the low side on the 700 when I got it home. Pulled that thing til I got light-headed before I got the carb screwdriver out.Confused
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 9:16pm
Dream, one of the Stihl factory techs that did hot saws installed, tinkered and tuned it at our dealership when they were doing a school, he played with it all week, I saw it tach out at a bit over 14,500 rpm a couple of times. With the dual outlet muffler it's deafening. Needless to say, but a tank of fuel doesn't last long. It's more toy than useful, but it will walk that 32 inch bar through a good hard oak and bury you in chips in a heartbeat!
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
TDF View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 9:20pm
Running a Husqvarna 345 with 18inch bar out here. Had it for a quite a while now. Maybe 6 or 8 years and a lot of wood under its belt now. On my second bar and still starts on the third or so pull consistently. Replaced an old craftsman with it. The craftsman was one heck of a cutter but heavier and had started having running issues. Plus it was a manual oiler type and I would get tired a running that little pumper. Might try a Stihl when the Husky wears out just to see if all the hype is true.

TDF
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 9:25pm
A Sthil 028 or my old 031 does all the firewood cutting I can stand and still have my hearing.   My dad lost his hearing to a Remington
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 9:43pm
I picked up a pro mac 1010 for free and have to agree it's the only saw I really have to wear hearing protection for,.. it rattles my head.
 Problem I've been having with it is the rods are disconnecting from the pistons, when the needle bearing rollers migrate out of the pistons.
 Second time it's happened. Might try some sleave retainer this time.

Also have a John Deere EV 55,.. it's an Echo in disguise.

Most of the small stuff is done with a poulan super 25 DA or one of it's craftsmen clones.

I did dumpster dive one of those homelites with 2 places to grip, for topping limbs. But the coil is bad,.. and they put bar oil in the fuel tank.

I took a small chainsaw blade, cut it in half and welded thick washers to each end. Tie ropes to both ends.
 With my homemade leather throw bags and some zingit, I can put a rope anywhere 50- 60 feet up in a tree.
 Throw some support ropes up to a higher limb.
 Throw the 2-man chainsaw up into the tree and grab a neighbor.
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 9:47pm
I got a pair of 65 husqvarna saws...20" bars...they are heavy and old but when you lay them on a log all ya got a do is pull the trigger....best part...lol...they are orange

The second one came from my buddy...it didn't run and the saw shop wouldn't work on it because of age and parts availability ...he gave it to me...I brought it home...put a new fuel line and filter on it and a carb kit...used it today and it runs like a new 30 year old saw

Getting some wood in cuzz looks like ol shameless has his sheen pointed toward Missouri and they saying we gona get some.....pretty

OK...bring it....170 is ready and ol huskys did some work today

I use ear muffs when I am sawing...trying to save my hearing...a little late....tenitis ...not to bad but the muffs do help

Ocharry

Edited by ocharry - 10 Jan 2019 at 9:51pm
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 10:31pm
Stihl 461 and 026 which is 28 years old! Just bought a Husqvarna 240 to help the old 026. I like the 240 nice light saw for trimming and small cutting. For the big trees the 461 does the job for me.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 11:07pm
Just dropped the big, mostly-dead maple along side my driveway this morning.  Used my Shindaiwa 575 with 24" bar for the drop, Stihl MS-180 with 14" 0.050 bar to lop the limbs smaller than 14"... exhaust has been opened, timing advanced a few degrees, with a sharp blade, it really goes.  I've got an Echo CS310 with 14" skinny bar, nice for trimming off the crap, but no modifications- it's rather restrictive in exhaust, but nice and quiet.

On the way:  Stihl 038AV with 28" bar, and a Stihl 026 that'll need a little cleaning up, the 38 may get a Magnum P&C and some slight machine work...

Someday, an Echo CS-2511, a Stihl 056 with 30" bar, and a Stihl MS-880 or 88 Magnum with a 48" bar...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 5:04am
I bought a Echo over 20 years ago, its cut many cords of wood. I had some 24-36" red elm logs stored off the ground for at least 7 years. I thought the saw got to running real crappy when cutting this stuff. Wasn't running crappy, turns out I took the clutch out. They took the spark plug out looked at it regapped it and put it back in. That was the first time the plug had been out in all those years. Many chains later its still going strong.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 5:47am
Couple of antiques here.  Bought a Poulan counter vibe 3400 new, must have been back in the 80's.  I will not be able to wear it out.  Have heated with wood up until this year.  Going to retire it and me from that pleasure at my 76 year mark.  One thing you could always bet on is that on first start up it would take exactly 12 pulls.  Confused

Stihl o1 something with 14 inch blade for light work.

Just thinking that that Poulan would make a good boat anchor as heavy as it is.  LOL

nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 6:18am
Have an Echo 650EVL, the same as JD 65EV, bought new 35yrs ago and sawed a lot of fire wood, timbered off 5 acre of woods, fence line trimming, backed over it with my D17(that caused a few yellow parts on it) and loaned it out a few times, still runs pretty much like new.  Before that my father had a Remington that worked very well for many years until it burnt in a fire. Remington also made the JD chain saws before Echo did.
 An old-timer friend told me one time that there are two things you don't loan out, your chainsaw or your wife! 

Edited by nella(Pa) - 11 Jan 2019 at 6:21am
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 6:20am
Back in the day there was a Homelite dealer 2 miles from me. I was there one day getting a chain ground after I had hit wire in a tree cleaning a fencerow. An elderly man brought a saw in the dealer had sharpened the chain on declaring "This saw won't cut butter"! The dealer picked up the saw looked at the bar and said" Any chainsaw will cut wood unless you put the chain on the wrong way"! We all had a good laugh!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 7:26am
Had a Deere (Echo) 80 EV.  Was a beast.  Worked great.  Muffler rotted out which gets a little warm on the hand not to mention loud.  Looked around here a LOT for parts and couldn't get anything worth working on.  Bought a Stihl MS 290 with a 16 inch bar for doing my firewood (15-20 pulp cord per year).  Not too bad, but was the most cold blooded dang thing.  That has since been modified to cut baleage bales, and bought the updated MS 291 with an 18 inch bar.  Small enough to do most anything, big enough to do most anything if you have a little patience.  For whatever reason, this one starts a little more readily, but actually pulls a little harder.

There's an old dead McCullough around the farm somewhere, and an even older even deader Poulan that must weigh 20 pounds.  I don't really even count those!

Edited by Tbone95 - 11 Jan 2019 at 7:28am
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 7:55am
Got two Stihl 028’s, a Poulan Super 250A and a Poulan 305 that was my Dad’s. They will take care of anything I need to do around the house or farm, mostly keeping me supplied with firewood.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 9:31am
I have a 20" Echo CS-590, a Husky 350 that I really did like till I burned it up. An old Craftsman that is my beater saw and finally a Lombard Super Lightning.  The Lombard is a tough ole saw, even with synthetic oil smokes like #ell, runs good, sounds like a big block chainsaw but would not care to run it for 8hrs. It can be a killer.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 9:40am
I've got two Homelite XL-1  here...mid '70s. Needed to find a parts unit cause the 'contractor' borrowed mine and demoed it...

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 9:40am
I have waay too many but have the correct saw for every job, LOL.
Stihl 660, 461, 361, 260, 036, 250, 210. Husqvarna 576. Couple Shindaiwa which are largely unknown but great saws. We don't take extra chains to the woods, we take extra saws
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 11:50am
Husqvarna 372, 370 Echo that runs fantastic after some tweeking and twerking, {IE} get that cat out of the muffler and open the carb and an old Homie EZ that refuses to say enough. A few others are kept in my morgue but not worth mention in their current state.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 11:59am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

I've got two Homelite XL-1  here...mid '70s. Needed to find a parts unit cause the 'contractor' borrowed mine and demoed it...

At one time there was a site named House of Homelite, if it's still there them guys will turn up whatever you need I bet.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 12:45pm
Had a couple of Poulans before they got cheap. I think they were an XXV and a 3450 maybe? Next Poulans was so bad I gave it to the SIL. Got a Husqvarnia ( I'm sure that is misspelled) maybe a 350 model, good saw but the best has by far been the Stihl 009 and the MS370 that I use at the farm.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by nella(Pa) nella(Pa) wrote:

An old-timer friend told me one time that there are two things you don't loan out, your chainsaw or your wife! 

You got that right, dad told me the same thing 55 years ago. I always keep an old junker to loan out, preferably one that barely runs but the chain will be so dull it wouldn't make sander dust and the gas and oil tanks are kept empty. When they complain I say you got it the same condition it was in when returned by the last borrower
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 3:24pm
I heard that one of them has a USB port ! When the engine gets outta whack..you have to take it to the repair place, plug into a computer, pay $100 and it's fixed !
This from an arborist who said I should buy an Echo NOTStihl, as Stihl have gone downhill in the past few years.

Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 4:12pm
There's a vid on utube where Echo loaned a handful of saws to some of the bigger arborists outfits to be used in comp with comparable sized Stihls. Echo actually won but the guys didn't like the toggle on/off switch and the sliding choke control.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 4:31pm
45 different ones here. Main ones are echo cs-310 and cs-8000. have 650-evl's but starters are bad so can't use them. Husky 235 is great little saw. have a bunch of the newer poulans, they work good for me.
macs include the eager beaver 2.0's, and 3.7's
Homelites  xl-2, sxl, sxlao's, 33cc, 38cc ,46cc , etc, 3514, 3816, and the favorite of all time the 8800
There are more that I missed, oh ya the barker, stihl ms-250. its ok since I rebuilt it with china-chink parts!--- thanks ac fleet
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 5:34pm
In the 50s the local AC dealer sold Clinton chain saws. I've got the last one my dad had from the late 50s.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 6:03pm
Had a 7-10 McCulloch .Had 71 cc motor used it for years.Had usually mac cranking problems,Put elecotronic ign in it and made a world of difference.Must have went through 5 or 6 bars and lots of chains.Got a lightweight Steihl and now can not pull it to  crank. Welcome to old age.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 6:35pm
re:... Welcome to old age.

yeah...I can't pull gas saws either Cry
my goto chainsaw is ELECTRIC ! I use it to shorten everything less then 14" round to 10-12" long 'stubbies'. Those I can get onto the ELECTRIC splitter.
Arborist dropped off elm and mulberry today , I only burn for fun in firepit..I could heat 24/7/365 with the logs that get dropped off here.

Jay

DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 6:40pm
Forgot about the Shindaiwas. That 575 is a stout saw.
Used to sell those for a little while. great equipment. Supplier was not the easiest to deal with.
Anybody with "dead" Mccullochs can just send em on down here. I got a nice resting place for em.
I am currently on the House of Homelite forum, as well as arboristsite.com. Lots of folks with some good experience there.

Heard of Lombards, just never seen one. Seen a couple of Remingtons. Not real popular down here. Used to see several Pioneers, but most of those are gone now.

I don't really see many old saws, since im not working on em anymore. Don't have much time to go scrounge around yard sales and old dealers back rooms either. Everythings closed by the time I get off work.

Definitely want some ear muffs or plugs with older saws. That little Homie is loud as heck too! Mccullochs just sound so good! Rev quick and just moan with the bar buried in some good hardwood! Sometimes I forget the earplugs, but it don't take long to get reminded.

Mr Murphy, sounds like you got a nice little hotrod there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic