This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parsnips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parsnips
    Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 5:46pm
Any of you guys like parsnips?? Dug mine the other day after the ground froze for a few days, and before voles/mice found them.thanks; ac fleet

Sponsored Links

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 5:52pm
Love parsnips, then rutabagas, then turnips, then, then, then, all sautéed in butter.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 7:42pm
I do like them fried in a lot of real butter. Probably not healthy but what the heck. Sweet potato fries are dog gone good - fried too.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 06 Dec 2018 at 7:43pm
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 8:20pm
Parsnips and Turnips - my dad grew them - so last time i had them would be 70 years back 
 Rutabagas the wife fixed and to cut the taste for a milder flavor would mash a couple potatoes in with it when she mashed them . 
 Old painter i worked with said the only reason he raised them was to feed the hogs  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 9:42pm
i like all of the above mensioned
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 10:01pm
I like the comments about cooking them with butter.

My wife hates corn, any kind of corn. So shortly after we met and started dating I cooked up a batch of sweet corn on the cob. She wouldn't touch it. I slathered it with butter and some salt and pepper and begged her to try 2 bites. She did and loves corn on the cob now with butter, salt, and pepper. Still won't eat any other type of corn. Doesn't even like corn flakes.

She also didn't like asparagus, but guess what? A little extra butter and she can't wait for me to go the ditches and bring some home in the spring.

On a side note, her whole family must have owned stock in Country Crock margarine. Parents, siblings all had a tub of the nasty stuff out when over for a meal. I can't stand it, real butter in my house. Now after almost 20 years of being a member of her family and multiple meals at my house, the real butter comes out most of the time at all their houses when we have family get togethers. 

Edited by iowallis - 06 Dec 2018 at 10:06pm
D17Milo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17Milo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 10:02pm
Never liked them when I was a kid, grew them a few years ago and liked them. Didn't get any planted this year.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 10:23pm
What do parsnips taste like? I like turnips. Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 10:40pm
i also love them too, but the old lady....ooops….I mean the loving wife don't!
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 5:59am
Tracy, I just could not resist.  They taste like parsnips.  Wink

if you like turnips I think you would like parsnips also.  They taste somewhat like a cross between a turnip and a rudabega.

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:30am
Butter like Bacon, just about makes everything taste better.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:43am
I chopped up sum parsnips once ina lectric chopper, put in a batch of chili, the old lady...oooops….I mean the loving wife still tasted them!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:48am
Can't say as I've ever had parsnips or turnips.  Have had rutabaga as an ingredient in pasties, taste fine there, never had them "plain".
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:55am
Parsnips in chili, and you didn't explode?
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 2:42pm
Love them!  Cube them up, bout 1/2 inch, fry up in some butta or olive oil, sprinkle on some chopped up parsley.  When they start to brown, drop in a couple cubed up granny smiths.  Remove about the time the apple starts gettin soft, couple minutes.  Fry in same oil/pan a couple chicken breasts that you have flattened bout 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick.  Right before pullin chickie out of pan, drop parsnips/apple back in to warm up.  Split between 2 plates.  Chickin cooked this way will get tuff/rubbery if overcooked so no longer than necessary on da heat.  Love it!!  Quick and easy!

Before starting, I place chickie breasts between cellophane wrap and use iron skillet to flatten.  Fry in same iron skillet, adds flavor.... LOL

Edited by NDBirdman - 07 Dec 2018 at 2:45pm
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by NDBirdman NDBirdman wrote:

Love them!  Cube them up, bout 1/2 inch, fry up in some butta or olive oil, sprinkle on some chopped up parsley.  When they start to brown, drop in a couple cubed up granny smiths.  Remove about the time the apple starts gettin soft, couple minutes.  Fry in same oil/pan a couple chicken breasts that you have flattened bout 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick.  Right before pullin chickie out of pan, drop parsnips/apple back in to warm up.  Split between 2 plates.  Chickin cooked this way will get tuff/rubbery if overcooked so no longer than necessary on da heat.  Love it!!  Quick and easy!

Before starting, I place chickie breasts between cellophane wrap and use iron skillet to flatten.  Fry in same iron skillet, adds flavor.... LOL
MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  Sounds GOOD!!  I'm gonna have to try that!!

I like em all too, but not at the same time!!!  And like Chaskaduo says, fried IN the bacon grease and then slathered with butter after they are done.  MMmmm good!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:40pm
I fry up parsnips along with eggs in the morning for breakfast. I like them better than potatoes!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic