This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7020 Engine Noise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blustery Knoll Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7020 Engine Noise
    Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:19pm
Well, I have another 7020 problem. Pulling the field cultivator today, I noticed a bit of hot oil smell, then saw that the temperature gauge was running almost 210. Usually it's quite a bit lower than that under load. I stopped and idled to let it cool off a bit. After it cooled to where it normally would run, I started driving again and geared down to the next lower speed and it still wanted to heat up again. Then it developed a knocking sound. So, did I spin a rod bearing or something nasty like that?

It has been loosing coolant very slowly since I bought it. I kept finding little leaks from loose clamps and fittings, so I figured that was where it was going, but it's still happening, even though I think I finally fixed the last of those. There wasn't any coolant in the oil when I changed it last month though.

So, what's the next step to diagnose this without sending a rod through the block? Drop the pan and start pulling rod caps?
Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 6:47am
I would say antifreeze going past sleeves oring onto piston skirt scored a piston.    MACK
Blustery Knoll Farm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blustery Knoll Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 8:13am
Well, the motor is going to have to come out to change the torque limiter anyhow, so I guess I will just start taking things apart then.

Another detail. It was intermittently making a really nasty screeching sound, kind of like a dry alternator bearing, but I checked and it and the water pump spun fine.

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 8:47am
Sounds like a large project. Hope you have back up equipment during the down time!
I like your farm name! 
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Blustery Knoll Farm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blustery Knoll Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 10:47pm
Yeah, I do have backup equipment, and I am done with most of the spring tillage. So, I just have to use the smaller tractors and tillage equipment for the rest of the spring.
GM Guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 1:44am
The screech sounds like chunks of rings trying to exit.

Wasnt this the tractor that ran really hot (fueling issues) when you first got it? I would say it is damage from that finally showing its face.
Gleaner: the properly engineered and built combine.

If you need parts for your Gleaner, we are parting out A's through L2's, so we may be able to help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic