This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

# 1 cylinder position

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: # 1 cylinder position
    Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 6:08pm
I apologize for what I am sure is a dumb question, but what is the # 1 cylinder in a straight 6 gas engine ? I want to say it is the "hole" closest to the radiator? In the process of a tuneup and we want to throw a timing light on it while we have a "guy" helping. His expertise is I/H and is 99% sure I am correct but I just want to verify. We have an OP manual and an IT brand service manual,so i "assume" between the 2 we should have the timing specs? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links

CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 6:11pm
Correct! #1 is always at the front of the engine. 

Now that I think about it...the G Allis tends to trip people up sometimes since the engine is in backward. 
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 6:11pm
correct on # 1 at least for Amrican gassers
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 6:27pm
Not all are the one closest to the front. I know the deutz are numbered from flywheel and I think e g is too. Not positive on the g though
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 8:10pm
In trade school they said cyl  and rotation are no from front of vechiele and all other parts from driver seat .Most  engines are right handed are clock wise  rotation.Boy said that had ditigal watch , what is clockwise!
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 9:07pm
Most air cooled # from fly wheel.      MACK
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 9:51pm
Timing should be in the op manual. IT manual skips most common stuff and isn't worth the scrap paper its printed on. Look for a real shop manual it will be as much a 200 times as thick. http://www.grandpastractor.com 
is a good place to look.

Gerald J.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic