This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 2:32pm
Hmmm, will have to take a look and see. Not sure how "tight" it is supposed to be.

Oh noes at the storms. Wishing for all the best for you. That's no good. :(
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 9:42pm
Folks,
 Well the tent didn't fair so well. It sure did its job all spring and summer protecting me. When am I going to bite the bullet and build a workshop/storage area?:)
Nothing other than the tent was damaged. 
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 5:20pm
Whew, glad that's all that was damaged, but bummer on the tent. Total loss, or repairable?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 11:17pm
GG, Folks,
Just got back from Warren County PA Antique tractor pulls.
Me and the 45 weighed in at 3995 lb. and weighed out at 4020 lb. Had 25 lb of mud hanging on it!:)
I turned the main jet on the carb out 3/4 of a turn and just pulled it. Track was wet but loose non top. Was scraped but not packed during the pull. Had 18 inches of dirt piled in front of the sled when I finally lost traction on the right side of the track. Distance was 230 feet. Next Allis WD45 was 211 feet.
I have gone for years not having to bring home and or polish any plastic. Guess it was time?:)
The old 45 did well. Plenty of power through out the pull against many strong tractors in the class. I was happy Allis finished 1st and 2nd in the 4000 lb class!

This is a bad picture of Brads Allis D19. Sorry. My camera is not very good at action shots. I believe he placed but not sure of his position in his class. Great summer evening! I got to run the JD pull back tractor on the lightweight side of the track too.

All that work and details actually came together, along with spending some time watching others pull prior and reading the track a little better.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 15 Aug 2019 at 9:49pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 12:25pm
Congratulations, looks like all that hard does have its rewards. Well done
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 12:43pm
Congratulations!!!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 1:30pm
I'm sure it wasn't my crossed fingers. Big smile  Good Goin.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 2:25pm
Thanks guys,
This tractor was built with almost all components as stock so its good to have it preform as they probably did from the factory. I can see why a lot of folks liked them. good strong engines, good governor response. Seems to be balanced well as the front barely came off the ground if at all near the end of the pull. 
Also a good test of just taking one apart this far and getting it back together and functioning well.
You folks were right there with me, as in this Allis thread! Unfortunately I did not have my camera man with me last night.
Next test will be the Crawford County fair Aug 17th. Track is mostly sand and I know these tractors don't usually do well in that stuff. 

OFF topic family tractor (8 hp Massey with hydro) The great grandsons going to pick the last of the blackberries. This was their great great, great grandmothers tractor. This little tractor required complete disassembly of major components , clean and paint. Of course I had to get a second one for parts too.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 Aug 2019 at 2:30pm
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 2:36pm
Looking good , as always .
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 11:09am
Congratulations Chris!

Great tractor and great guy Big smile
Frank
1959 D17 Series I #24001+, '59 D14
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Ferguson TO 35 Deluxe, Oliver 70 and 5 more.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 9:44pm
Folks,
 When you think things are going good Allis will teach you a lesson or two! Just a quick update. Old tractors that are taken apart and put back together, with improvements, still have issues! They are like me, still old! 

I have a slight leak in the left final drive. not enough that I am going to take it apart soon. Small leak from front crank seal. I did the best I could with alignment and speady sleeve. Must have missed something?? 

So tonight I was getting the old girl ready for a pull on Saturday at our big local fair. Finished swapping in the long drawbar and took the tractor for a joy ride about 1/2 mile and back. When I slowed and turned into the drive I disengaged the hand clutch and the foot clutch and eased the gear shift out of 4th while still rolling. Well it threw a hissy fit! Just couldn't find a gear shifter lever went wobbly and limp, but was stuck in 4th. Finally got it stuck back in 1st and got into the garage. 

Took a break to think through the fix.

Pulled the shift lever and proceeded to add some weld to the end of the stem. .60 inches is a little too big for the front to back dimension. Ended at .540 inches.  I built up the width to about .42 inches was about .31 inches. It looked like it wanted the slip between the shift gizmos. So I figured I would make it wider! Also carved out another washer/ spacer below the snap ring that holds the lever, and inserted a rubber seal that I found on the bench. Several runs at it and the shift lever action seems happy, and crisp again. I was worried I might drop the little side keys down in the tranny! Someone was watching over my shoulder as they stayed in place through the whole repair.

Too late to take a test run, as all the neighbors are in bed!  Moral of the story is I think you can repair almost everything on one of these WD45's and they will still test you!

Thanks for checking in on me!

FYI This next pull is on a horse track and is usually soft. I increased the length of my hitch a lot, but also added 500 lbs right in front of the rear wheels. Hoping that might help get a little more weight transfer. Will be in the 4500 lb class.

Spent most of the day making maple syrup products for competition at the fair too. Three categories of Syrup, Crumb Sugar, Maple Cream, Maple Candy, and Maple walnut fudge! Plus a basket with 4 maple items. 

We are overwhelmed with yellow squash, zuchnii, pickles, and green beans! Garden is really doing good this year. Sweet corn will be late but its coming along and just starting to tassel out. Tomatoes seem to be lagging. 

Regards,
 Chris
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 7:45am
Life with a WD45 is never dull! Good luck at the pull, Chris.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 8:12am
I got one of my WDs to stick in reverse once. Had a buddy weld up the key and we reamed the hole in the side of the tower (I had a 1 pin WD, not the 2-pin style). I just have to be extra careful with it, especially in reverse. Glad you got it fixed!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 8:22am
Chris, sounds like she might like having you adjusting her knobs and tweeking her bolts. I may have missed it but have you named her yet. If not maybe you better before she starts thinkin you don't love her enough and throws a big hissy fit, instead of purring with a little fondling. Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 8:27am
Shifter is on my list of things to work on on my 'Wide Front' 45. It's a little sloppy and sometimes hard to find the gear you want.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 8:04pm
Guys,
 I dont think I have ever seen a thread on rebuilding one of these shift towers. But they sure do get worn in the lever end and in the shifting slots! I tested the 45 a little tonight and it still had a little issue then went back into reverse, and I was able to use it for a ride down the road and back. 
If it was to be named as in a pulling tractor type name, it would be "Sticky Situation".
As a working tractor hummmm. Have to think on that one a little?
Thanks for checking on me. Will try to get some pulling pictures tomorrow too.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 9:22pm
Folks, 
Couple pictures at the tractor pull today. Track is very sandy/ loose material. I had extended the hitch and the WD45 front end still stayed down in good order. I choose to pull in low gear. Pulled 207 feet and was out done by 7 other tractors. About normal at this pull as there was no speed limit, no tire size restrictions, no RPM restrictions. So there were some tractors that to me didnt sound and or act like Antique Tractors. Two in my class at 4500 LB looked to be stock. I weighed 4530 lb. so that checked out OK. 
Here is my WD45 There were about 14 or 16 folks in my class:

Here is one of the 4500 lb competitors with a similar Allis tractor

And as he pulled it out the gate somewhere at 300 + feet? Looked like he was in 3rd gear, and still spinning the tires. (Just wound a little tighter than my old WD45!) I noted several somewhat unusual "stock" items. He had plenty of power in the engine that's for sure. 

Had a good time and did not break anything! My tractor did everything I expected. So I was pleased!
Regards,
 Chris
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 1:55am
Was that tractor running 16.9's?

They also look cut.
Frank
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 7:02am
Originally posted by frnkeore frnkeore wrote:

Was that tractor running 16.9's?

They also look cut.

Frank,
 You are very observant. Seems the owner missed those details and a few others for the antique pulls. But with no rules and no one checking tractors, anything goes. He ended up in second place after 6 tractors had a pull off for going over 250 feet. I seen this tractor /driver go way out of normal safety issues in my book, on a power track. Would be interesting to know the power producing features?Smile

In hind site I learned a lot. With my weights as I have them now and a soft track I can use that longer hitch and still have a decent pull with a stock short tired Allis tractor. There are still a lot of stock tractors out there that are really tough competition too. 

I left my tractor at the fair grounds on display for the week, will pick it up next weekend.

Regards,
 Chris
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 12:06pm
He would probably be legal on my end of the country if, he stayed under 3 mph.

USAP Classes
1959 & Older
All classes must have stock sheet metal, hoods, & wheelbase
Farm Stock (or 3 mph class)
1. Farm Stock will run any gear. (3MPH max).
2. Tires sizes 15.5 x 38 max, or 14.9 x 30, 16.9 x 28 (16" rim max).
18.4 x 38 7000#-8500# (16" rim max).
Front tires must be at least 14" and AG tires (3 Rib or Multi-Rib allowed).
3. Top cut tires allowed. - No front edge cut allowed.
4. Stock sheet metal and hoods. Stock wheel base.
5. 1959 and older.

Edited by frnkeore - 18 Aug 2019 at 12:06pm
Frank
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 12:38pm
I had a pair of 16.9x38" 45* Good years on my 560. From running on the road they couldn't have been cut more perfect. I shoulda sold them.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 5:29pm
Frank,
Are you doing good at your local pulls? 
Yea that set of rules would fit that tractor better.  IMO! Also run at any rpm you want with no governor would need to be included in the rules too!Wink I dont want to go there. We have a lot of stock antique pulls in the area for antique tractors. Most of the pulls have enough staff to help check tractors as they come across the scales.

exSW,
 Someone would have snagged those tires!

Regards,
 Chris
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 7:36pm
Well Chris I see what your buddy has done after we talked. lmao
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Frank,
Are you doing good at your local pulls? 
Yea that set of rules would fit that tractor better.  IMO! Also run at any rpm you want with no governor would need to be included in the rules too!Wink I dont want to go there. We have a lot of stock antique pulls in the area for antique tractors. Most of the pulls have enough staff to help check tractors as they come across the scales.

exSW,
 Someone would have snagged those tires!

Regards,
 Chris
I still know where they are😊
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 11:24am
Chris,
I only have two pulls, within driving distance, for the year and I could only make it to the first one Cry

I got 2nd with my 850 Ford and 3rd with the D17. The 850 is 150 lb light (5000 class) and the D17, is 200 light (6000 class). The biggest problem, with the D17, is the tires. A wore out R4, on the left and a nearly new Goodyear, 45* on the right, both 16.9's. That will be corrected next year and I'll run both pulls.

My tractors are, truly stock, at least for now Wink

Edited by frnkeore - 19 Aug 2019 at 11:26am
Frank
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 9:38pm
Frank,
 Congratulations! Some folks only think about it! Your doing it!
(I like the Fords too!)
Regards,
Chris
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 12:49am
Thank you, Chris. It was my first pull and I have a lot to learn and even more to apply to the tractors. I've asked a few questions on this forum and learn from them and I had help offered w/o asking, too. I thank all that have helped!

Pottsville is only 30 miles from me but, the next Closest is 180 mi. so, I can only take one to that.

Tractor pulls are fairly rare in my, general area but, truck pulls are fairly common?

I went to the Grants Pass fair, over the weekend and they had a truck pull. A LOT of trucks but, no tractors with the exception of a, exhibition, supercharged, three BBC engined tractor. 350 ft+ at 38 mph and 2 wheelies!
Frank
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 6:45am
Frank, Folks,
 Yes I can see how the pulling thing could get addictive! Just a little farther a little faster!!
I saw a WD advertised in Ohio that would be real nice to make into a pulling tractor! Cheryl says that's enough! She is probably correct? I do have a tractor problem!
Regards,
 Chris
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 8:50am
     Is there a "Tractors Anonymous" group? Many of our wives would probably sign us up.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 10:04am
I agree!Smile I feel they are like new toys when I was a kid! I have really never grown up just older!
Regards,
 Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 45>
  Share Topic