This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hockeyman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hockeyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 12:36pm
I hope one day I can restore my grandfather's tractor as beautifully as you have done yours. Thank you especially for documenting it and sharing all your experiences along the way! 
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 5:22pm
Thanks Dave and Hockyman! I appreciate the comments!
I will try to get some tractor pictures at the show too. 
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 6:51pm
WOW, it's hard to believe it's been almost two years already since you brought this ole girl home!!Chris, this thread has been a heap of fun to watch and follow, what a journey!! The transformation from this                                                                                                                                                                                                    to this, is nothing short of amazing.WHAT A FINE JOB SIR!!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up KUDOS from S.E. Indiana!!     

Edited by ac45dave - 15 Jul 2019 at 6:59pm
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 8:19am
Chris, did you get a chance to talk with Bill about the brake adjustment technique?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 9:28pm
Dave thanks!
Tim, I took your info and just adjusted them. I didn't talk to Bill. Pushed the pedal ahead 2 inches and then adjusted the nut on the brakes. Then adjusted the back bolt in closer to the shoes. Brakes work very good!

Gary and Rick stopped over tonight and brought RPM gage and timing light. Adjusted the distributor just a smidge and was good on timing.

RPM's were 650 rpm low idle and 1670 rpm high idle.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 17 Jul 2019 at 9:40pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 7:25am
650 RPM low idle? Mine is wrong then, manuals say 400-500, I set mine at 475. But, it sure idles nice lol!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 3:10am
Tim, Folks,
 I am not skilled in setting the idle yet. I maybe able to go slower but for now thats where I have the throttle stop screw set. I had not looked at the specs.

The oil pressure gage from Stieners arrived this afternoon. installed and here is what I have, if the gage is correct:

Still have to break this tractor in. Would like to do some plowing with it soon.
Off to the tractor show for a few days!

Regards,
 Chris
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 6:40am
That is some great pressure Chris!  You've done some amazing things with this beauty and you should be smiling whenever one of us drool down our chins looking at it.  GREAT work as usual.  Thanks for sharing all this and especially the pics.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 10:06am
Judging by this pic and the one before the engine came out, it may have all been a faulty gauge. My NF 45 that I overhauled (including new cam bearings) has a similar gauge and runs about 12 psi.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 8:47pm
Ted, Mike, Folks,
When cold start up it shows about 20 psi on this gage, after its hot it was as low as 7 psi.
So I have drug a lot of my stuff to the local tractor show. I played visited and ate most of the day.

One of my small contribution to the grounds was to fab some brackets and with help installed these two 10 x 20 canopies over portions of the grandstand,

Hook up was a SNAP!Smile

Getting tractor and plows ready.

Loaded

This was the other "45" I finished last night for the great grandsons.

So I was given permission to plow in a area of the grounds where they have earth moving equipment. It was very! very rocky and had large stones. This gets tore up a little each year with construction equipment.

I plowed for about 40 minutes. came out on to the headland and stopped to visit with a guy. The tractor just shut off. Before I did anything I went and got 5 gallons of gas for it.
Yep that was the issue! Thought I had enough when I started.

I stopped and took a few pictures for the forum!

I had one time when the right lift arm snap coupler came unhooked and had a guy help me get it hooked back up. The tractor worked well! I plowed only in low gear, but varied the depth and the RPM's. Plowed for a hour and a half. Tractor temp never got above 180F.
I had a issue when the plows were up (lever up)  that the tractor acted like the brakes were grabbing and it was difficult to shift too. I remembered a post and comment from Dr. Allis about the hydraulics could affect the drivability. So I tried it with the plows raised but the handle for the lift to be in the middle upper portion of the quadrant. This seemed to reduce the problems to almost nothing! Thanks Doc for the hint. I have to check what mode I have the pump in.

I had this plowing event announced and several folks came up on the hill and watched. One guy in a John Deere hat came up and said he thought it was just going to be a show about plowing, not actual plowing. He didn't think that little Allis tractor could pull 3 - 14's. He was surprised and impressed!

I had another guy ask me on the way up to do the demo,  if I had ever plowed with that tractor. He said unless I had massive weights on the front it would be a joke! He came up when I was about half done and I pointed him out to the other guys and he had to eat his words, as I had minimal wheel slippage and no front end pick up. 

I believe the engine is now broke in! One small leak on top of the hydraulic pump. A good day but hot!
Lots of positive comments about the tractor.

I was very pleased how the new Crop Max tires preformed. I did not get the tractor weighed yet. My guess is about 3650??? So They have a 3750 class that I may be able to pull in.

Slipped the plows off in about 30 seconds and impressed my friend Jim. He had never seen a three point so easy to unhook from. Installed the guide and the short draw bar for pulls tomorrow.

Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 24 Jul 2019 at 10:33pm
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 8:52pm
You and the WD45 sure had a nice day, Chris. Thanks for the pictures. Looked like she did a fine job with that 3-bottom plow!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 9:08pm
Dave thanks! Yep was good after a lot of work on that tractor.
 Here are some other pictures from my friend Jim!
In this video the sound is a Big old CAT crawler moving top soil behind the camera! Thats not the Allis!

Parade behind a Rumley!

Tractor looks more like PO#2 paint in these pics

A friend and his daughter on my D17 running the sawmill. No complaints from the sawyer!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 19 Jul 2019 at 9:11pm
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 1:55am
Great write up and pictures, Chris!

It looks good, pulling that plow.

Are you saying that even after you put the spacer behind the new spring, it only has 20/7 oil pressure?
Frank
1959 D17 Series I #24001+, '59 D14
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Ferguson TO 35 Deluxe, Oliver 70 and 5 more.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 8:01am
Originally posted by frnkeore frnkeore wrote:

Great write up and pictures, Chris!

It looks good, pulling that plow.

Are you saying that even after you put the spacer behind the new spring, it only has 20/7 oil pressure?

Frank,
Yes on the oil pressure. I think the book says typically they only had 15 PSI or less. So at this point I am satisfied with the oil pressure. 

I took the WD45 in the tractor games last night. It was fun. Balance platform, grab the big hanging marshmallow with your mouth, put the chain in the box, balance a quart of water on your head and drive through a obstacle course, and water balloon toss.

Here is the short hitch for the tractor pulls if we have them, We got a lot of rain last night!

Regards,
 Chris
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 8:30am
Looking good Chris! Would be nice if a guy could go out and plow a few acres whenever he got done overhauling one of these things.

Have a 3-16 plow I've been working on forever, just about ready. Good thing, local show is just two weeks away. Want to get it shined up then.
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 9:37am
Oh man sugarmaker I am jealous of that fine looking plow -- Looks like you've got yourself a fine workhorse!
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 9:57am
You, you, you, - YOU GOT IT DIRTY!
MDWilliams338 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 2:07pm
Team Orange!!! That’s a good looking set up Chris and you’re out there in the dirt doing what it does best surprising the the green crowd....that’s the best part😂
‘42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

It isn’t how you die.It’s what you live for.-Daniel Boone
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 9:11pm
Guys, 
Thanks! Yea I got the 45 dirty! It really didn't bother me much.Was happy to get some work to break it in! 
 I am about whipped.
 Sunday is the last show day and is the finals for the tractor pulls! I had a ball running around visiting and flapping my jaws! The grandson (Nic) and great grandsons Rhett and Cooper arrived about the same time as me this morning. Rhett pulled in the kiddie tractor pull and got a second place trophy. His mom and little brother.

We got back to the tent and the boys had the new 7045 out and testing it. Rhett was a perfect fit and had fun riding it around!

Cooper liked the Cub Cadet:

Nic pulling his great grandfathers WD. He has got second place so far in the 3500 lb class:

Friend Gary on his WD beat Nic by .10 inches!

Nic pulling my WD45, in the 3750 lb class, for its first pull. It did not do very well and seemed low on power, and some vibration. So I have some tuning to do. I had not even adjusted the carb yet. May need to check the timing again? With me on it the 45 it weighed 3700 lb. So I will need to remove the wheel weights from the wide front WD and that would put me at 3950 ish for the 4000 lb class next Thursday at Stoneboro PA pulls. 

Picture from the announcers tower, of the track and grandstands. The canopies were welcomed in this sweltering heat! Feature tractors were Oliver, Cockshutt CoOp.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 20 Jul 2019 at 9:39pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 9:45pm
Folks,
 I know this should probably be in the pulling portion of the forum. But since its the first pull for this old WD45 after a little shop time I thought you might like it. My friend Jim took it! I haven't figured out how to!
Grandson Nic on the WD45 for its first pull. He did get third in this 3750 class, and was 90 lbs light.

Some more show pictures tomorrow. Tuckered out from three days in the heat!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 24 Jul 2019 at 10:58pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 11:31pm
Wow Chris, I love the sound of that tractor. Reminds me of the WD I usually use on the mower that has M&W Pistons in it with how it responds. Beauty, and great pull!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 8:54am
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Great 1st pull Chris.  Show us again after you get all the bugs out.
She looks BEAUTIFUL....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 9:20am
GG,
Folks,
 Some additional shots during pulls and on the grounds of the show.

Nic hooked to the sled with the 45.

17, 45, WD:

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 6:52am
Folks,
Had some trouble with my pictures? Anyway we have a tractor pull Thursday night in Stoneboro PA. Yea this WD45 was not built as a pulling tractor. It has all the normal field work items except the belt pulley. But I like to go to these events and make some little improvements and see how the little Allis tractors do against the big Farmall's and John Deere's too. 
So I have removed the Allis wheel weights from the WD wide front:

And moving them to the WD45. At 125 lb each that should put me near 4000 lb with me in the seat. 

But this pull the classes start at 2500 and jump in 1000 lb increments so my class would be 4500. Not much sense going if I am 500 lb light. So I call my friend Jim he has some green weights he is not using. Out comes the cutting torch, grinder, and Mig. Some scrap steel laying in the vast warehouse and wallahaaaa! Would look better in orange too!

It should be capable of holding 3 of the 100 lb suitcase weights per side. Would like to have these at or behind the rear axle but not at this time. This pull allows hang on weights
One pull I go to allows only stock weights in correct factor locations. So with my wheel weights I will be good at 4000 lb class. (I will try to weigh the tractor without the green weights to see if I am near the 4K mark)

Thanks for checking in on me! 
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 24 Jul 2019 at 6:56am
hd1937 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd1937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 1:06pm
I knew you would have the hangers finished last night. They look great👍
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 6:23pm
Goodness Chris, youve got one mean tractor pullin machine there! You have the coolest paint job on that thing. I love it. Those wheel weights look sharp! And it sounds fantastic. Is it a stock WD-45 engine, or does it have some upgrade piston parts in it?

Not to hijack your thread for the 20th time now, but this thread convinced me to take the day off work today to try and go finish up on my front wheels. Well guess what... Went to put the new big bearing race in the hubs... And they just dropped in from the top all the way to the bottom. Got out the calipers... They must have spun in the hub for *years*. Not only was the hub wallered out larger, the race was worn down from like 0.300" thickness at the largest part to 0.275". And all the numbers were worn off the face. If I was a smart man, I'd have test fit these parts earlier before dragging myself out to where my tractors are stored. So I am assuming in advance the other hub has the exact same issues.

So at any rate, ordered two brand new 5 bolt hubs. Hoping they show up next week and I can get out there and get the deed done. Also got two of grandpa's old grease guns reloaded. One with Mystik JT-6 green multipurpose. One with Mystic JT-6 red, hi-temp. Curious -- What grease did you use for your front bearings?

EDIT:

Oh yes, I also remembered to fire both tractors up to check out oil pressure settings.

One on the left has the last Deutz Allis oil filter from a three pack grandpa gave me, and the one on the right has a car quest filter (not sure what the real brand is).

Edited by garden_guy - 24 Jul 2019 at 8:53pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 9:35pm
GG,
Your oil pressure looks VERY good on both tractors! You have a good protective coating started on them too!Smile My dad had one catch on fire once due to grease and oil and he probably had a jumper on a Champion spark plug that may have caused it?
I am sure the new hubs were not a cheap date but divide the cost by 40 years and its not much per year!:) I have several wallowed out hubs around here too. One I actually had to shim the OD of the outer race to get it working again.
Not sure what grease I used? I sometimes used the multipurpose red grease from NAPA.
As long as you have some lube in there you will be fine for a long long time.

This engine is box stock! I did not build a pulling tractor. This is just a attempt to look like a tractor that might pull!:)

So I worked on the WD45 today for the pull tomorrow night. Completed the fab and paint for the weight brackets. The all thread is to "bolt" the weights to the tractor to meet the rules.

You folks may not like the suitcase weights I am using!:) The story is that the Allis ate a Deere and this was the only thing it couldn't swallow! My friend Matt was over and he set most of the 100 lb weights for me. Nice to be young and strong!

The weight brackets seemed like they are going to be OK. Not much for looks, but hell for stout! Left bracket is a little close to the brake pedal. 

On a side note: I really like the way that WD fenders look on these better than the taller 45 fender brackets. I may find a set of WD fender brackets or have to whittle these down. They just look better/ more correct in my opinion!

Whittled out a new draw bar for this pull, as it can be a little shorter from the center of the axle to back of hitch hole, can not be less than 18 inches. Our show pull is 22 inches for that dimension. Also made some plates to get the draw bar height to 18 inches too.

Hope things are good in Orange land.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 24 Jul 2019 at 10:51pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by hd1937 hd1937 wrote:

I knew you would have the hangers finished last night. They look great👍

Jim,
Thanks! You and Chase had some real good ideas the other day for the brackets. I dont think these could have turned out and better if I would have tried.Smile I flipped them side to side and then added the welded 1/2-13 nut for the all-thread to go through your suitcase weights. Not orange but they should work! Thanks for the use of the weights! Made her squat a bit more with 750 lbs added! I think I may put on my taller front tires from the wide front WD too! Appreciate the suggestions! We will see how it does against the big Deree's and Farmall's tomorrow night.

Regards,
Chris
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 7:16am
Good luck tonight Chris and have fun!
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 3:39pm
Chris - hope you whip those funny colored tractors bad!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 45>
  Share Topic