This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 12:32pm
Chris - I've been away for a week. You've made great progress with the paint - it's gonna look gorgeous! Great looking tractor and a porterhouse steak - it doesn't get any better. Clap
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 1:36pm
Mike and Dave and Folks,
 Thanks!
Still much work to do on getting a finished tractor! But yes I have thought about the next project already too. Not sure what it will be, maybe a different tractor manufacture and smaller??Smile
One of the remaing things on this one is the rear tires! I may take the rims that I have and get the 13.6-28's removed, then look at making a width adjustment to the rims for some new tires!
There is always the Series I, narrow front, D17 waiting for some love too!
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 9:31pm
Allis folks,
Well the weather was cool rainy and windy today. Glad I got most of the painting done during the 3 short days of summer!Smile
Here is a picture of Maggie our golden, helping split fire wood. She likes to wear orange too:

Puttered with small parts on the chassis tonight. Got most of the masking off, so I can start to assemble some components. This is the time in the project where keeping track of the fasteners is key. (note to self: do a better job in the future on this!)  So far I like this paint! Minor touch up will be required as parts go together. Cleaned and painted the starter. It will be black, along with the head lights and the tail light.
Going to pick up a new alternator. the old one looks pretty crusty! Can't have that!:)

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 10 Jun 2019 at 9:33pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 6:34am
I've been off for a week. Looking great. There's soo many parts!
That paint does have a really nice shine to it. I can see how glossy some of those small parts are.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 6:56am
Dave,
 Welcome back. The paint is good, its the operator and equipment that has most of the issues. Several sheet metal parts need wet sanded and another top coat due to plugged air vent in the paint reservoir cap.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 11 Jun 2019 at 8:34pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 8:48pm
Orange group,
The Allis was fighting me this morning trying to get some things back together. The casting on the right final drive (the WD) side had the fender bracket bolts broke off at sometime. They had been redrilled not very well and not in position. I didnt realize they were so far out of alignment. Had to drill elongated holes to get the bolts through the fender plate and into the casting.

Installed some items including the brake rods. Set them at 16 5/16 inch from the face of the threaded plate to the back side of the hole in the rod. had a scrap of steel sheet that worked good as a gage.

Shift tower in place along with hydraulic pump and oil filter base. and seat base support.  

Interesting point, is that the cover on top back of bell housing has same bolt pattern as the PTO. That plate could be used as a PTO delete plate!

Thanks for checking on me! This thing seams really orange and bright, but that was the goal I guess!

Regards,
 Chris

Play Farmer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Play Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 9:58pm
Looking good Chris. 

I've been away from the forum myself lately. Besides being the off season I had a little open heart surgery this November. I now have a fabric aorta and I'm good as new. Thumbs Up

This Spring has been a bit of a challenge with the weather, and my 7000 sprung a hydraulic leak the other day we're not 100% sure where it's coming from. It's going back together tomorrow - hopefully fixed. 

Sorry to hijack, back to the good work and steady updates!  
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 12:16pm
Play farmer,
So glad your on the mend! Yikes! 
Thanks for checking on me! This has been a constant update! Somedays not sure if folks want to see another post from me, mostly about my 45 project? 
Assembly work is always interesting after painting trying not to mess things up.
Today the lower front seat bushing was a challenge. Thought I had it set up good. Bushing went in half way and stopped. Started to damage the outer member of the bushing. Had to pull it back out, clean everything up and try it again. Ground a few thousands off the O.D. 
Its all about the tooling! 
A couple 13/16 Craftsman sockets just fit to be the pusher and stabilizer as the bushing was pulled into position.

Bushing in home position:

Little bit of goop and installed the gasket for the pulley delete cup. I haven't put a pulley on any of these tractors. (need one more for the Allis glass top coffee table!)

Also installed the water pump. Still cleaning some parts like the 3 point lift arms. Not sure I am going to install the aftermarket 3 point on this tractor? But it will be orange. Still searching for the elusive bolts for installing parts. 

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 12 Jun 2019 at 12:24pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 8:07pm
Folks,
 Todays message related to orange.
( and black) i just realized that my mothers favorite color was this same shade of Persian Orange and she liked black too, so this post is for her! I digress sorry.

Weather is rain again, so time to work on the assembly process. 
Brake and clutch assembly was tightened up with some welds in worn spots on the cross rod. 

Manifold was in process too: I cleaned the studs up and painted them with the same heat resistant paint. Cleaned the entire area on the head and shot it with some clear which will probably just burn off and rust anyway.
Trial fit up. Had to tweek a couple studs just a smidge. Used sealant on all the studs into the head.

Used masking tape to hold the gaskets in place then pulled the tape when they were close enough to not fall off and get out of position:

Shot of clear on the brass nuts to keep them fresh for another day or two.

Was fitting up the governor casting and realized there was no hole in this block for the locating dowel. Have removed the dowel, which does not seem to add much to the location anyway.

Picked up a alternator at NAPA. Just need to switch out the pulley to the wider belt style.

Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 13 Jun 2019 at 8:11pm
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 10:21am
Awesome Progress! This is turning out beautifully! Thank you for sharing!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 8:36pm
Strokendiesel,
 Your very welcome. My goal is to hopefully help someone work on their WD or WD45 gas tractor.
Tonight I mixed up some orange and touched up some areas, and painted some fasteners. Spent most of the day at Coolsprings PA stationary engine show. The 600 HP Snow engine is just awesome!
Regards,
 Chris
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 10:29pm
Oh yeah, lookin' quite purty sir! That picture of the puppers wearing some ear-pro is mighty fantastic, too! Smile

Tiny update on my side of things... My front spindle threads are boogered up a bit, and my inner bearing race is cracked in three spots! Oye. Fortunately I've got new bearings and races, but wanting to clean up the spindles and hubs and punch the old races out to see if the hub is worth saving and if I can rebuild it without having some machining done on the spindles.

Edited by garden_guy - 14 Jun 2019 at 10:30pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 6:41am
Folks,
gg,
Before you go farther on the axle, I wanted to remind you that the spindle is a replaceable item. At least on paper. I have never tried to replace one yet! But they are held with a pin that you can see in the lower right of your top photo. Maybe someone can describe changing one of them? I am sure there are some better used ones out there? 
The bearing journals look ok but if you cant hold the assembly together its not going to provide you with long term service! 
Might also be a option to buy the whole lower assembly with good axles on both sides? Better look at the other one before you go much farther. Support the tractor on wood cribbing. be safe!:)

Second: They do make a special two piece locking nut for worn spindle threads too.  Inner nut and outer locking portion like a castellated nut. It is designed to pinch down on the worn out threads. We had to use them on our Ford 5000 front spindles. A weak spot on that tractor. Of course we worked the heck out out of it and probably didnt check it enough. 

On the inner large bearing race. I have not seen one cracked like that. That should punch out easily! The hub looks savable from this view. Punch out the small outer race too.
Your spacer and washer look good. Funny I am just about ready to put my hubs back on. I will try to take some pictures too.

Your doing good. This is a important part of the tractor to keep it moving!
Soak, wash, scrub, brush, that hub in a half gallon of gas. Things will start to come back together nicely for you. 
Having the new parts ready  to go in is a plus.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 15 Jun 2019 at 6:47am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 9:19pm
Definitely going to be ordering those wheel lock nuts for busted threads. Also ordered me a thread chasing file (apparently the spindle is a 3/4" - 16 UNF thread). Just working on the front end has been spendy already, lol.

I went out tonight and took my calipers and did some measurements (which may not be amazingly accurate) of the bearing surfaces left on the spindle vs. the inside of the new bearings. Here is what I see.

Inner Spindle, Up/Down: 1.475"
Inner Spindle, Left/Right: 1.491"

Outer Spindle, Up/Down: 1.182"
Outer Spindle, Left/Right: 1.186"

New Bearing For Inner Spindle: 1.501"
New Bearing For Outer Spindle: 1.189"

They aren't as bad as I thought they'd be, honestly... But I'm not sure what max allowable tolerance is on this sort of thing.

Will have to hammer out the races and post those pictures next weekend of what I find -- ran out of time thanks to the rain today. Look forward to using my new bearing race punch though!

Also, sidebar, in my new bearing parts kits, I see one item that doesn't look like anything I pulled out... There's a curved piece that looks like part washer part cap. Does it go with the inner bearing somehow?

Edited by garden_guy - 15 Jun 2019 at 9:58pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 6:42am
GG,
The cupped ring is the outside retainer for the large felt seal. the large washer covers the inside of the seal.
Yes it can get pricey, but spread over 50 years its not that much!:)
Your doing good.
Happy Fathers day to all the dads out there. 
Were are in the rainy weather pattern, so it may be a garage day. 
I picked up a set of gasket hole punches Friday. Will try them out on the gasket for the upper cover on the torque tube, under the starter.
Regards,
 Chris
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 7:00am
     Hey Sugarmaker, Happy Father's Day to you. Your tractor restoration has certainly been interesting and informative. You must have great patience and really enjoy that project. Looking good. Keep up the good work.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 10:43am
Thanks Sugarmaker!

I know there's some wear on the spindle, via the numbers, but not sure if it's too much slop (.010" in one direction, .025" in the other). Leery of getting a "used" one, because it could well have the same issues I already have (and none of the local places seem to have any WD parts). May just have to dry fit everything and see how it looks. But the hub seems in decent shape. Oh well, more fun to have next weekend!

Curious to see your new gasket hole punch thing in action. I know a lot of people make their own gaskets, curious to see how it works.

And happy fathers day to all the dads out there!

Edited by garden_guy - 16 Jun 2019 at 10:43am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:29pm
Ac, GG and Folks,
Well the gasket punch set worked so well I didnt even get any pictures! It will pay for itself in just a couple gaskets.
Ac, To close to turn around at this point! Must keep plodding forward!Smile Folks do these all the time but don't get as carried away as me to document the general process. 
We are stuck in the rinse cycle so good day to spend in the garage. 
I spoke with my son and his fiance, they just moved to Denver. Looks like a good place to hang out!

Back here in the Allis assembly:
So my starter snugs up in this position. Just seems like its out farther than normal??

Alternator ready to mount someday:

I thought I had got this clutch adjustment all free prior to clean and paint? NOT! I had to use the blue tip wrench to help loosen the threaded joint. I wanted the hand clutch grab portion to be forward and not hit my knee. 

Not happy with the finish on the battery box, that will need to be sanded and repainted.

Governor / distributor housing in position:

Thanks for checking on me. We progress slowly!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 8:12pm
Folks,
installing the lower draft control unit this afternoon.

A lot of fog here tonight, after a day of rain! 

Regards,
 Chris
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 9:06pm
Impressive.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 7:42am
It's coming along nicely, Chris. I'll take a look at the starter on my 45 and see if it sits proud like yours.

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 8:18am
Starter is out too far.
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 2:36pm
Dave, Jay, Folks,
The starter is in place where the divot is in the starter housing. Now I am not sure this is a correct Allis starter? Was on the tractor when I got it and the starter did function OK. Not sure there is any way to verify bendix to ring gear engagement? As in a visual. Might just have to measure from know point to the ring gear and then check starter bendix outward dimension??
I will add that to the list. I dont want to ruin a new ring gear.

Worked on front wheel hub assembly:
Washer and spacer in place:
 This cupped washer hanging on the spindle is not in correct position. I was trying to figure out which way it went. Well it goes into the hub the other direction. I covers the big bearing and provides a face for the felt seal to set against. I oiled the felt seals. 

Cupped washer in place: I believe this is the correct position/ direction?

Outside bearing, washer and thick washer, nut and cotter pin:

Need wheels!

Seat spring assembly in position:

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 17 Jun 2019 at 9:50pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 2:44pm
Folks,
My method of getting this SC together. I put a piece of 1 inch bar stock in the hole (2-1/2 inches long)  and will try to push it through with the pin. Maybe there is a easy way to do this. I just didn't find it yet?  The assembly was tough enough to put together on the bench.

Regards,
 Chris
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 3:41pm
That's exactly the way I did it when I replaced the spring on mine, Chris. Went great, without a hitch. (sorry! I thought that was punny! )
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 5:39pm
Tim, ya oughta be ashamed of yerself. LOL
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 7:12pm
Chris, here's a photo of the starter in place on my WD45. There's almost no separation between the starter case and the housing. What this means for your starter I do not know!

Dave

WC, CA, D14, WD45
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 7:30pm
Interesting, mine sits a lot like Chris'. It was that way when I bought it, and when I had it rebuilt a few years ago, it fit back in exactly the same way.
And Dave, I don't know if there's room on here for TWO shameless's, so yeah, I am ashamed lol!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 9:32pm
Tim, Dave, Folks
I checked the starter dimensions and when the bendix is not driving the ring gear, back in home position) it has 1/4 ish clearance. So it is good in current location. I have also seen some older starters fit right up tight to the bell housing. Not this one. Had that starter in and out 4 time I think. Good suggestion from Don(MO) was to clean up the mating surface, and apply some dielectric grease. Should have real good ground!

Tim,
Great minds think alike! Mine was a snap to get together!:) (Some pun intended!)

Less parts on the tables: Man I hope this thing runs and moves!Smile

More fasteners to paint tomorrow if the weather is good.
Thanks for checking on me.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 17 Jun 2019 at 9:36pm
Jgranat View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jgranat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 4:39am
Not to be picky but a dielectric grease would impede your grounding by reducing conductivity, not improve it.  I'm sure you meant the opposite effect, a good grease to limit corrosion there is all you need. 

I used to program and run CNC EDM machines and dielectric fluid, either oil or deionized water was used to keep the "electrical contact" limited to the electrode and work piece interface to facilitate machining of the part.  Most unit operate with the cutting action submerged in a tank of dielectric, so the obvious purpose is to keep the current from the electrode from shorting to the tank and surrounding parts, the truth is the electrode never touches the part, electric sparks across the gap like a spark plug once it is close enough and the result is a slight erosion of the material of both in that area, repeated over and over it machines a piece of metal to a desired shape, usually a complex one that would be much more difficult, even impossible to machine with conventional methods. 

Sorry for the long off track addition to this laser focused thread about a WD45, but I just thought I'd share a bit.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 45>
  Share Topic