This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 8:31pm
Bobby, Folks,
 Humm cutting corners! Yea I have been doing that most of my life!:) I will try the welding thing first just to say I did it. Then will go from their. Two brake stories:
 When I was a kid we had a Case VAI on the farm. It never had brakes. So when hauling a load of hay 5 miles with it, you got pretty good at keeping it between the ditches and whoa-ed down when needed! The other was a 76 Ford truck that the brakes were so bad I had to stand on the pedal with both feet to get stopped. Guess I was too cheap to buy/ change pads!:)
Tell your Dad I said Hi too! He has been a huge help on this project!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 8:39pm
Wow, For a moment the screen went out and I thought maybe I had crashed the forum after 43K of views or something?:) Glad its back up!

BTW a new brake drum for a WD45 is $90 ish. So not the end of the world. Yea that could be the answer. 
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 9:48pm
Holy cow, I'm all worn out and most of my knuckles are bleeding or scabbed over now since the first page......Got to thinking and since you're doing the finals, why not weld a nut on the bottom pan and make a drain?  I don't remember where I first saw that, but it sure is nice after the fact.  The sludge in there is enough to make a grown man cry.  It can't RUN out, it's too thick with umteen years of dirt and crud in there.

You got lucky and had at least the one pin come out easily.  Usually when one is stuck good, so is the other.

I love Don's way of looking at it though,,,,,,,,,it's just nuts and bolts......yeah,,,,,and where did they all go to?!?!?   I had em in this coffee can inside this box and they aren't there now......

The finishing line is in sight...........git er done!  I'm pushing as hard as I can.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:35pm
Glad to hear you didn't end up with a flat clown foot, scary just thinkin about it Shocked. It only takes a spit second for these things to happen. Hope your brake drum weld goes good, it's always satisfying to save stuff like that and a little money to boot. Be safe. Thumbs Up
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 7:02am
Ted, Chas,
Folks,

That is a good idea on the drain plug! Will think about that one.

Well after a little more thought about what Bobby said, I went and looked at the drum again. Yesterday I cleaned the brake drum with gas to get the black crud off it. When i looked at the drum webbing this morning a large long crack had appeared in several places as if I had magnafluxed it! The gas was retained in the crack and really showed up. A trick you can try at home too, If your looking for cracks! Obvious this left drum was ready to grenade at any time! So a new drum is in order. Thanks Bobby!:) 

I can see hammering, cutting, heating, tapping and holding ones mouth just right to get this new drum in place!

Stay tuned for another episode of a old guy, whittling a WD45, out of a block of steel! 

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 14 May 2019 at 7:06am
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 8:24am
Chris, get a hold of LonMn. He has good used WD brake drums on the shelf.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

I can see hammering, cutting, heating, tapping and holding ones mouth just right to get this new drum in place!

Stay tuned for another episode of a old guy, whittling a WD45, out of a block of steel! 

Regards,
 Chris

OK, if you want to know the secret: You need to have a politician, standing outside naked facing north, juggling 3 chipmunks the entire time you're working on it otherwise -- well, it won't work, and the next attempt they'll have to use skunks instead of chipmunks... then raccoons... and by the time it gets to bears, you shoulda just bought a new tractor.
But yeah, that's how it works. I found out the hard way. Got all the way up to tigers when I was working on the brakes. And went through 11 politicians. But I figure it was the best use they've ever been.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

Chris, get a hold of LonMn. He has good used WD brake drums on the shelf.

Thanks Mike and Tim,
Just made the trip to Sandy Lake and picked up brake components including a new drum.
Let the fun begin! Sandy Lake has had good luck heating the outer portion of the brake drum and then installing it on the axle. Several moves to make before we are ready for that to happen.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 14 May 2019 at 12:47pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 8:11pm
Folks,
My report for the day is that it was easier than I thought to change a brake drum on a WD45. In fact it was much easier than taking the darn lower pin out. Here is how it went down:
First whack with a hammer and this big chunk broke off and you can see that most of this was a old crack.

Used one of the Lennox cut off blades on my 4.5 inch grinder to make some cuts in the old drum. Then whacked it down to the hub. easy peasy!

Cut through the hub towards the keyway. And also a cut 180 from that. Tapped it with the air chisel and it fell apart easier than cracking a walnut! Cleaned up the shaft and new drum ready.

Fixtured the drum for easy heating and used the rose bud to bring it up to temp 400 F. Heated mainly the outside portion of the drum. 

The key here was a Harbor freight temp gun, to see if your close.  That helped a lot to be sure I was at or near 400 F. Over a little but was worried it would be tight on the shaft or get stuck part way on. Not a problem!

Drum slipped right on the shaft up to, and stopped at the snap ring. 

Cooled to room temp and its on there!

All in all a good day in the land of Allis brakes. Thanks to Bobby for the encouragement to replace this drum. I had never done one and was very leary. But it was the right thing to do and wasnt a bad job. Plus I get to change that rear seal too!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 14 May 2019 at 9:18pm
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 8:29pm
Oh man, that old crack on that brake drum is scary! Thanks for the pics of the front spindle lower piece. Neat to see what that all looks like inside.

Did you end up having any looseness in your keyway when you were working on the pedestal? Or how was the steering on this one before you started to work on rebuilding it?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 9:16pm
GG,
 Your welcome! Hope it may help you a little. I never have the right pictures! I did have some slop in the key so I welded it up and refit it to the key way. This tractor had really bad bearings on the worm gear shaft. I think if I ever get it back together it will steer ok.

Regards,
 Chris

Bradleytrench View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradleytrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 6:04am
Chris, that brake drum looks nice. Glad you replaced it.

My next project is my wd corn picker tractor. The pin that holds the hand clutch lever to transmission housing has seen better days. The housing is all broke out around the pin. Dad wants me to find another tractor. He has plenty of housing laying around. Im going to go through the tractorn from the draw bar to the front hand crank pin.

Good progress on the old tractor. Bobby Mo
1 WD45D, 1 A2 GLEANER, Wd w 33mounted corn picker
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:55am
Bobby,
Folks,
 Looking forward to your progress on the corn picker tractor. 

A shot of the old seal in the rear end carrier.

Also the shims are at the same place this bolts to the tractor. Use care to get them back in there in the same stack thickness. I am going to use alignment dowels and thread sealer when this goes back on. With the new seal will be prematexed in place and with lots of lube on the seal. This new seal has a very small hidden spring under the rolled lip. Looks to be a much more robust seal too.
I think I have gone through the majority of seals on this tractor. But after have several senior moments lately! The next tractor, if there ever is one ,may be completely new again! if you old folks catch my drift?:)
Also am going to try turning this final drive assembly upside down and begin to install the new bearings and bull gear. Oh yes and lots of cleaning off old paint too!
Weather is finally sunny and warm. Grass to mow, after this new seal is in place. 

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 18 May 2019 at 9:25pm
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:26am
Just a reminder, she is held together with nuts and bolts, the key is witch bolts or nuts go's where. lol 
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:47pm
Don, Folks, 
Good point. I try to keep them in correct locations!:)
The carrier got a new seal and thin layer of sealant on each shim surface. reinstalled with sealant on bolts and torqued to 50 ft lbs.

Turned final upside right and did some cleaning:

Next steps will be to put in bearing races, outer bearing, seal, bull gear, spacer, and snap ring and then the axle. I have done these several times in the WD's in the normal position. Looking forward to not standing on my head for this one!:)

Set up the Electrolysis tank today and began cleaning the brake shoes. These will get some primer and black paint and be ready for inserting the pads with rivets.

Regards,
 Chris 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 8:09am
Folks,
Good morning!
Brake shoe and new lining! Yes I am glad I went this far! If the tractor runs good this will be a good thing to have working correctly!
Used a small modified punch to start the peen over. Many gentle taps are better than few strong ones which tend to split the rivets. I like the new flex pads!  

Center rivet (first one) I was a little too agressive.

Bolt in vise with modification on the top to support the rivet head and the shoe was supported by the sides of the vice.

First one came out Ok! Other shoes are in various stages of prep.
Off to get the great grandsons 7045 pedal tractor from the sand blaster. 
We have SUN!
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 8:12pm
Folks,
Worked on the left side finals today:
Installed these items:

Here I was pulling the bearing races into the housing.

Will pull the right final tomorrow. I see the new brake drums are 1-3/4 inches wide and the old one is 2 inches wide. 

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 18 May 2019 at 9:23pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 9:30am
Folks,
Removed the right side final, Brake drum looks good. Cleaned up nice from the torch splatter. The pinion shaft has slight wear at the old seal position. Polished that. I believe this new seal will ride at a different spot. Cleaned lots of oily, greasy dirt, out of the rear end and the trumpet area. Bees nest and several mouse nests. 

This may go a little quicker since I dont have to replace the brake drum on this WD side of the tractor. Brake shoe install is waiting too! Weather today is dreary and chance of rain, again!
 I have to come up with a better method to get the snap ring on the spline of the axle. It was a pain with a couple screwdrivers.

Hope things are good in Orange Land!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 18 May 2019 at 9:24pm
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 9:37am
Chris, I feel your pain on the snap-ring. They make snap-ring pliers for that, they are flat on the ends. Much easier than the screwdriver method! I ran into them at a swap meet, one of those tool vendor guys.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 9:49am
Mike,
I am going to try to push the ring on through the small bearing opening next time. Just need to hold the shaft tight. Think I have a idea. Thanks!
Regards,
 Chris
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:14pm
As I'm reading this Chris, I'm listening to the thunder of yet another storm.  They're talking up to 5" of rain by this time Sunday.  Gonna be real wet around here again.
I hate to say it, but I want a video of you putting that snap ring on that way.  it's gonna be interesting how it works out.
That final slipping was a wake up call.  We've ALL got to be more careful ALL THE TIME.  I know I get a little lax and tend to take short cuts that don't work out.  Yep, it's scary when chit like that happens.  After you change underware, you say a little prayer of thanks to the Good Lord for watching over our dumb posteriors.
The light is on at the end of the tunnel.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 7:52am
Ted,
Thanks, Yes we need to be safe working on this stuff alone! I dont know how to do videos and get them up -loaded. I am better at changing the brakes in a WD45!:) I need to go research that video thing.
Try to stay dry, that's a lot of rain! Looking a lot like rain here this morning too. I have another 5 hours of mowing at the tractor show grounds when its dry.

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 9:19pm
Orange folks,
Trying to get some of the major chunks of work completed on this WD45 project.
Completed the riveting of the brake shoes.
Worked on the right final drive this afternoon. 
Ted I got that snap ring in easier than before but a pickle fork might even be easier?
Pulled the races into position placed the outside bearing, and pulled in the outer seal.

Paint removal was attempted since it was upside down.

Then installed the bull gear spacer and snap ring. Used two screw drivers to push the snap ring up the tapered incline of the axle and the ring expanded and went right on. Still had to hold my mouth just right. But was way easier then prying it on. Correct snap ring plyers might work good.

Right side final is back on the tractor rear end! 
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 18 May 2019 at 9:21pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 7:45pm
Folks,
 Mowing at the local tractor show grounds has been keeping me busy. Paint booth took a an hit from the very high winds today! Was in a tangled mess when I got home this afternoon! May rebuild??:)
Hope things are good!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 7:51pm
Orange team members,
Didn't feel like it, but tried to complete the brake project today.
This is not that easy, trying to think what to compare it to? Maybe standing on your head and juggling comes to mind. First the book says just reach up in there and line up the shoes while you put the pin in. NOT! I finally had to get under the tractor and look up through the hole to get the pin started. Best to get the pin through the outside of the shoes and then never seize the pin on the inside and the outside. Then insert the pin through the inside set of holes. Return springs in place. Just need to add the tightners in the rear when that area is cleaned up.

Used new pins on both sides. One thing that would help is if the pin had a small lead to start through the shoes! One of mine has that now, since I was having a tough time getting it into the shoe on the inside which is blind.

Clips to hold pins, to be installed later, after clean up and primer.

Have a safe and fun Memorial Day!

Regards,
 Chris

Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 4:47pm
Chris - one more thing to add to the list of "things to be done differently"! LOL
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Jgranat View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jgranat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 6:38pm
A chamfer on a pin like that ought to be a law of engineering Chris. Tractor is looking better with every step, nice work.

You been mowing at Pioneer grounds? That is a lot of grass to mow.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Jgranat Jgranat wrote:

A chamfer on a pin like that ought to be a law of engineering Chris. Tractor is looking better with every step, nice work.

You been mowing at Pioneer grounds? That is a lot of grass to mow.

Joe,
Thanks!
Yes I think there is like 15 acres to mow aft the show grounds. I ran my string trimmer 8 hours on Monday at the show grounds. Spent most of the day today getting the track disced, scraped and rolled for the antique tractor pull June 1. 
The 45 got no attention today. Ok I take that back. I pulled the drawbar guide assembly from the E-tank and wire brushed the soot, rust and paint off of it.
How is your 45 coming along?

Regards,
 Chris
Jgranat View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jgranat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 5:22am
Progress is slower on my tractor. I still need to wash and clean the head so I can machine the bad valve seat out. Just not as much free time with the work schedule I'm on at the moment. I have chickens ready to butcher. Gonna cook a couple Monday I think.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 9:04pm
Folks,
Some progress on the 45 project tractor:
Installed the pans on the final drives with 1.5 quarts of 85/140. 

Alignment dowels and floor jack helped in this process too:

Rear end cover installed and most of the rear end wire brushed.

Joe, you should have some good eatin on those birds!

Regards,
 Chris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 45>
  Share Topic