This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 42434445>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by garden_guy garden_guy wrote:

Just stopped back by to look at the pictures on page 9 and 10 of the rework of the pedestal... I really need to check that and the steering on both my WDs one of these days, but not until I have a real shop with a concrete floor and some more tools. Or learn how to weld, lol.

Anything I can do if I pull the 4 bolt top cover off the pedestal and look down at the worm gear? Or does everything get taken out the bottom to work on anyway?

GG ,
You wont hurt any thing by pulling that top lid. Starts to get you familiar with the workings. Best to safely jack up the front end so you can see if anything is loose/ worn out.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 8:22pm
Well sugarmaker, I haven't gone down that road yet, but she's at my cousin's shop and he has her torn down pretty good for the rear wheel repair and to scope out a radiator repair:

Replacing the thermostat and a bunch of other odds and ends at the moment as well. Right now I am working on rebuilding the seat while he's doing all the hard work!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 8:51pm
GG,
 Hey that looks like a nice shop! Are those big sliding doors with the insulation on them??
The jack stands look very secure and correct for that project! Well supported!
 You have your tractor in a really good position to spend some quality time with it, and your potentially lighter wallet, if you want to make the next moves to tidy up all the components, and proceed to put some primer and PO#1 on the old girl! Now is the time. But it does take time also. May not want to tie up his shop?? You plan to do any engine/ drive line work too?
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 31 Mar 2021 at 8:55pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

GG,
 Hey that looks like a nice shop! Are those big sliding doors with the insulation on them??
The jack stands look very secure and correct for that project! Well supported!
 You have your tractor in a really good position to spend some quality time with it, and your potentially lighter wallet, if you want to make the next moves to tidy up all the components, and proceed to put some primer and PO#1 on the old girl! Now is the time. But it does take time also. May not want to tie up his shop?? You plan to do any engine/ drive line work too?
 Regards,
 Chris

Thanks Chris! Yeah, he's got his shop insulated for working in the nasty cold winters like we just had. Definitely jealous of that and all the concrete there, wish I had a solid floor like that in my little shed!

I am working on borrowed time I think (as planting season and other stuff will soon be upon us), but I've got a bunch of odds and ends that are being replaced or repaired. The waterpump is relatively new, and so are the brakes, so fortunately that is good to go. I redid the brake/clutch pedals with sleeves and a new pivot bar, I just did new front hubs and bearings last year, got new rubber for the fronts, and we got her cleaned up real good and now she's also getting all new gauges, a new thermostat, new wiring harness (the old one was in a bad way), a new Nelson muffler, some other electrical parts, a new battery box, a repaired radiator, repaired rear rims, all sorts of gaskets and such, and I am in the middle of rebuilding the Knoedler seat... My wallet is *definitely* lighter, lol.

And with her all stripped down I told him to go ahead and prep it and spray some paint on her. I got him 4 quarts of PO#1 from AGCO and he got primer, so we'll see how she looks here in the coming weeks! Going to pick up some Silver Argent from the local CASE IH dealer for the rims, I think.

I don't have any engine/drive line work planned actually, but this tractor has been okay in that department for the 10 years I've had it. I'm basically trying to make the most out of the time I've got left for having it in his shop without being in his way Big smile . The big issue I had was the rear rims were about ready to blow out, so that was the reason it went over in December. But since we both had a little time, it expanded to what you see now. Funny how a focused project can balloon so quickly, haha.

Edited by garden_guy - 01 Apr 2021 at 9:10pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 9:38pm
GG,
 Tell me about it! The shop thing? Well I vote for you to build one! Many folks on here will help you get through that too. If the wallet will hold up!:)
You are doing the right things on the tractor. Fix what you can the best you can. You wont regret getting a new coat of paint on it too! I had a feeling you were going there! Dont forget a new set of decals! The rim work will be good for a long time! You loading the rears?
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

GG,
 Tell me about it! The shop thing? Well I vote for you to build one! Many folks on here will help you get through that too. If the wallet will hold up!:)
You are doing the right things on the tractor. Fix what you can the best you can. You wont regret getting a new coat of paint on it too! I had a feeling you were going there! Dont forget a new set of decals! The rim work will be good for a long time! You loading the rears?
Regards,
 Chris

I do have a shop on my bucket list for sure. Wallet not quite ready to tackle that one yet though haha. Oh yes, got myself a new set of the vinyl decals. Figured if I was going to spend the money, I should get the good stuff.

I will eventually load the rears but plan to get both tractors rear rims fixed up before I do that (hoping I can get someone to come out and do it on location for 4 tires at that point). Will probably go with beet juice.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 10:27am
Just for reference, here is the paint I picked up... Kind of a sting to the wallet, but fingers crossed it works good.

AGCO Persian Orange #1 Quart:

AGCO Persian Orange #1 Spray:

Case IH silver argent quart for the rims:

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 12:11pm
GG,
Great looking line up of paints.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 4:34pm
Thanks Chris!

None of it was cheap, haha, but hoping she looks good when done!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 7:47pm
GG,
 You shooting the paint? Wear good, safe, painting gear!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 7:53pm
Folks,
 So I have plows on the 45 and plowed the garden. Had some issues and parked it in the shop. Friend Gary came over and as we ere looking at he noted the jamb nut on the left side of the beam was out of adjustment. Now maybe I didnt have this tight? have only plowed maybe 15 acres total since I refurbed the old plow. Anyway it was loose. So I tightened that up and it straightened the plow up with the tractor. Adjusted the coulters a little. Need to see if I have a plow book on this one. 

Regards,
 Chris

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 7:27am
Chris, the plow looks like it is ready to open the field. On following passes it needs to be 'winged-up', high on the right side so that it is level when tire is in the furrow.

I just did the preliminary adjustments on my 73. Drove the tractor up on about 8" worth of blocks to get it level. Takes about 15 turns on the left link to let it back down to level on flat ground.

The plow books give good directions on setting things up. The one for the 63 was hard to find though. Books for the 53 have basically the same leveling instructions and are easier to come by.

Edited by IBWD MIke - 17 Apr 2021 at 7:28am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 8:09am
Mike,
Thanks! Being lazy, I havent looked for the book, but I did have one of the tractors up on blocks on the left when I set the plows the first time. Several years ago. And It did plow pretty good with the D17. Might need to go through that  set up again too.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 12:35pm
Chris -- Nope, not me. My cousin has a sprayer and a paint booth set up, so letting him handle all of that.

Wish I could help more on the plow. The old 3 bottom snap coupler I have, I have it set how grandpa left it, and it still seems to plow okay. I never change it (you're supposed to do something to open a field up I recall), but it still plows okay. I keep thinking I should get the rear wheel up on an 8" block to see how it sits in the furrow.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 10:29am
Not to hijack your thread again Chris, but here's a small update on my rebuild... First off, here's my old rims, they were shot worse than I expected. The new rims look fantastic though.

Anyway, snuck by my cousin's paint booth yesterday to drop off some more parts and the new wiring harness, and it is looking very orange!

Pretty happy with how the color of AGCO PO#1 looks. I thought it looked like a solid match for the orange you painted your tractor, though I can't remember what paint you used.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 11:29am
GG,
 Not a problem! Love to see that fresh PO#1 on your tractor! He did a nice job of prepping and finish!
Save that rim for a while. You might need it to patch a rusty rim? New ones are the way to go, I was always too cheap. 
Sure is going to look sharp!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 7:22pm
For sure Chris. I'm going to hang on to the rim, the original battery box that came off, and some other odds and ends and hopefully drag 'em to swap meets in the next couple of years (once I get the other tractor all fixed up). I've tried to have parts live on as much as possible; like my old style front tire went to Iowa and my old front rim went to North Carolina I think. I've gotten a lot of good help from people on very affordable used parts and want to be able to pay it forward as well.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 8:20pm
GG,
I agree! These folks have helped me a lot on all my tractor projects! Good used parts from many good Allis folks!
The assembly work on your tractor is coming along nicely! Lots of details to look at. Its much more than just a paint job! Your really going to like it! You can be proud to bring it back to original condition. Will be even more special now with the work you have put into it!
Looking forward to seeing it back on its feet again too!
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 09 May 2021 at 8:21pm
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 7:20am
Nice! Wish I were a better painter.

On the rim; 'Fixing' one does save some coin but is very time consuming! Good winter project.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 8:11am
Garden Guy,
     Your tractor sure is looking good. Very exciting when you can begin putting it back together and it looks like a tractor again. Keep us informed of your progress. Thanks for the pictures.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 10:25pm
Sugarmaker -- Thanks so much! I have been very pleased with all the repairs we have done along the way. I haven't completely torn into everything, just those critical items or things we can tell are well worn or on the verge of giving out, but I am already well past the point where we planned to have my tractor out of the paint booth (due to slow parts arrivals, some extra things that needed repair, and both of us being busy with our day jobs). Hoping to wrap up with it by the end of the month here! I wish I had the time and knowledge to go in a little deeper, but the transmission seems sound and the clutch still works and the engine sounds good, so I am hoping she will hold together nicely for my lifetime.

IBWD Mike -- Thanks! Yeah, I wish I could paint well myself. That's why I'm leaving it to my cousin. And since I don't know how to weld, I could tell that the cost of the rim repair was going to be more than a new rim was going to cost me, given all the other work involved.

ac hunter -- Thank you! Hoping it will all start fitting back together soon; I've got some parts on order for finishing up the wheel re-assembly, and the radiatior and cowl just went back on this week and the wiring is starting... So, progress is happening at least!
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 6:46am
Wow, guys I can't believe this topic is still goin!
You sure know how to draw a crowd Chris! haha
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 9:42pm
Indeed he does; he did good work! Encouraged many of us to step up our game, haha.

Here's the new Case IH Argent Silver rims with some AGCO Persian Orange #1 wheel centers (prior to some touch up paint).

Got a truck load of old parts. Got rid of the old stanley muffler, the old battery box, have both old rims, and the old radiator. Opted to get new of everything.

It's going to sting the pocket book, but I hope to have the tractor back home next month!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 6:16am
Dave, GG, Folks,
I do have the ability to encourage folks to spend massive ammounts of money! I figure I am doing it why should GG and others? 
GG These rims and tires look wonderful. I dont think you will regret the dollars you are spending on your family tractors! Your doing great!

Here is a picture of a family tractor My WD that belonged  to my Uncle Jack. He is gone but his son Jerry stopped in to visit and took it for a ride, Jerry had spent many hours on this tractor as a kid. The smile on his face was priceless:

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 12:11pm
Good lookin' machine there Chris!

I suspect I'll have the old gal home in a couple of weeks here.

One question... The wheel eccentrics don't want to turn all the way back clockwise to lock against the wheel for some reason (new rails, cleaned up all the internals, etc.).... Any suggestions on getting the wheels locked?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:18pm
GG,
 Well yes they are tight. I try to take them and tighten a couple and see if they go all the way to lock. then loosen them and do the other two opposing ones. Then start to bring them all to near lock. turn one tight then go around and turn the other ones. Good six point to fit the eccentric good 1/2 inch drive with breaker bar and a 3 foot cheater. Go slow. make sure they have been lubed good to.
Keep working them I think they will go for you.
Regards,
Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 5:02pm
Interesting approach, I like it. I guess if it seems like they won't cooperate, may be worth driving forward or backwards a little to see if sitting a little different will let me get it? Or sliding it in or out a little on the rail (I've got them set out in the middle position so I am using two of the wheel stops as well, so they've got a tiny bit of wiggle room on the rail). I may need to pick up some pipe to leverage as my cheater, as I've just got a 2 foot breaker bar at the moment.

They need to be all the way clockwise to be locked right? There's some magic to that position that "holds" them in place?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 6:25pm
GG,
 Yes they need to go over center till the tab on the eccentric bolt rest against the bracket. I had to use a cheater on each one I did. You might be able to use a impact, but you don't have the same control or feel, but the vibration might bring it over center. Your idea of moving may be good, and work, but I never moved mine till I had all the eccentrics in place and tight.
Others may have better ideas than I on getting them tight. Also I do this with no weight on the wheel.
Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 24 May 2021 at 8:09pm
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 7:20pm
@garden_guy; I think leverage is the key. When I did mine last spring I used my old BluePoint 3/4" ratchet and the 36" handle to bring the tabs to rest against the rail.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 8:43am
For what it's worth; I've got a 20 MM socket I welded a 1/2" to 3/4" adapter to. Use a good 3/4 drive ratchet like JTOOL. I built it more for calcium rusted ones that clean/painted ones.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 42434445>
  Share Topic