This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2019 at 2:33pm
Chris, you will need a 9  SPRING, pressure plate for a WD45, not a D17. They started using the 9 spring pressure plate at engine ser# 45-99650 or ask for the heavy-duty 9 spring plate used in the later 1956 WD45 tractors.  Just remember it will be harder to push the 9 spring down.lol  
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2019 at 8:41pm
Folks,
 Don, Mike,
Had a chance to work on the 45 for a few hours today. I chose to use the existing 6 spring which was in very good condition. The clutch and pressure plate will be returned tomorrow as I may be near Sandy Lake.

Here was a shot of the throw out bearing when it was re-installed:

The engine and bell housing went together pretty well. Use alignment dowels and then jockeyed the engine up and down to match the level of the torque tube. Spun the drive shaft with the transmission gears to get the splines in the clutch plate aligned. Then a little more juggling to get the dowels and the pilot bushing to align. Easy/Peasy!Smile

I used some clamps to pull it together the last 1/2 inch.

Thanks guys for your support, and suggestions. 

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 8:33pm
Orange folks,
Weather was nice so the paint gun came out and a lot of WD45 parts got a coat of primer. About 80% complete with that. Even the wife wants to see some orange!Smile Me too!

I did get the manifold cleaned up in the E-tank and wire brushed. Also removed some more webbing in the area where the carb bolts on.

Applied some high temp paint.

Also cut out the ends of the drawbar guide to allow it to slip on to the bolts. Similar to this old one.

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
MDWilliams338 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 10:34pm
Just checking in on ya,everything seems to be in order....carry on 🤓
‘42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

It isn’t how you die.It’s what you live for.-Daniel Boone
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 7:26am
MD,
Folks,
Thanks! I will keep going. The end is not in sight:) yet!
Coating parts if weather holds. Grass is calling to be mowed.
Regards,
 Chris
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 8:56am
I painted the new manifold for the CA with that same paint Chris. It is holding up pretty well. I'm sure in time it will burn off the exhaust ports, maybe the belly mower just doesn't work it hard enough?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 1:00pm
Mike ,
This will be the third manifold painted with this stuff and it is pretty good. I like the look of the gray better than, burnt off orange paint, on the exhaust portion.
Rain today so parts prep work all morning. I believe I have almost reached the end of the parts! Yippeeeeeee!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 9:07pm
Folks,
I try to learn a few things as I go along on these types of tractor projects. My suggestion would be to never take one apart this far!:) I have parts hanging from every spot in the garage! Dang there is a lot of parts in/on one of these old tractors!.

Hope things are good in orange land. 
Regards,
 Chris
Bradleytrench View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradleytrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 9:57pm
Chris, the tractor is looking nice. I know all about a barn full of parts hanging out as you rebuild a project. This is a truck that had rolled over on its left side. It was totalled. My boss bought it back from the insurance company. We started with 2 frame rails and built a truck. Myself, my boss and another friend of ours built this truck. Took 3 years from start to finish.

This was the teardown

Here is the after

Bobby Mo

Edited by Bradleytrench - 05 Jun 2019 at 9:59pm
1 WD45D, 1 A2 GLEANER, Wd w 33mounted corn picker
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 10:26pm
Bobby,
Wow, I am glad my brain cant go to that level of details! Awesome truck! 

That's why I just call my projects refurb, clean and paint!Smile

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 8:31am
Folks,
 Hummmmm???> Rain again today. So more time to work on the painting prep work for the 45 parts. I have started marking the hangers to allow me to tell what needs primer.  Next will be to mark what is scuffed and ready for top coating! yeaa! Slow progress is still progress in my book!
(name all the parts in this picture and win the prize!)

The tag on this distributor has all the paint wore off. Any one restore these on the unit? New ones are $15 plus shipping. Not sure how the case on this unit got so rusty and pitted? Had to glaze it just to make it look a little more presentable. 
Actually a lot of the parts could have been glazed and sanded to remove all the pits. I am just not going that far on one of these tractors. Way to much work for this old man!
 Sorry the picture is blurry and not a great angle. 
Hope things are good out there in orange land!Smile
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 06 Jun 2019 at 8:32am
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 7:19pm
 OK Chris where do you wont me to start at?  
O hold on there, before I name all the parts in this picture to win the prize, just what is the prize?! lol

Edited by Don(MO) - 07 Jun 2019 at 7:15am
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 8:07pm
Folks,
I finally started a punch list  of work, to try to get things ready for finished paint. Maybe that will help to stay on task? Probably not, as I am easily distracted!  I stopped at a friends today to chat he has a similar problem with cars that I do with tractors. He is very detailed and builds awesome antique cars. He has a 1937 Ford street rod, in process. He said he had been working on it 11 years! I realize that I dont want to work on a project that long and these tractors are bad enough taking over a year to get one refurbed, cleaned and painted. 
I do have most of the parts in my head, as to where they go on the WD45 too!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 10:39pm
humm the prize I will have to think on that. Maybe something maple related! Yea thats it!

Folks,
 Well a pretty good day. Scuffing parts is not my most favorite job.  I dont have the patience for hours of sanding and prepping. Anyway I have now consumed 1 gallon of primer! Gone! Guess its time to get to the orange! There will be something that I have forgot or needs done over!
Grass mowing for 6 hours today helped balance the tedium of scuffing with the tedium of driving tractor. What a beautiful sunset. It was orange, hey, might have been a "GO" sign to get cracking on this top coat stuff!

Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 15 Jun 2019 at 6:52am
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 10:57pm
how about guessing on how many pounds of welding rod is holding up the parts
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 11:13pm
Aww, those aren't welding rods, they're wire from old political campaign signs finally put to good use lol!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:20am
Allis folks, Tim, Hud,
Good guesses, it is welding rod. Copper and brass, that I got years ago and they work good for this. I don't gas weld much anymore.
I have several more tractor items to scuff. I think I am at the point that I just need to paint the darn thing. I mean its only a tractor!
Thanks for checking in on me!
I hope the projects all you guys have are coming along nicely!
Regards,
 Chris
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:48am
Yessir, just another failed joke attempt on my part lol!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 7:22am
Tim I thought it was pretty good. LOL
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 8:37am
Awww, SHUCKS!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 9:26pm
Folks who dabble in orange tractors,
We got good weather for the external paint booth operation today. Just warning you there are pictures of a old man painting parts. View at your own risk! Man I hope this looks close to PO#1!!

I always have a hard time with hoods! They are really whimppy after taking them off the support frame. Shot the inside and a few hours later was able to get some orange on the outside too:

Side rails: Was getting dark sorry for the poor quality:

Bolster:

Most of the smalls have a coat of Acrylic Enamel:

Just a trial fit to see that we might get there someday:

Have used a half of a gallon of paint. Hope we have enough. No paint code on this batch! New HVLP gun is working pretty good! Set at about 10 PSI at the gun. Had a bunch of over spray on some parts by having them in the same area.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 Jun 2019 at 9:35pm
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 12:50am
You are making great progress, even if it has been a long road to this point, keep up the good work!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 6:00am
John, and Folks,
 Thanks for the continued support. The road seems longer because I have drug you folks through every bolt hole on this old 45. For some reason when I start on something like this I think it will be done in a couple weeks. If I can complete the paint and assembly by this fall I will have owned the tractor 2 years. and have maybe put 4 hours of run time on it! 
The painting process will continue until all the parts I can find are done, or I run out of paint!
One of the things I always forget to mention is the help from forum members in either advice and or parts on a project tractor. i would not have been able to get this done without this awesome group of Allis lovers!

Regards,
 Chris

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 9:02am
Looks to me like you are on the downhill slide. I'm certainly no great painter but painting is easy compared to the prep work! Wish I had your patience to clean everything that well.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 3:54pm
Mike,
Folks,
For some reason I like the cleaning up to the point I have to paint then my brain starts to have issues!Smile
Another 8 hours of scuffing, prepping, staging and top coat of PO#1. I think I have most of the stuff done. Whew!

Looks a lot like the other two I have done at this point!

I probably need to go over the underside of the chassis again. It seems I always miss some small areas. At this point I found one run on the left lower bull gear oil pan. Not to bad. I had one giant 2 inch mosquito attach herself to the freshly painted fender. State law says they have to flop around as much as possible too!
Only one paint mishap, forgot to put the lid on the paint gun and sloped a cup on paint on the floor! Did learn some things. These guns have a vent on the top, it got plugged up and the gun would not function properly.  

More pictures later! Cheryl and I are going out for a nice steak dinner! I owe her big time for allowing me to take over her garage for a year!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 15 Jun 2019 at 6:56am
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 4:46pm
You are definitely rolling in orange as they say. We call that 2 incher a mosquito hawk up here, they eat mosquitos. Ours are four inch up here cause our squito's have wood ticks on em. And yes momma does deserve that steak  enjoy. 
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
MDWilliams338 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 6:30pm
Nicely done,bravo!! I can smell that orange from here...now the fun,assembly time😬
‘42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

It isn’t how you die.It’s what you live for.-Daniel Boone
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 6:35pm
     Looks good. Now you can start assembly and all those parts will begin to look like you ae really accomplishing something. All that hard work and patience is paying off. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 9:15pm
Guys,
 Thanks for the words of encouragement! All painted parts are inside in case the weather gets nasty. I need to take a break from this tractor project for a while! 

The porterhouse was delicious!

Hope things are good in Orange land!

Regards,
 Chris
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 6:39am
Chris, I think we need to find your next project, getting close to done with this one. A thread like this on say a series 2 D-15 would be great! In all seriousness, looking great.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 45>
  Share Topic