This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 4:29pm
Good thing I'm not completely blind,,,,,,,,,,,,I can almost see those pics Chris.
They need to be a lot bigger than that....Confused
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Good thing I'm not completely blind,,,,,,,,,,,,I can almost see those pics Chris.

Ted your confused? What about me! Trying to get something other that photobucket to load up some pictures and technology is fightin me today.

Well the flickr thing will need some more time I cant figure it out yet.
Not sure why the old photobucket is not working?
And further more why in the world would anyone want to pay $400 per year to have there own photos saved? Seems ridiculous to me!
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Ted your confused? What about me! Trying to get something other that photobucket to load up some pictures and technology is fightin me today.

Well the flickr thing will need some more time I cant figure it out yet.
Not sure why the old photobucket is not working?
And further more why in the world would anyone want to pay $400 per year to have there own photos saved? Seems ridiculous to me!
Regards,
 Chris

I hope they go broke.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 6:06pm
Me too! But where is this picture storage thing going?
Enjoyed the ride. Looks bumpy from here on out?

anyway:
a old 45 in its work clothes.

Yes some rim repairs required someday.

washed the crust off and a lot of grease on the engine. (Note to self: must put a tapered lock pin and nut on the pulley on the crank.)

Grill has issues, talked to a farmer about 5 miles from me that may have one for sale.

3 point should work well for brush hog.

carb side: I took the lights off the WD so they will be retrofit to this 45. That probably saved me at least $75.

Sorry for the blurry pictures. Just not running on all cylinders today!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 29 Oct 2017 at 6:09pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 7:44pm
Ted, folks,
 I think its a good idea about checking the compression. I don't own a compression tester but this might be a good reason to get one? May check with NAPA, they have tool rental.
The old 45 seems to start and run good. Governor opens up quick.
Found the other brake pedal hold back spring. It was laying on the parts tractor. Still gleaning parts from it.
I may have the right brake dragging and I see lots of oil/ grease on the left final drive.
 Also hear some noise from the left final drive when in high. Need to check that out for oil level in lower pan. Worst case is I may have the parts tractor final to repair it.
Doesn't seem to have a problem with any gear jumping.
Greased the front end after tighten up the vertical key, seemed to steer better. still have a flat tire on the front. Would be nice to have factory power steering! Folks with or without power steering can comment.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 29 Oct 2017 at 7:49pm
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 7:55pm
Open up the air cleaner and check the wire mesh.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by DougS DougS wrote:

Open up the air cleaner and check the wire mesh.

Doug,
 Good point! I had to take the WD air cleaners apart and remove the mesh and clean it too. They we packed with dirt and debris. The cup on this one looks like it was soldered up on the side? Have to get that off and check it out. Although about every part needs something!
Regards,
 Chris
AC puller View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 9:21pm
You'll have to get her ready for wolfs corners next year.
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 9:32pm
Congratulations Sugarmaker, sounds like you did alright. I can't believe that other one brought $3400. I bet it has its share of problems too. I can't see that big of a difference in them. I like to know what those tractors would have sold for around here.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by AC puller AC puller wrote:

You'll have to get her ready for wolfs corners next year.

Dave,
 How are things in Marble?
That Wolfs Corners pull is for you big boys! I fit better in the old antique pulls! Did have fun there last July though. I am just not into it very deep yet and may never be. We will see! The 45 may not be ready for pulling yet? It is going to have winter snow plowing duties for now. Then needs some attention.
I am beginning to get to know it and it has some issues lurking. I think the tractor I sold was a much better mechanical tractor than this one. That's what happens in horse tradin. Some are better than others.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 29 Oct 2017 at 11:09pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Ranse Ranse wrote:

Congratulations Sugarmaker, sounds like you did alright. I can't believe that other one brought $3400. I bet it has its share of problems too. I can't see that big of a difference in them. I like to know what those tractors would have sold for around here.

Ranse,
 Thanks! The 45 wide front was way over bid (in my opinion) by a young fellow that wanted it and a older guy that wanted it too and wasn't going to let the young guy get it cheap. Probably was a $1800-$2000 tractor with the Charlin and the three point, and wide front. Was pretty straight but the battery box was still gone, No lights. wrong seat, grill cut for alt...
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 29 Oct 2017 at 11:05pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 11:12pm
Folks,
 So I hear this noise from the left final in road gear. May be low on oil? Not sure. Question is the finals the same on a WD as a 45? I assume they are but asking to get some feed back. Not going to tear into it soon but would be good to know if my parts tractor could be used for spares?
Regards,
 Chris
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 11:13pm

Originally posted by Ranse Ranse wrote:

Ranse,
 The 45 wide front was way over bid (in my opinion) by a young fellow that wanted it and a older guy that wanted it too and wasn't going to let the other guy get it cheap. Probably was a $1800-$2000 tractor with the Charlin and the three point, and wide front. Was pretty straight but the battery box was still gone, No lights. wrong seat....grill cut for alt...
Regards,
 Chris

I went to an auction back in 2001 or 2002 in Michigan.  Guy had a really nice 1100 hour 185, a Series IV D17 gas and the cleanest WD45 I have ever seen.  The WD45 was a working tractor not a show queen but very much original, battery box was complete.  It had a wide front and Char-Lynn power steering.  It also had a Char-Lynn crankshaft driven hydraulic pump, He used it to power his log splitter.  There was a large Char-Lynn hydraulic reservoir on one side of the tractor, never seen that setup before.  That tractor sold right in the $3300 ball park of the one you seen sell.  He also had a very nice Allis Chalmers Snap Coupler grader blade with extensions.  That was probably the most memorable auction I have been to as the stuff was Allis Chalmers and very nice.
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 11:16pm

Folks,
 So I hear this noise from the left final in road gear. May be low on oil? Not sure. Question is the finals the same on a WD as a 45? I assume they are but asking to get some feed back. Not going to tear into it soon but would be good to know if my parts tractor could be used for spares?
Regards,
 Chris

I remember when My Dad and I hauled His 45 home from Ohio back in 1995 we kept wondering why the rear tires were worn so funny.  When He got it together there was a bad bearing and axle in the tractor, found parts in a junk yard to fix.  Good luck, at least these tractors aren't too bad to work on.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 11:43pm
Harbor Freight has a pretty nice looking compression tester kit for $25, others for less.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 1:09am
Thanks guys!
Really in today's world $3400 is the price of a throw away lawn mower. So really these tractors are probably way under valued!:)

Good story on the tractor. Fearing the worst I may have a bearing issue in this 45 rear end too! At min the seals are bad somewhere and its out of oil, which may not be a good thing either.

John,
 Thanks for the HF tip of the day. I will look into that unit. Price sounds right.
So what are good cylinder compression numbers for a 45?
Regards,
 Chris
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 6:53am
I think you made a good trade and a good story. Nice that the other guy got your WD and is happy with it.

Other than that front grill it actually doesn't look crusty at all!
That 3-point looks just like the one that my 45 came with. It always worked good and was strong. It's off now for all my snap coupler implements.

It'll be fun to see how it compares plowing and such to your D17 and WD's.

I think an original WD45 at 6.5:1 compression was about 130 PSI.
The 7.25 D17 piston was 150PSI.

Good luck and keep us updated. I think the tractor work will be the easy part. Tougher part will be showing us those darned photos!
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 7:32am
You did good Chris!  IMHO anything over 90psi is good as long as they are all close to each other and it starts easily.Thumbs Up
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 7:56am
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

I think you made a good trade and a good story. Nice that the other guy got your WD and is happy with it.

Other than that front grill it actually doesn't look crusty at all!
That 3-point looks just like the one that my 45 came with. It always worked good and was strong. It's off now for all my snap coupler implements.

It'll be fun to see how it compares plowing and such to your D17 and WD's.

I think an original WD45 at 6.5:1 compression was about 130 PSI.
The 7.25 D17 piston was 150PSI.

Good luck and keep us updated. I think the tractor work will be the easy part. Tougher part will be showing us those darned photos!

Dave,
Thanks for the positive comments! Thanks for the WD45 compression numbers too. How is that rebuilt 45 (17!) engine running for you? If I was to build one I would follow your thread. Of course it might be without pictures.:( This picture thing is not good! I have 4000 pictures on photobucket being held hostage at some point. I am having a hard time even loading Allis photos to the photobucket system. Only about 5 of 25 loaded!
I would like to try the three bottoms on this tractor too. My back is messed up so that's going to have to wait!

Thanks for the comments on the 3 pt. I though it looked solid. Way better that the Jerry rigged system on the one that went down the road. Do you have side (anti sway) chains on yours? I would like to keep the brush hog or back blade stable and near center.
Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 30 Oct 2017 at 8:04am
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 8:05am
Yep, Harbor Freight has them and you can get them online.  i believe that they still ONLY charge $5 for shipping.  No matter HOW much stuff you get from them.
I had forgotten about the air cleaner.  When I bought my WD45, it was completely plugged!  No wonder there wasn't an air hose going from the cleaner to the carb.  Those lazy guys would rather take off the hose than clean out the air cleaner.  It's a job!!  I put NEW mesh in mine and cleaned the old stuff and am keeping it for ???  WHY do I keep all them old parts.

Chris, thanks for the support on the POSSIBLE server and software for doing our own pics on here.  I've changed the title of the thread, hoping that others will see it and read and support such an idea.  It would make our lives a LOT easier!

Have a GREAT day!!
"Allis-Express"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 8:06am
Originally posted by Stan IL&TN Stan IL&TN wrote:

You did good Chris!  IMHO anything over 90psi is good as long as they are all close to each other and it starts easily.Thumbs Up

Stan,
Thanks! For the compression info!
Regards,
 Chris
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 8:10am
I forgot to mention, that 3 point looks like an A-C factory one.  That's worth at least $300 right there.
These were regaled as the 4 bottom plow tractor, and when I pull my 3-16 I don't even know that it's behind me.  You'll LOVE it!!
Can't help with the bearings etc. form the WD, I'd suggest you drop a line to Don(MO), he'd more than likely know.  Or take the time to go through the AGCO book and compare the numbers...??
"Allis-Express"
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 9:19am
Sorry to hear about the back problems! Not good for a WD45 ride.

I forgot about the air cleaners comments. My WD45 mesh was soldered in too. I swished it with gas over and over and over and OVER to clean it out before painting. Never did take it apart. I got a new carb to air cleaner hose form Steiners.

This is what my 3 point was. That big bracket in the middle with the 3 tabs on the left and right. Some how the lift arms would hit on the sides and sway control. I took it off and painted it in 2009 and never put it back on. SO I don't exactly remember how it all went now.

My 45's running great. I pulled with it the July 4th and did poorly. Then did better after adjusting the draw bar and tire pressure a little more. Motor never even slowed down at all in 1st. Flagger mumbled to himself, "That thing sounds like a sewing machine"

The pictures are frustrating. I need to redo some of mine, but haven't had/made the time.

Great to hear from you!

Edited by Allis dave - 30 Oct 2017 at 9:25am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 12:19pm
Dave, Folks,
 These Allis' and pulls are another story too. I see a lot of other tractors with good engines and 38 inch rubber pull a lot farther than the Allis tractors. I am usually near the center of 14-18 tractors in the 5500 lb class with the D17. My old WD's were not competitive at all and usually near the back of the pack. Very hard tires didn't help!
Going out to take the front left off and get the rims to the tire shop for de-mounting. Then I can maybe repair the rims and get tires remounted before winter. Also need to drain rad and get antifreeze in it. Supposed to snow tonight.
Pull the wife's car out and put the 45 in the garage. She will love that!:)
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 6:46pm
Folks getting a list of needs for the 45.
I have to find a new air cleaner cup. mine is patched several places and is too bad to fix.
Who ever mentioned about checking the air cleaner mesh was on the mark Its a disaster! Probably why the carb to air box hose was gone. Its so plugged with watery looking oil, not sure the tractor would have run well at all.
The drain in the bottom of the rad was plastic screw. Replaced that with a correct brass pet cock.
the hole where the temp gauge goes had a steel plug in it. I welded a washer on that, then a 1/2 inch nut. this provided the heat to break this free without damage to the radiator neck inlet. Will order a temp gauge.
Drained the radiator and block. installed a gallon of antifreeze plus a gallon + of water to get near a 50-50 mix.
Realized that the tapered screw in the crank pulley is broke off in there! So that will not be fixed unless the engine is tore down;.
Added the brake pedal spring for the right side. Need to find correct brake spring for the left pedal.
Got both front rims off and took to shop and de-mounted. Rims are rusty and need the holes welded up and also straightened too.
So on we go.
A couple pictures using the green tree method of loading.

Edited by Sugarmaker - 30 Oct 2017 at 6:52pm
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 6:50pm
I haven't looked in a long time but you used to be able to buy front rims from some of the after market suppliers very reasonable and then they are not patched.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 6:57pm
Claus,
 Yes I checked with local tractor parts shop. New front rims are $75 each. Rear 28 inch and 14 wide are $400 ish. So I could put $2000 into rims and tires. But I will probably patch these up and make them go a little longer. Just never will get all the money back on those Not that I would not like to have them. I dont like working (repairing) on these rusty rims.
Regards,
 Chris
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 7:01pm
Everything adds up, I know how that goes!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 8:11pm
Folks,
 So as we continue the story of the WD45:
I took the front rims to the blaster at 11:30. They called at 2:30 and said they were done so I picked them up $20 to blast them saved me hours of sanding and grinding. Will get them in primer due to our rainy weather and then work on patching the holes, and pounding out the bent edges. I have two tires that are acceptable/presentable, and will get those mounted with new tubes.
Put my order in to Sandy Lake for parts needed for now. None of the parts are urgent, and they may have to see if they have some used parts like the oil bath cup and the spring for the brake pedal return. I want to do a belt pulley delete cup. Do I need to pull the frame rail and install a new gasket? I had the other two tractors apart when I did the pulley delete.
Pictures? I will try to get some and load direct using tree in header. Thanks to Kenny L for showing me some tricks and things about using that feature. Picture count will be limited to like 160, then old ones will have to be removed. Maybe that's OK since old threads rarely pop back up?
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 8:48pm
Folks,
The blasted and painted front rims:
Wanted to get some primer on them even though they need repairs around the valve stem holes. I will probably relocate the valve stem hole and then weld in patches.

Regards,
 Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 45>
  Share Topic