This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD 45 next? YES!!!
    Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 10:34am
Folks,
Gary called me and told me about a WD45 going at auction down south.
 I took a drive yesterday and looked it over. Pretty good shape. Thinking of maybe letting my narrow front WD go at auction and picking up this 45. You never know till its over how you might come out on one of these deals. Folks do or don't like the tractor you brought and don't pay much and the one you want goes sky high for some reason! That would be my luck.
My WD has some issues too. One rear rim is bad. Rear tires are old and cracked. All exterior is pretty rust covered. Tried to start it last night. lots of gas no spark. If I can get it running it just may go down the road.
I will let you know how this comes out. I would like to get 800 out of it but with its issues and being a WD that may be the upper limit around here. The WD45 on the other hand has better rims, still has older tires on rear too. Most of the sheet metal was pretty good.
Oil pressure was good, Shifted through all gears ok. Was balking and stalling a lot. 12 volt alt conversion. Batt box mostly gone. Wiring old. had 6 v coil with ballast resistor.
Started up ok but again stalled under load often. Brakes worked good. Hand clutch and foot clutch worked ok.
My guess its a 1200 $ tractor maybe more? Wide front 3 bolt with Charlin power steering added. It seemed to work good. Also has a three point hitch which would work good for brush hogging or back blade snow removal.
So this is just some words. I need to get out and look at my old WD and decide if I want to do some horse trading.
Any suggestions/advice welcome.
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 29 Dec 2018 at 3:43pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 11:25am
sounds like a move up.What ya got to lose?
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 11:45am
That's not one of your family WD's is it?
Seems like I remember another troublesome one that was over at your daughter's.

Sounds like the 45 has some issues too, but the 3-points are about $400 if you buy one. Charlynn setup would probably sell for $400 too.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 2:53pm
Thanks guys,
 No its not a family tractor that would go down the road. Its  the one that I put together from another parts tractor. It has been setting outside for several years at my daughters.  I did get it running today and its setting on the trailer not chained down. Thought I better come and check the Allis forum for any words of wisdom. You never know when you buy any old used equipment. I am pretty sure that its going to not be a even money exchange. But moving up to a 45 would be nice too. 3 pt and power steering would be pluses. And your probably right on the prices of those two items.
Ready to go chain her down and hit the auction blocks. As mentioned not to much to lose here either.  Its only tractors and money!
I will let you know. Maybe even pictures?!:)
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 3:05pm
You might be disappointed at what your WD sells for vs what the WD45 will cost you. Go ahead if you really want the 45.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 3:08pm
Sorry I just missed you Chris.  Yep, it's worth the move up.  Especially the PS.  I've got too much S/C stuff, so the 3-point doesn't interest me.  One of mine had a homemade 3-point on it when I got it, so I took it off.
Biggest thing is the tranny popping out and a smoking engine, but you already know that.
You'll be glad you pulled the trigger after you get it home.
I consider it twice the tractor and probably the best one Allis ever made.  Kind of a toss up between the D-17 and the 45.  Not much to go wrong and you already know how to tear into everything, it's just like the WD, only stronger and louder.
You'll LOVE IT!
I wonder if you can take the Char-Lynn off'n it and put it on the D-17 of yours?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 3:24pm
Do it!  Do it!  Do it! Wide front.  Power steering.  Little more power.  Do it!!!Thumbs Up
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 5:39pm
Folks,
Well we are proceeding the auction route for the Old WD that I am not to attached too. I have some money in it and some sweat equity too. So my best outcome would be to break even on it. I set a reserve on it at $800. It may not get there? We will see.
Headed to auction:

and new to me F250:

Also some pictures of the 45 that will be going home with someone Sat.

Maybe those Adjusters will open and the wheels can slide in? Too wide for my trailer: minor details!

crunched:

typical non existent portions of the battery box. Note no lights!

12 volt conversion

wide front seems tight

added push bar hitch

random under belly shots:

sheet metal and tank seem ok

Quadrant broken and some wear:

Power steering? I am not a good judge (FYI Ted I have PS on the D17, very nice BTW!)

Stay tuned: Your mileage may vary! Guess I am going to a auction Saturday, Not sure if we will be selling, buying or just having a hot dog!
 Regards,
 Chris

DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 6:29pm
Note the extra holes in the fenders. They may have redrilled and moved the fenders. Good-looking tractor otherwise.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 6:46pm
Doug,
 Not sure about the extra holes in the fenders? My guess is they may have been for a sun shade or something???
There are at least 5 Allis-Chalmers at this auction. They seem to be pilling up in the area?:)
Couple WC's, my WD, a D12, and the 45!
Regards,
 Chris
ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 9:42pm
that's a solid looking wd45.I think I would go for it.nothing like a little peer presure...lol... ya got a beautiful f/250 there too,love those burgundy colors.they are my favorite.
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 10:25pm
Interesting story.  I've been down your same road before so I can relate to it very well.  I too sold a WD and came back with a D-15.  So happy it happened.  Based on your pictures and story, the WD-45 would be a good step forward  for you.  Keep us posted on what all happened.............
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by ac45dave ac45dave wrote:

that's a solid looking wd45.I think I would go for it.nothing like a little peer presure...lol... ya got a beautiful f/250 there too,love those burgundy colors.they are my favorite.

Dave,
Thanks! I knew there wouldn't be to many folks discouraging me on a new tractor. That's just the way we roll on here! Egging each other on with realistic recommendations and comments. If I could bring the 45 home for under $1500 I think I would be doing pretty good. Just never know at a auction. This is a little different for me I usually just buy em, not much of a seller! But I don't really need to add to the herd, and the 45 might make a better tractor on my daughters farm, for brush hogging and for snow plowing too.
We had two 45's on the farm They, along with a WD and a B did all the big work on 200 acres for 15 years! Many hours on them as a kid, either turning dirt or hay or traveling between the two farms 5 miles apart. Not sure how they ran as good or as long as they did with minimal maintenance on them?
One was a 55 without power steering. The other, a 56 had factory power steering which was always sweet to drive!

Thanks for the comments on the truck! That new to me Ford has me pretty spoiled already too! A 2015 F250, PSD Lariate Ultimate package. 6.7 Diesel just pulls awesome, compared to the old 5.4 gas in the 2009. Color is Ruby Red with Caribou lower accent, and black interior.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 12:00am
Originally posted by EPALLIS EPALLIS wrote:

Interesting story.  I've been down your same road before so I can relate to it very well.  I too sold a WD and came back with a D-15.  So happy it happened.  Based on your pictures and story, the WD-45 would be a good step forward  for you.  Keep us posted on what all happened.............

EP,
I know that I like the D17 I picked up at this same auction a year ago. The D15 would be a awesome tractor to have too. Seem to be just the right size, and have a lot more features and creature comforts than the WD series. Looking for something positive to come out of this adventure too. I had bought the WD as a parts tractor, then got it running with a engine transplant from a very broken WD.

(Back issues are keeping me up about half the night so I get to check in more often!)

Hope things are good out there in ORANGE land!

Regards,
 Chris

Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 7:38am
It does look like a pretty nice WD. Looks like maybe some of the sheet metal was repainted. The power steering would be nice. Sometimes I wish mine at it. Then when after pulling the motor several times, I was glad I didn't have to mess with that too. SO go figure.

Good luck and hope it all works out.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 9:02am
Dave,
Yea looks like the 45 was cleaned up and painted maybe 15-20 years ago. Has wrong decals on the hood.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 6:07pm
The answer to the question in the title is Yes! But the story is interesting!
Arrived at the sale at 8:30 this morning. Did a ton of visiting. Almost missed when they were ready to sell the WD45 Wide front. i bulled my way to the front and had the chance to have the first bid of $1000. That was the last time I nodded. A young guy wanted it for his Dad and another guy wanted one just because. They ended the bidding at $3400!!!
Yes $3400! I was a little shocked! It sure wasnt coming home on my trailer!
So I walked up the line and took a look at the other tractors. Next Allis was ready to sell I took a quick look at it, which I had not looked at prior. Humm curved shifter, solid block, correct oil filler lid, big carb, narrow front end, solid 3 point hitch! Bothe front tires wer flat and it had a big plastic tub attached to the left side. Pretty ugly. Tractor started right up.
bidding started. So I said to myself, self if you want a WD45 this could be the one.
Went to $850 and I owned it!
WC next door did not sell.
A little later my WD came up on the block. They got to 600 stumbled and then moved to $750. I nodded to let it go. The new owner was the same guy I was bidding against on the 45 narrow front end. he was happy. I was happy. So I bought a WD45 for $100 plus tax above what my WD brought. I was happy.
Pictures coming: Its rough, farm fresh. Has all the normal issues. Mismatched rear tires but are in way better shape then the ones on the WD. some rim rot, but not as bad as the blown out rim on the WD.

I now own a 45! Cross that off the bucket list!

Regards,
 Chris
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 6:49pm
Like I said on the phone you did good.
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 7:39pm
Chris,
Congratulations!  I must say, I sure like your tow rig!  Nice truck!!  Is that the 6.7 diesel?  I have a superduty also, but it's a gasser.  I even like the color of your truck.
Good luck with the new project. 
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 9:31pm
Nice work, sometimes auctions don't work out that good for a guy, no matter if you are buying or selling!

Keep us posted, I'm sure it will look as nice as your WD's in no time!
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Hubnut Hubnut wrote:

Chris,
Congratulations!  I must say, I sure like your tow rig!  Nice truck!!  Is that the 6.7 diesel?  I have a superduty also, but it's a gasser.  I even like the color of your truck.
Good luck with the new project. 
Steve

Steve,
Thanks! When are you going to look at that C with wide front?
As for the comments on the truck. Its working pretty good so far! Yea its a 6.7 diesel, lots of ponies for this old man! My mid life crisis truck! First used Ford truck in 40+ years. I couldn't justify the new prices. This truck had a original window sticker of $65K.
3 years old with a trade in, it was about half of that. Much more tolerable for Cheryl to make the payments!:) Its from this area and had 100K miles on it.I am still playing with that new toy too. Just bought a set of used rims and tires for the winter. Did the paraffin undercoating, lineX bedliner, Timbren over load bumpers, window and bug guard bling.
Back to orange.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Don(MO) Don(MO) wrote:

Like I said on the phone you did good.

Don ,
Seems your one of the first ones I call on these types of things! You provide a lot of support and wisdom on these old tractors! I always look forward to chatting with you about Allis details.

Some pictures:
Just getting home with the new toy.

Picture removed by me.
Lots of areas for improvement on this old girl. Very similar condition to the one I sold in a lot of ways.
Picture removed by me.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 29 Oct 2017 at 9:16am
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 11:42pm
Sugarmaker, I think you did great!  A new tractor for a bit over $100, lots of excitement at the auction, and a new project!  Hard to beat.  Congratulations!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 3:02am
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

Sugarmaker, I think you did great!  A new tractor for a bit over $100, lots of excitement at the auction, and a new project!  Hard to beat.  Congratulations!

John,
Thanks. Will get some pictures up when my computer and photobucket are working together again. Just a crusty old 45. Will fit right in with the herd!
It needs cleaned up and fluids changed. I see it has the infamous rear main seal leak, along with hydraulic cylinders dripping too.
Well this actually worked out OK, like you say new toy to play with. side note the wheels are adjusted in so that it went right on the trailer!:)
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 3:05am
Folks,
 Forgot to mention I did get the serial number off it. 198817. Haven't looked foe the build year yet.
(Update) I checked and it looks to be a late 54 unit!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 29 Oct 2017 at 8:41am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 8:39am
Well I just cant seem to be able to load any photos from my computer to Photobucket. They all crash about 90% through the loading??
We will see? Starting to really aggravate me!
I need to get some antifreeze for the 45. i opened the petcock on the block and it looked more like muddy water than anything green. Need a new temp gauge too as there is just a plug in the current spot. Will order some parts from Sandy Lake next week. Need the air cleaner to carb hose too.
The chain from the snap coupler release is gone, and the brake return springs ar both gone. I have one spring on the old WD carcuss, will have to find the one for the left brake hold back. Must have stole it for one of the resto's. Also need the big set screw for the front pulley to crank. Yea its missing. its a wonder its not spinning on there!!
I may have one of those from the spare engine? So its a typical project tractor. I guess I am over the fact that I let a tractor go down the road.
Regards,
 Chris
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 10:00am
Your new 45 sounds like a nice project.  Reminds me of my Dad's before He sold it.  nothing special (gas, narrow front, no power steering) but He fixed about everything mechanical and installed a Gleaner E engine.  Good luck.

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 12:12pm
Glad you got to cross something off of your bucket list Chris!
It's a good feeling when things come together and you get something you want for little or nothing.
Now the FUN starts!!  Fixing things that need it and then fixing it up the way YOU WANT IT.
Before I'd do much though, I'd give it a compression test.  That'll tell you how deep you've gotta go with it.
Good luck and Big smile
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 4:01pm
That didnt work! Guess I will have to try Flickr??

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4453/37313259504_ecfaec1182_m.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4478/26246431629_b3ae77ed97_m.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4500/24170584268_d1eff94880_m.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4470/26246432519_fb97c5d010_m.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4482/24170585188_7b2c6e4bf6_m.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4455/26246433419_a0376145b6_m.jpg

Power washed
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4492/26246438799_224f7f5930_m.jpg

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 29 Oct 2017 at 4:21pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 4:22pm
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4492/26246438799_224f7f5930_m.jpg

That really did not work good either!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 29 Oct 2017 at 4:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 45>
  Share Topic