This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 45>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 11:29am
GG,
 Not a problem! Love to see that fresh PO#1 on your tractor! He did a nice job of prepping and finish!
Save that rim for a while. You might need it to patch a rusty rim? New ones are the way to go, I was always too cheap. 
Sure is going to look sharp!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 10:29am
Not to hijack your thread again Chris, but here's a small update on my rebuild... First off, here's my old rims, they were shot worse than I expected. The new rims look fantastic though.

Anyway, snuck by my cousin's paint booth yesterday to drop off some more parts and the new wiring harness, and it is looking very orange!

Pretty happy with how the color of AGCO PO#1 looks. I thought it looked like a solid match for the orange you painted your tractor, though I can't remember what paint you used.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 12:35pm
Chris -- Nope, not me. My cousin has a sprayer and a paint booth set up, so letting him handle all of that.

Wish I could help more on the plow. The old 3 bottom snap coupler I have, I have it set how grandpa left it, and it still seems to plow okay. I never change it (you're supposed to do something to open a field up I recall), but it still plows okay. I keep thinking I should get the rear wheel up on an 8" block to see how it sits in the furrow.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 8:09am
Mike,
Thanks! Being lazy, I havent looked for the book, but I did have one of the tractors up on blocks on the left when I set the plows the first time. Several years ago. And It did plow pretty good with the D17. Might need to go through that  set up again too.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 7:27am
Chris, the plow looks like it is ready to open the field. On following passes it needs to be 'winged-up', high on the right side so that it is level when tire is in the furrow.

I just did the preliminary adjustments on my 73. Drove the tractor up on about 8" worth of blocks to get it level. Takes about 15 turns on the left link to let it back down to level on flat ground.

The plow books give good directions on setting things up. The one for the 63 was hard to find though. Books for the 53 have basically the same leveling instructions and are easier to come by.

Edited by IBWD MIke - 17 Apr 2021 at 7:28am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 7:53pm
Folks,
 So I have plows on the 45 and plowed the garden. Had some issues and parked it in the shop. Friend Gary came over and as we ere looking at he noted the jamb nut on the left side of the beam was out of adjustment. Now maybe I didnt have this tight? have only plowed maybe 15 acres total since I refurbed the old plow. Anyway it was loose. So I tightened that up and it straightened the plow up with the tractor. Adjusted the coulters a little. Need to see if I have a plow book on this one. 

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 7:47pm
GG,
 You shooting the paint? Wear good, safe, painting gear!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 4:34pm
Thanks Chris!

None of it was cheap, haha, but hoping she looks good when done!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 12:11pm
GG,
Great looking line up of paints.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 10:27am
Just for reference, here is the paint I picked up... Kind of a sting to the wallet, but fingers crossed it works good.

AGCO Persian Orange #1 Quart:

AGCO Persian Orange #1 Spray:

Case IH silver argent quart for the rims:

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

GG,
 Tell me about it! The shop thing? Well I vote for you to build one! Many folks on here will help you get through that too. If the wallet will hold up!:)
You are doing the right things on the tractor. Fix what you can the best you can. You wont regret getting a new coat of paint on it too! I had a feeling you were going there! Dont forget a new set of decals! The rim work will be good for a long time! You loading the rears?
Regards,
 Chris

I do have a shop on my bucket list for sure. Wallet not quite ready to tackle that one yet though haha. Oh yes, got myself a new set of the vinyl decals. Figured if I was going to spend the money, I should get the good stuff.

I will eventually load the rears but plan to get both tractors rear rims fixed up before I do that (hoping I can get someone to come out and do it on location for 4 tires at that point). Will probably go with beet juice.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 9:38pm
GG,
 Tell me about it! The shop thing? Well I vote for you to build one! Many folks on here will help you get through that too. If the wallet will hold up!:)
You are doing the right things on the tractor. Fix what you can the best you can. You wont regret getting a new coat of paint on it too! I had a feeling you were going there! Dont forget a new set of decals! The rim work will be good for a long time! You loading the rears?
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 9:06pm

GG,
 Hey that looks like a nice shop! Are those big sliding doors with the insulation on them??
The jack stands look very secure and correct for that project! Well supported!
 You have your tractor in a really good position to spend some quality time with it, and your potentially lighter wallet, if you want to make the next moves to tidy up all the components, and proceed to put some primer and PO#1 on the old girl! Now is the time. But it does take time also. May not want to tie up his shop?? You plan to do any engine/ drive line work too?
 Regards,
 Chris

Thanks Chris! Yeah, he's got his shop insulated for working in the nasty cold winters like we just had. Definitely jealous of that and all the concrete there, wish I had a solid floor like that in my little shed!

I am working on borrowed time I think (as planting season and other stuff will soon be upon us), but I've got a bunch of odds and ends that are being replaced or repaired. The waterpump is relatively new, and so are the brakes, so fortunately that is good to go. I redid the brake/clutch pedals with sleeves and a new pivot bar, I just did new front hubs and bearings last year, got new rubber for the fronts, and we got her cleaned up real good and now she's also getting all new gauges, a new thermostat, new wiring harness (the old one was in a bad way), a new Nelson muffler, some other electrical parts, a new battery box, a repaired radiator, repaired rear rims, all sorts of gaskets and such, and I am in the middle of rebuilding the Knoedler seat... My wallet is *definitely* lighter, lol.

And with her all stripped down I told him to go ahead and prep it and spray some paint on her. I got him 4 quarts of PO#1 from AGCO and he got primer, so we'll see how she looks here in the coming weeks! Going to pick up some Silver Argent from the local CASE IH dealer for the rims, I think.

I don't have any engine/drive line work planned actually, but this tractor has been okay in that department for the 10 years I've had it. I'm basically trying to make the most out of the time I've got left for having it in his shop without being in his way Big smile . The big issue I had was the rear rims were about ready to blow out, so that was the reason it went over in December. But since we both had a little time, it expanded to what you see now. Funny how a focused project can balloon so quickly, haha.

Edited by garden_guy - 01 Apr 2021 at 9:10pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 8:51pm
GG,
 Hey that looks like a nice shop! Are those big sliding doors with the insulation on them??
The jack stands look very secure and correct for that project! Well supported!
 You have your tractor in a really good position to spend some quality time with it, and your potentially lighter wallet, if you want to make the next moves to tidy up all the components, and proceed to put some primer and PO#1 on the old girl! Now is the time. But it does take time also. May not want to tie up his shop?? You plan to do any engine/ drive line work too?
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 31 Mar 2021 at 8:55pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 8:22pm
Well sugarmaker, I haven't gone down that road yet, but she's at my cousin's shop and he has her torn down pretty good for the rear wheel repair and to scope out a radiator repair:

Replacing the thermostat and a bunch of other odds and ends at the moment as well. Right now I am working on rebuilding the seat while he's doing all the hard work!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by garden_guy garden_guy wrote:

Just stopped back by to look at the pictures on page 9 and 10 of the rework of the pedestal... I really need to check that and the steering on both my WDs one of these days, but not until I have a real shop with a concrete floor and some more tools. Or learn how to weld, lol.

Anything I can do if I pull the 4 bolt top cover off the pedestal and look down at the worm gear? Or does everything get taken out the bottom to work on anyway?

GG ,
You wont hurt any thing by pulling that top lid. Starts to get you familiar with the workings. Best to safely jack up the front end so you can see if anything is loose/ worn out.
Regards,
 Chris
Catalinacrasher View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catalinacrasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 11:45am
I just needed up the 3 bolt front end on mine might think about doing it to your wd45, I incorporated the original pivot plate on mine, just stacked, yours I would weld to use that pushbar
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 9:55am
Just stopped back by to look at the pictures on page 9 and 10 of the rework of the pedestal... I really need to check that and the steering on both my WDs one of these days, but not until I have a real shop with a concrete floor and some more tools. Or learn how to weld, lol.

Anything I can do if I pull the 4 bolt top cover off the pedestal and look down at the worm gear? Or does everything get taken out the bottom to work on anyway?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 1:25am
GG,
 Yes the steering knuckle needs to be disconnected, if your going to pull that out, And of course both frame rails have to be loose. The bolts holding the frame rails to the pedestal can be a problem and sometimes break off. be gentle with them.
I would try to service the front with out taking it off first. You can do the lower bearing and seal work, and shaft repairs,  with out taking the pedestal out. Another difficult item is the dowel pins that holds the spring loaded cranking shaft in place.
Once that shaft is out I use a long bar to roll the pedestal away from the tractor. Or I have used the cherry picker to lift and move the pedestal. Its heavy and awkward.
If you think you need to do bearing work on the steering shaft end then yes, probably better to take the pedestal out.
 Good luck and be careful!
 Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 10:12pm

GG.
 I have a pair of steel saw horses that are very stout. Only need a couple blocks of wood to get the wheels off the ground. Yea you need a good safe support and good to block the rear wheels from moving too!
Good luck, these can get worn in all the correct areas!
Regards,
 Chris

Thanks Chris! Debating how badly I want to try and tackle this, and how much talent I have to do it... Also, it sounds like I may need a helper or two to actually pull the pedestal out the front and make sure we handle it properly down to the ground. Once you unbolt the pedestal, I assume there's some steering linkage that needs undone so it can slide forward?

Edited by garden_guy - 27 Jul 2020 at 10:12pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 5:39am
GG.
 I have a pair of steel saw horses that are very stout. Only need a couple blocks of wood to get the wheels off the ground. Yea you need a good safe support and good to block the rear wheels from moving too!
Good luck, these can get worn in all the correct areas!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 10:25pm
Can even tell on my old WD without TB, if you set the hydraulic system up right and raise the lever a little, and traction comes back and away you go.

Also, side note... Chris, when you take the front pedestal off, how did you block it up? I can tell both my WDs have loose steering and wobble, and I am sure it's in the front pedestal, so I am tempted to try and rebuild them one of these days. But also concerned at what to do with all that weight when you "unbolt" the pedestal from the front.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:26am
Sugarmaker hit the nail on the head. You can 'feel' the TB working without looking at the gauge. Kind of neat when it does work though. First time I used the traction booster,(on purpose) it blew me away what a difference it makes! Tractor got to spinning while plowing some tough ground, raised the lever a little, man that thing hooked up, swear it set me back in the seat!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 8:16am
GG, Folks,
They are really only a indicator of what the hydraulics are doing. My thoughts it was more of a sales gimick than of any real value? Maybe others will chime in? Yes I believe the 45's were the first to get these maybe in the 1954 time frame???
Regards,
Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 9:33pm
That WD-45 I worked on for my cousin had a traction booster gauge on it, but I never followed back the hose to see where it ran to. My WDs don't have traction booster gauges on them. Kind of curious to see one in action.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 7:52pm
Thanks Guys!
 I wasnt going to do this and then thought about the details a lot of you guys do on your tractors. Bite the bullet and ordered it! Its only money!
Beautiful day temps in the mid to high 70's. Trimmed all the shrubs, weed whacked, and then mowed the yard.
Me and the wife celebrate this day with a couple hotdogs. Our first date was 51 years ago. That was what she brought me for supper at the drive in movies!
Regards,
 Chris
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 7:26am
Looks good Chris! You did an awesome job on that old 45.

While out plowing at our local show last summer my TB gauge started working. I believe I bought it on E-bay, used, put it on mostly for looks. A new one would look better!
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 8:38pm
The gauge looks great! I don't think I've ever operated a tractor with one... I can't remember if my stuck WD-45 has one or not. I'll have to check next time I visit my folks.

I was surprised how cheap the shifter boot was through my local dealer. You sure don't want to let any water in there!
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 10:33am
Folks,
 As I bring up this old thread for a update, the work on the shift tower, although maybe crude by many standards, sure seems to be working! The old 45 shifts smooth and crisp!

I finally ordered a new Traction booster unit from Sandy Lake. along with D17 shift boot and new knobs for the Allis wide front throttle and hydraulic levers.

This is the old gage:

Yea looked pretty bad and did not function. I put it on just to have things hooked up.

New TB gage installed:

And it works!

This may be the last piece of the big 3D Allis puzzle!

Recent picture of the 45 resting:

Thanks for checking in on me! Mark is just about here to pick up the 12 inch spin out rim for his WD45. We may even talk tractors in the rain!
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 11:12am
Guys,
 Yes it could always be worse. I talked to Bill at Sandy Lake and he advised me that most of the worn are repairable by welding, grinding and filing. He did mention that they even weld the bottom are of the tower where the ball has worn it too deep. Then hand work that into a spherical shape to accept the ball of the shift lever. My plan is to try to document this work with some words and pictures. I think I may move this to its own thread, that could be more helpful to others rather than buried in this old thread.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 02 Apr 2020 at 11:54am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 45>
  Share Topic