This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is a "Buda" engine?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is a "Buda" engine?
    Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 9:19pm
Some place along the line by memory failed me ( again) concerning what was a Buda engine... I have seen this engine mentioned quite a few times before on this forum.

Thanks  Rich-MN
Sponsored Links

DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 9:24pm
Yeah, i'm with Rich. Always wanted to know, but was afraid to ask. Was Buda a manufacturer contracted by AC, or is Buda an abbreviation for something made by AC?
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 9:24pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Farrell(Utah) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farrell(Utah) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 9:28pm
Buda was a longtime manufacturer of gas and diesel engines.  AC acquired Buda and installed the 230 diesel in the WD45.  Later, the larger version of the motor was used in the D17 and D19.
A(1937), 2 G, 2 WD45 diesels, 6 WD45 gas, UC, 2 WD, D17 gas, WF, Farmall 400, D12, Kubota B3030
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 9:32pm
OK. So AC bought Buda, kinda like Gleaner. It was a good opportunity. Buda was probably going downhill, judging from some of the dates that they produced engines for other customers. Looks like the depression took a toll on them. AC came in and kept them going for awhile, even though it was under different ownership.
Rich-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 9:34pm
Clint: Thanks...went through the listings and seen where Oliver and Cockshutt had them but did not see any Allis application.. I thought ( my memory againn!!!) that some of the guys on the Allis side of the house said that they had them in their machines...
Rich-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 9:35pm
OK I stand corrected about the Allis question...when I finished up the other posting the answer was spelled out by Mr.Farrell in Utah...
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 9:42pm
THe HD 16 and HD 21 dozers use the 844 cubic inch straight 6 motor. The older guys at the plant called them "Buda".... Also heard that after the war AC was shopping to buy a big diesel manufacturer. GUys use to say they looked at Cummins and Buda... and eventually picked BUda!
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 10:12pm
i knew a gal once that they called "buda"!!! she was...uh....nevermind!!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 12:48am
If you look at the commercial 230 cu. Buda engine, they were ran at 2700 rpm with load at 2400 @ 72hp. Those engines would practically run forever on rock crushers or what have you but the same engine got put in the WD45 and was slowed down to 1650 rpm @ 45hp and they basically were overloaded from the getgo and did not last like the industrials did. (rpms and hp. are from memory ut think that is pretty close to the right numbers)
pineyjd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pineyjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 5:30am
When I was in navy (58-62) we had buda diesel in our lifeboats/whaleboat,shot of ether & they would start right up down in antartic & greenland
Kipn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kipn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 8:59am
I thought that Allis bought Buda because Detroit wouldn't supply them with motors anymore. Hence the difference in the HD6 and HD7, and I think the HD10 and HD11.
I could be wrong.
1961 H3
skipwelte View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipwelte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 10:08am

After AC bought Buda the factory became the Harvey Engine Works.   The 301, 426,731 were all produced at Harvey Factory at Harvey Illinois. I dont know if the remaining 226 and 149s and 160s were produced at Harvey.  HTH

Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 12:51pm

I think it's in Norm Swinford's book that when GM got into the earth moving business, A-C took it as GM being in direct competition with them decided to get their own source of diesel engines. Also, the size of the GM 2 stroke diesels were physically too large to fit into any of A-C's farm tractors of the day. I'd be interested to know if all of A-C's West Allis built gasoline engines got sent to Harvey works too.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic