This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

!@##%^ D17!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: !@##%^ D17!
    Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 6:31pm
So I just had a rebuilt head put on, rebuilt carb, new plugs.  Took it home from SLI and it ran like a top that day.  Parked it in the shed.  Two months later today, I go to start the damn thing wont start--not even a cough. Got spark. Got fuel. Took a couple plugs out. Didn't smell any gasoline.  put a splash of gas in the cylinder.  Not even a cough.  Know I  have spark as could see them coming off the plug. Extremely frustrating evening.
If its not an All-Crop, it all crap!
Sponsored Links

DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 6:35pm
What do you mean by "got gas?" Is there fuel in the carb bowl? Does it run out freely when you open the carb drain? It seems most like your needle valve stuck in the closed position.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 6:45pm
Yes fuel in the bowl, runs out of the drain.
WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 6:46pm
Tom tap the side of the carb with a hammer. When you get the D17 running to shut the tractor off - turn the gas off at the tank and let the gas all burn out of the carb. Also use top grade gas. We run Shell's 92 octane and the engines seemed to run a lot better on it. Good luck
Fred Dunlop, G,B,CA, WC,WF, 3 WD45`s,gas, diesel and LP,U,D10 series III, D12,D14,D15 SERIES II,D17 Series IV in Gas and Diesel ,D19 GAS and D21,170 185,210 ,220 an I-600 8070 fwd, 716H and 1920H
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by WD45 WD45 wrote:

Tom tap the side of the carb with a hammer. When you get the D17 running to shut the tractor off - turn the gas off at the tank and let the gas all burn out of the carb. Also use top grade gas. We run Shell's 92 octane and the engines seemed to run a lot better on it. Good luck

I just put some Shell 87 in..yes will try that.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 7:07pm
Went to the freezer to get some ice cream as "comfort" food...just got it yesterday evening.  Kids ate it allCensored
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 7:15pm

LOL , comfort food..., good thing you didn't have any to feed to that D17... it wouldn't have digested that stuff very good.

Hope ye get it started, not having stuff do what it's s'pose to do when you want it to isn't any fun.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

LOL , comfort food..., good thing you didn't have any to feed to that D17... it wouldn't have digested that stuff very good.

Hope ye get it started, not having stuff do what it's s'pose to do when you want it to isn't any fun.

Ya...this is what I get for getting the tractor fixed well before the real need for it in late October/November....
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 7:43pm
Tom if it has been sitting for a while maybe you should check the air cleaner. It might be that some chickmunks thought your d17 needed acorns for comfort food and now she can't breath. I had one get into my serries 1 oil bath filter housing I don't remember just how now but I found out because he was using the air hose to the carb as a trash bin.

Edited by Dan73 - 19 Oct 2015 at 7:44pm
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Dan73 Dan73 wrote:

Tom if it has been sitting for a while maybe you should check the air cleaner. It might be that some chickmunks thought your d17 needed acorns for comfort food and now she can't breath. I had one get into my serries 1 oil bath filter housing I don't remember just how now but I found out because he was using the air hose to the carb as a trash bin.

Sat for about two month..but how could a chipmunk get in there?????
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 8:17pm
I don't remember what was going on with mine something was probably taken apart it was about 5 years ago. but I just remember having trouble starting it and finding the tube full of acorns this time of year.
corbinstein View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corbinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 6:42am
87 octane (ethanol gas) right?
I refuse to use that stuff in mine, as the ethanol is hydroscopic (attracts moisture)
You end up getting plenty of moisture in your system and that not only degrades your fuel, but rusts everything up.

I buy my fuel at CO-OP, non-ethanol only.
stu(ON) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stu(ON) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 7:25am
Corbinstein, funny you mention that.  I buy hi-test to put in my push lawnmower 'cause I got tired of putting carb kits in it.  Dealer told me alcohol was bad for the diaphragm; says so in the owner's manual.  Haven't rebuilt the carb since.

On the other hand, the WD only gets regular, but I run it at least every two or three weeks and always kill it by shutting the gas off at the sediment bowl.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 8:40am
I have rebuilt 2 TSX464's in the last couple of weeks and have to do my D-17 now also.  I WILL NOT use any other gas in these anymore except ethanol free!!!  Everything inside the bowl was RUSTED!  AARGHHHH!!
Get a carb kit and take a look.  Carb float might be rusted in the open position.  TOOOO much gas for them to run.  Happened to mine
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

I have rebuilt 2 TSX464's in the last couple of weeks and have to do my D-17 now also.  I WILL NOT use any other gas in these anymore except ethanol free!!!  Everything inside the bowl was RUSTED!  AARGHHHH!!
Get a carb kit and take a look.  Carb float might be rusted in the open position.  TOOOO much gas for them to run.  Happened to mine
Carb was just rebuilt. going to do a tap on it, open up the air intake tonight.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 5:50pm
Ok update...

Took off the air intake hose to carb...no issue. Plenty of vacuum. Tapped the carb like Gene Kelly..Tried starting with ether.  Got flames out the carb, smoke out the stack. But no real turning over.  Drained all the gas. Put in Schell Hi-test, no ethanol. Got puffs of smoke, but that's it.  The puffing of smoke tells one its getting gas right? Or could it be not getting enough?  Just wondering if there is a carb problem.

WTH??

Edited by TomYaz - 20 Oct 2015 at 5:51pm
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 5:55pm
Pull the carb. Sounds like the carb is flooding out. My d17 did something like that this summer I had a bit of grass in the seat so the needle was almost closed but not quite. Weird part was that the carb didn't leak fuel but it wouldn't start and run until I got the seat cleaned out.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 5:57pm

Pull the carb. Sounds like the carb is flooding out. My d17 did something like that this summer I had a bit of grass in the seat so the needle was almost closed but not quite. Weird part was that the carb didn't leak fuel but it wouldn't start and run until I got the seat cleaned out.

I'm not too familiar with the workings of a carb.  What part is the "seat"
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 6:01pm
If you take the carb apart and remove the needle and float the seat is where the gas comes in and the needle seals against it. I found a bit of grass wedged in there. Just be careful not to bend the gloat and you will be fine putting it back on the tractor.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by TomYaz TomYaz wrote:

I'm not too familiar with the workings of a carb.  What part is the "seat"

The little brass thing, above the needle valve, above the float...
WestAllisWD45 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestAllisWD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 6:05pm
Is it remotely possible someone is playing a joke on you and changed the plug wires around?     Just things I've seen with kids and a WD45  Confused
Condenser or points not getting you a good enough fire?   You get spark for a couple hits, but not enough to keep going or start.   Wish I remember half of what a AC mechanic tried to show me 40 years ago!
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 6:10pm
Well you could always talk some fine sand paper and lightly clean the points. I got tired of points and put in a pertronix kit so I am not really very good with cleaning and gapping points or knowing when they need to be gapped.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by WestAllisWD45 WestAllisWD45 wrote:

Is it remotely possible someone is playing a joke on you and changed the plug wires around?     Just things I've seen with kids and a WD45  Confused
Condenser or points not getting you a good enough fire?   You get spark for a couple hits, but not enough to keep going or start.   Wish I remember half of what a AC mechanic tried to show me 40 years ago!

No I don't have kids running around here. Opened up the distributor and watched sparks galore.  Pulled  a plug with wire still attached and its sparked well..

But I think Its the  needle. when I pulled off the fuel bowl under the tank I noticed my wire screen was not there...then I remembered. A year or so ago when I had this new bowl and it would not seal with the screen.  Needing to get the harvest in, it sealed with no screen. Mental note..resolve this issue, need to get a screen back in there...mental note lost somewhere...So I think I got crap in the carb.
NickT(Ky) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickT(Ky) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 7:48pm
Our local fuel dealer has "conventional" gas that we keep in a bulk tank here on the farm. It is 87 octane but is not blended. No carb issues ever even on the small engines (chainsaws and mowers).
WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 7:51pm
Tom leave the screen out and install an inline fuel filter between the tank and carb.
Fred Dunlop, G,B,CA, WC,WF, 3 WD45`s,gas, diesel and LP,U,D10 series III, D12,D14,D15 SERIES II,D17 Series IV in Gas and Diesel ,D19 GAS and D21,170 185,210 ,220 an I-600 8070 fwd, 716H and 1920H
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by WD45 WD45 wrote:

Tom leave the screen out and install an inline fuel filter between the tank and carb.

Probably not a bad idea.  New Screen,bowl, gasket and it wouldn't seal at the time...junk
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 8:01pm
If you tried ether and it didn't start then there is something wrong with the spark.  I had a similar problem with my D14 and new points and condensor took care of it.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Auntwayne View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auntwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 8:37pm
    You can not run an inline filter on the WDs. There is a reason Allis Chalmers engineers designed the sediment fuel bowls.
Dswall View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dswall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 8:51pm
I have ran inline filters on our wd's all my life. They run fine.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 8:53pm
You can run an inline filter, but why?  You already have a filter that works fine...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic