Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electrical issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 12:53pm
Sometimes it's wise to pay an electrician for things like this. I know just enough about electrical to be dangerous.
Sponsored Links

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 1:40pm
Sounds like a loose screw on one of the connections. I had a problem with kicking a breaker at a out building that had a 100 amp box it was the screws on the breaker in the main box that was feeding it. But there should be a ground rod at every box.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 3:15pm
Depending on where in S.W. MI. I could maybe go and look at it.
I'm In the Charlotte, MI. area south of Potterville.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Sometimes it's wise to pay an electrician for things like this. I know just enough about electrical to be dangerous.

LMAO !! That's EXACTLY What I am towards electric AND mechanical work !! Yes, I am going to update any resolution to the problem !! Thanks again to ALL posters !!
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

"theoretically" there should be no second ground rod with the SUB box... "BUT" there is suppose to be 4 wires to the SUB so the ground and neutral are separate... but that never happens on the farm ........... I normally add a ground rod a the barn... see what others think. 

That might "help", but you still have a problem with the white/ neutral / ground wire, somewhere.

This was my point-  NEC 'suggests' single-point grounding at the point-of-entry, which most inspectors will say is at the METER, but in an agricultural scenario, that would result in many instances of several-hundred-feet of overhead triplex needing an additional grounding conductor... and of course, any time a building hosted an atmospheric discharge, it'd invite a 'multi-point fire'.

So, basically, any sane agriculturalist would bury a ground stake at the building or grain bin.

But this is simply a case of open neutral.  A technical note- the meter used, is probably high enough input impedance so as to not register a significant difference in unladen circuit resistance if the local ground was tied to a highly-resistive neutral...  or in less-technical colloquial verbage... the meter is so sensitive, that it wouldn't be able to notice a bad neutral until you put a 120v load on it... which is why you see what appears to be 'good' voltage until you flip a breaker.

That bad neutral could be anywhere from the panel, back to the main, so be prepared to open many boxes.

I wish I was there, with a big screwdriver... I'm certain I'd find it in a few minutes.  Most of the world's most confusing electrical problems are the result of open neutrals.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

"theoretically" there should be no second ground rod with the SUB box... "BUT" there is suppose to be 4 wires to the SUB so the ground and neutral are separate... but that never happens on the farm ........... I normally add a ground rod a the barn... see what others think. 

That might "help", but you still have a problem with the white/ neutral / ground wire, somewhere.

This was my point-  NEC 'suggests' single-point grounding at the point-of-entry, which most inspectors will say is at the METER, but in an agricultural scenario, that would result in many instances of several-hundred-feet of overhead triplex needing an additional grounding conductor... and of course, any time a building hosted an atmospheric discharge, it'd invite a 'multi-point fire'.

So, basically, any sane agriculturalist would bury a ground stake at the building or grain bin.

But this is simply a case of open neutral.  A technical note- the meter used, is probably high enough input impedance so as to not register a significant difference in unladen circuit resistance if the local ground was tied to a highly-resistive neutral...  or in less-technical colloquial verbage... the meter is so sensitive, that it wouldn't be able to notice a bad neutral until you put a 120v load on it... which is why you see what appears to be 'good' voltage until you flip a breaker.

That bad neutral could be anywhere from the panel, back to the main, so be prepared to open many boxes.

I wish I was there, with a big screwdriver... I'm certain I'd find it in a few minutes.  Most of the world's most confusing electrical problems are the result of open neutrals.

So do I, Smile
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 1:58pm
Can't decide if Dave want's to tighten screws or short across things....
JC(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 2:20pm
Well, if it fries off the end of the screwdriver, you know you got juice there... liquid molten metal for a few seconds...LOL
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 5:20pm
I must admit that the original wiring was done by dad in '72 (with a different breaker box) but all of the boxes;recepts' and switch boxs'; are metal and were exposed to a farrow-to-finish operation for 25 years, Dad has an electrician coming to the farm tomorrow so I hope to have an update.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic