This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Du-Al Front Loader Hydraulics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Du-Al Front Loader Hydraulics
    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 8:03pm
Can't seem to find a previous thread on this, but it is probably here somewhere... The front loader on my 1963 D-15 only rises to about 1/3 of what it used to rise. It happened 'overnight'. What motion it does have still is even slower than what it was. I was getting max lift, however, even with it being slow. The bucket tilt still seems to be working as normal. I don't know anything. I did check the all my fluids and they are full. Is there a way to pin-point the issue? The hydraulic pump, I think, is mounted on the exterior front at the bottom of the front grill. No big leaks anywhere that I can see - just the usual. I do not see the rams leaking. Will a new, more powerful pump make the front loader action faster? Help! and thanks!
Sponsored Links

Dave (Mid-MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (Mid-MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 8:46pm
Not familiar with Du-All loaders, but the Allis loaders with the front pump used the loader frame as the hydraulic reservoir. Also, in some cases with loaders, the tractor hydraulic reservoir must be overfilled to have enough oil to fully extend the loader cylinders. Check the oil level with the loader cylinders extended.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 9:04pm
Some Du-all loaders do use the frames for their reservoir . This could be your problem.    MACK
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 9:58pm
Could it be an internal seal leak in a cylinder? Or the inside of a hose is coming apart and causing blockage.
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:51am
Had one that the cylinder came apart inside and the oil would just bypass, only a possibility
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 11:59am
Have you been having this super cold weather?  Mine is doing the same.  I attributed it to the temperature.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
John-Paul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 8:34am
Actually, I first noticed this issue back in November. Cooler weather, yes, but not super cold. I will look for and check the frame reservoir first. I did not know that fluid may be in the frame. Thanks for all the replies so far. I will keep you posted!
Pete from IL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete from IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 1:03pm
Follow the large line back that goes to your front pump. That will show you where your reservoir is.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 1:23pm
You may also have a filter inline.
John-Paul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 11:14pm
Thank you for all the great suggestions! Fortunately, it was simply low on fluid, in which the frame is the reservoir - which I did not know. It took about 1.5 gallons to fill. I filled it when I had all the rams extended, as I thought I had read somewhere. Then I learned a lesson in hydraulics. When I lowered the loader, a good quarts worth of fluid shot up and out of the air vent in the cap. I let it drip dry for a few hours. The good news is that it still works as good as it ever has, and maybe a bit better. I still wish it was a bit faster, but at least it works and get things done for me. I printed out all the suggestions and will keep them in my manual binder for future reference. I dodged a bullet this time. Thanks!  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic