Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Politics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dairy farmer schools Joaquin Phoenix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dairy farmer schools Joaquin Phoenix
    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 4:54am
Business And Politics

Dairy farmer schools Joaquin Phoenix after anti-milk Oscars rant: ‘Hey, ding-dong…We help feed the world’
February 13, 2020 | Frieda Powers | Print Article

Actor Joaquin Phoenix has an open invitation from a Wisconsin dairy farmer to see what real life looks like.
Tom Oberhaus did not have any idea who the star of “Joker” was, much less watch him accept a Best Actor award at the Oscars. But he did hear all about the acceptance speech Phoenix gave which he turned into an indictment of the dairy industry.

“We go into the natural world, and we plunder it for its resources,” Phoenix said. “We feel entitled to artificially inseminate a cow, and, when she gives birth, we steal her baby, even though her cries of anguish are unmistakable,” the 45-year-old actor said.
“Then we take her milk that’s intended for her calf, and we put it in our coffee and our cereal,” he added.

(Source: ABC)

Oberhaus fired back, informing critics like Phoenix, who has been a vegan since he was a child, that dairy farmers “feed the world.”
“We just wave it off and go, ‘Hey, ding-dong, you don’t have any idea what’s going on here at the farm,'” Oberhaus told WISN-TV.
“I mean I’d love it if he’d come out here for a couple hours — that would be awesome,” he added. “That’s an invite, Mr. Phoenix. C’mon out. See what life is like on the farm.”
Oberhaus previously served on the Waukesha County Farm Bureau and has a degree in dairy science from Ohio State University. He pointed out the ignorance that drives activists like Phoenix to bash what they know nothing about.
“You know, we feel we have real important jobs in the world. We help feed the world,” he said.

“It’s kind of important that people have food to eat, and what do you do, Mr. Phoenix? Oh, yeah, you entertain people. OK,” he added.
The National Milk Producers Federation also lamented that the hard work of dairy farmers “was attacked from a platform at the Oscars.”
“If [Phoenix] studied the commitment of dairy farmers to animal welfare and had a fuller understanding of the contribution of dairy products to a nutritious diet, especially for children, he might have a different perception of the value that dairy contributes to global health and the importance of the dairy sector to global livelihood,” Alan Bjerga, a spokesperson for the National Milk Producers Federation, told Fox Business on Monday.
Dairy farmer Carrie Mess from Lake Mills, Wisconsin, suggested Phoenix “should get out of Hollywood for a while” in her blog this week.
“Joaquin, you don’t need to drink milk. You don’t need to use or consume animal products. I respect your beliefs,” she wrote.
“But understand that there is no one more connected to the natural world than the farmers who are out here in the places you’ve never heard of, caring for the land and the animals,” she added. “We’ve been sustainable and green since long before it was cool.”

Rep. Fred Keller came to the defense of his state’s agriculture workers after the Oscars speech.
“Phoenix’s rambling remarks about America’s dairy industry prove how out-of-touch he is with the hardworking Americans who grow our food and create healthy communities,” the Pennsylvania Republican said. “Phoenix’s Hollywood-elite world view has clearly blinded him to the sacrifice and struggles of America’s dairy farmers.”

When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 6:30am
What the Hollyweirds do not understand of Milk is typical. Cow does NOT have to be artificially inseminated, bull can mount them as usual and so long as a Cow is being suckled or milked for a product will continue to deliver, body does not care where its going and only painful part is carrying a full bag. Will Bellow until a calf comes to nurse or a farmer connects a milker, cow will otherwise care less.

Edited by DMiller - 14 Feb 2020 at 6:32am
Trinity45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinity45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 7:04am
Joaquin is one of those actors who has mentally lost it.  It plays pretend for a living and now he is having a hard time getting back to reality.  Jim Carey lost it.  Shila L. lost it, several have commited suiced because they could not come back to reality.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 7:43am
Wackeen can't lose what he never had. He's always been a mental case. 
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 8:24am
So how many gallons of milk does a cow give in a day... x 7 days a week x 52 weeks a year .......... and how many have a calf to feed  ............. 7 days a week all year.......... something dont add up ??   Confused   Wacko  Wacko
Trump Is Not A Lib or Conserv, He's a "Pragmatist." (someone who is practical and focused on reaching a goal. Has a straightforward, matter-of-fact approach and doesn't let emotion distract him or her
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 9:09am
Buy the same token farmers are raping the earth to feed vegans. Yeah right, narrow tunnel vision and pandering, but hey why don't we all just go without food!
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 11:11am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

So how many gallons of milk does a cow give in a day... x 7 days a week x 52 weeks a year .......... and how many have a calf to feed  ............. 7 days a week all year.......... something dont add up ??   Confused   Wacko  Wacko

I don't understand your question? 

Obviously the amount of milk a cow produces depends on the breed of cow (a Jersey doesn't produce as much as a Holstein, but is "richer" in butterfat for example), also depends on the diet, the handling, health, the point in the lactation.  So, say a range of 8 to 15 gallons a day, intensively managed Holsteins may be over 20 at peak lactation.  On the other hand, a Jersey eating dandelions at the end of a lactation may make 5.

So, what doesn't add up?  What's your question?

Edited by Tbone95 - 14 Feb 2020 at 11:14am
JC(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 11:20am
Cow suppose to have 60-90 days off.
  What was and is disgusting was when these mega corps like monsanto / phyzer came out with BGH /rbgh/rbst etc hormones to make the cow produce more milk... Like we needed more milk on the market which it depressed our milk prices and so many dimwit farmers were dam nuts for jumping at the chance to shoot their cows up to increase the milk and ... got the results of it, just dam stupid... Health issues in the cattle increased too... Not a lot of stores don't want to handle the product (milk) anymore so many milk plants told the farmers to stop using it. But there are still some doing it. In the end, the only ones that made the big money was the chemical company... and screwed the dairy industry. 
 As usual, big money talks...  and then we get big blow hards blathering that don't help either.   
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 12:11pm
Also, Dairy-breed bulls can be dangerous to have around. Farmers can and do get killed by them.

AI is much safer all-around.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by TramwayGuy TramwayGuy wrote:

Also, Dairy-breed bulls can be dangerous to have around. Farmers can and do get killed by them.

Was thinking of posting much the same.  Not sure what the dude's problem with AI really is?  Probably has no concept whatsoever of what he's talking about.  Must think it akin to "cow rape". If that's the case, he should come over on preg check day!LOLLOLLOL

Edited by Tbone95 - 14 Feb 2020 at 1:03pm
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by TramwayGuy TramwayGuy wrote:

Nothing meaner than a 3 year old holstein bull. I noticed they never use them in rodeos. Some rodeo website I was reading claimed they don't use holsteins because they are too docile. I say bull! Wink
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 1:36pm
I think Waaaah!Keen was anthropomorphizing, I think he thinks that AI takes all the joy of sex out of it for the cow. Misogynistic!!! The BULL stills gets to enjoy the process, but the COW gets - well use your imagination.
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 1:40pm
I think he should look up Buddy Hackett's explanation of the AI process.  It has it's risks!LOLLOLLOL
JC(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 1:56pm
Never trust any bull. A holstein bull can be docile one second and full blown the next, seen it. and many many farmers got stories too.
 Went through the DeForest ABS bull grounds... fellows had 2 - 4 dogs at all times around there when cleaning up the pens.  Blue Heelers, and them bulls backed up for them dogs.

On the flip side, when there is a poor conception rate, the bull does a better job than an AI to get them settled.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 2:50pm
Hormone in milk have been ileagle as far back as I can rember. New dairy farms test before it picked up its tested again get before they can offload the truck and tested a third time before its bottled. A good producing Holstein will produce 15 gallons at each milking so 30 gallons per day. Our cross bread beef cow produced 3 gallons at each milking. It was a white faced crossed to a charlay raised for beef but we milked her and feed the calf. Still had a couple gallons a day leftover that we drank.calf was weened at a couple months then we kept milk till we wanted to start next breaking cycle. With only 2 cows we had to stager breeding cycles to keep in milk all year.the first week after born give the calf as much as you can get it to drink it needs the clostrem. After that it got milk mixed with replacement so it'll get the vitiates and minerals not in fresh milk. That's when we started keeping milk for ourself so and we'd dry up the other cow . One calf was kept for butcher next year and the other either a replacement breaker or sold to market.
Andy E View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 3:27pm
Best explanation I ever had from a educated city slicker was. “Some butter is more yellow in the spring and Somer cause cows eat the butter cup flowers”. All I could say. “Wow learn something new every day”. But then again I heard some good once
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 3:32pm
Little city slicker boy: "Daddy, why do cows have four teats?"
Father: "Well, for different kinds of milk, of course."
Son: "What kinds of milk, daddy?"
Father, trying to look like he wasn't an idiot: "Well, let's see... Whole milk, chocolate milk, and low-fat milk."
Son: "What about the fourth one?"
Father: "Um,... Orange juice?"
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 7:02pm
I have nice big Brangus bull approaching 2000# that I can introduce "Wakeen" to.
Like to see him explain to my bull that his services are no longer needed.
I'll even put him in the chute for their talk, where the headlock barely closes on the widest setting.
Put ol' "Wakeen" in front of him for their chat, then I can pop the release for the headlock  from outside, so they can get better acquainted . . . . .
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by TimNearFortWorth TimNearFortWorth wrote:

I have nice big Brangus bull approaching 2000# that I can introduce "Wakeen" to.
Like to see him explain to my bull that his services are no longer needed.
I'll even put him in the chute for their talk, where the headlock barely closes on the widest setting.
Put ol' "Wakeen" in front of him for their chat, then I can pop the release for the headlock  from outside, so they can get better acquainted . . . . .

Careful, there Tim, maybe wakeen swings that way, and he might sue you fer breech of promise, if things don't go the way he wants...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 7:25pm
Typical Hollywierd taking out his ass. Doesn't know a thing bout' the real world or of farming. I wish these people would just shut the f*ck up and just act. They always gotta' start jaw jaggin' about chit' they know nothing about. Just tryin' to show the other wierdo's in Hollywood that they think they know sumtin'...... IDIOTS!  Go smoke another Doobee.......
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'IB, 49'G, 50'WF, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 8:16pm
They can't Steve, they are desperate for attention and after gaining some, suddenly they are our "moral compass" for everything.
No coincidence that nearly all are proud members of the Turd Party . . . .
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 8:57pm
Tbone............ my point is the cow is making 10-20 gallons of milk EVERY DAY... "IF" there is a little one, he could drink some of it... "IF" there is not a little one, what does he propose to do with the milk ???
Trump Is Not A Lib or Conserv, He's a "Pragmatist." (someone who is practical and focused on reaching a goal. Has a straightforward, matter-of-fact approach and doesn't let emotion distract him or her
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 9:00pm
i guess is something like chickens and eggs ............ stop people from STEALING ALL THEM EGGS !!!....... Then what is the chicken going to do with them ?
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 10:23pm
Well, once the hen goes broody she quits laying, so... I guess she gets busy hatching more chickens, half of which will be hens, laying eggs.
The self-proclaimed "elites" are soooo divorced from reality. And they lecture us like a 2-year-old walking into a room full of adults and declaring: "Awright, I just got potty trained, now all y'all get in line an' I'll TEACH ya how it's done." Pathetic.

Edited by TimCNY - 14 Feb 2020 at 10:27pm
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 6:53am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Tbone............ my point is the cow is making 10-20 gallons of milk EVERY DAY... "IF" there is a little one, he could drink some of it... "IF" there is not a little one, what does he propose to do with the milk ???

I see your point, but I don’t see how it applies in a dairy farm setting. And since I wouldn’t be able to say anything without sounding like I’m defending the Hollywood idiot, I guess I’ll just let it go.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 7:01am
Originally posted by Dakota Dave Dakota Dave wrote:

Hormone in milk have been ileagle as far back as I can rember. New dairy farms test before it picked up its tested again get before they can offload the truck and tested a third time before its bottled. A good producing Holstein will produce 15 gallons at each milking so 30 gallons per day. Our cross bread beef cow produced 3 gallons at each milking. It was a white faced crossed to a charlay raised for beef but we milked her and feed the calf. Still had a couple gallons a day leftover that we drank.calf was weened at a couple months then we kept milk till we wanted to start next breaking cycle. With only 2 cows we had to stager breeding cycles to keep in milk all year.the first week after born give the calf as much as you can get it to drink it needs the clostrem. After that it got milk mixed with replacement so it'll get the vitiates and minerals not in fresh milk. That's when we started keeping milk for ourself so and we'd dry up the other cow . One calf was kept for butcher next year and the other either a replacement breaker or sold to market.

Almost 260 pounds per day on 2 milkings?! Wow, it’s been a while since I’ve been around it much. I took what I remembered from a friend’s dairy and estimated gallons. I didn’t know production had gotten that high. No wonder we’ve got too much milk.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 8:51am
" No wonder we’ve got too much milk."

I wasn't sure myself.  Stopped in the milking room at a large dairy out by Dodge City, and remember them milking 90 head at a time and doing it 24-7.  Tags were scanned and production was kept, if not enough they were gone. 

One thing about American farmers we can almost always over produce.  I remember about 15 years ago a group of investors showed up and wanted us to raise cotton.  As a bunch of us sat listening the farmer beside me leaned over and said "oh great on more market we can flood and make the shi$ worthless" Funny but true.LOL
If we get NUKED, it'll be by missiles built by technology given to China by Clinton, funded by Iran money from Obama with warheads made with uranium sold to Russia by Hillary. But Trump is a traitor?
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 12:16pm
Beef cattle are in the same boat. We produce the same amount of meat as we did in the 70’s on something like 70% of the total head. And yet...check this out:

Was in the FSA office earlier this week. The one woman there and her family have a beef farm about 7 miles from me. Their tax advisor had just visited. The advisor told them that it costs $1.36 per pound to raise a calf to 500 pounds. We all sold for pretty much $1.40 this fall. Closer to 600 pounds, but still, do that math!!!
JC(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 12:31pm
Think 260 pounds is off some how.... 260/8.6= 30.2 gallons ... 15 gal a milking.  3 times a day maybe, that would get down to 10 gallons a milking.  260# x 300days = 78,000# They must have cows big as elephants. 
 Use to be 18000 pounds per cow was real good, then they got up to 28,000 pounds ... Now shooting for 40,000 pounds per cow per year. 40,000/300 days = 133# a day.

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 12:40pm
Those are the numbers I’m used to JC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic