This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

d17d will be coming home

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: d17d will be coming home
    Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 9:55am
got a chance to get my grandpas tractor back but it is in extremly bad shape it is sn. 4526 cylinder is missing and injectors because they were removed and taken to a machine shop that whent out of bissness and scraped everything in side its doors. they also could not manage to keep the allis rims on it or at least ag tires .   this tractor never had a dent or scratch when we had it .    is it going to be possible to even find the parts for this engine.  next  question what about a perkins ad 4 swap ?
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 10:12am
HudCo,
First call I would make would be to Don(MO) for the parts issues. I am sure the parts are out there. Cost I have not a clue. Can it be brought back? Yes but will depend on you commitment and depth of pockets too! 
Second thing would be ,and maybe this should be the first thing, is to go get the tractor! NOW!!! Family tractors just don't come up everyday!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DCAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 8:02pm
I agree on getting it home, don't let it get away!
bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 9:26pm
Cost is almost irrelevant for family tractors go get it and don’t change it put it back like it was and drive it around thinking about grandpa   Those memories are priceless. IS IT HOME YET
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 9:37am
no it has been sitting in that shed in that condition for about five years.  they have had it since about 1992 and that is the only time since they were new that it got parked in side,   i will have three of the four tractors that we had my uncle has the forth one a wd45 but its in a good home . if grandpa was alive he would have wrung necks for letting that happen.             i will get it done as soon as possible but right know it is in a good spot because it would have to sit  at our place tarped out side.  when we had this it was worked very hard there was vever one horsepower spared but it was the most taken cared of tractor in the yard it allways got the tlc first
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 10:16am
Hud,
 Your grandpa would be happy that your going to give his tractor some much needed attention. A famliy tractor was what got me started on the old Allis tractor thing. The rest is history!:)
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 7:12am
I have a complete 262 engine I would sell. It is the early engine from a 1959 D17. It has the water pump in the head.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 9:47am
i am sure that i will have to have a complete engine as i am guessing there is no liner protusion and that was why it started leaking water  also guessing that it never got the oil changedfrom the time it left grandpas place till now
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 11:19am
Hud,
 From what I understand about these and I know very little is you will either have something not re-workable or a lot of parts that someone may need? I would not count this block out yet. Example I saved a WD45 block in the corner of the garage for 5 years and dug it out and found it was a serviceable core for my engine overhaul last year.
Good luck. Get it apart and have a shop look at it.
Regards,
 Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic