This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17D IV Oil Capacity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17D IV Oil Capacity
    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 12:39pm
Changed the oil and filter in my D17 IV diesel.  Manual says it takes 7 quart to fill it.  I put in 6 1/2, ran it briefly, and let it set overnight.  Dip stick says it is slightly over the fill mark today.  Should I put the additional 1/2 quart in or say it is good?  Does oil drain out of the filter when the tractor sets so it registers over the full mark?  My D17 IV gas took 7 quart and registers right at the full mark today after changing oil and filter yesterday.  Just trying to figure things out.  Seems in prior years I put the entire 7 quarts in the diesel, but the memory goes with time, so . . .  Dave
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
Sponsored Links

Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 3:37pm
My chart shows 6 Qt 
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 9:07pm
Always better over a quart than a quart low.           MACK
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 12:08pm
Alvin, what do you have for a chart?  I wonder why it varies from the manual?  What does you chart say for a 180 diesel?  Somewhere years ago, I came up with 9 quart, but the manual I have for the 180 says 12 quart.  I put in 9 quart and it properly registers full, so am going with that.  Thanks, Dave
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 3:16pm
I have the chart form AGCO 9.5qt before engine S# 2D-92423 and13qt after 2D-92423
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 8:26am
Wonder why the manuals vary so much?  They are official Allis manuals, not some after market or knock offs.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 7:12am
So does anyone know how much oil the D17IV takes? We seem to have it narrowed down to 6 to 13 qts.

Edited by Ed (Ont) - 25 Jun 2021 at 5:16pm
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 10:21am
Well, I'm going to say, my D17 IV gas seven quart is correct.  Fills it right up to the full mark.  For my D17 IV diesel, seven quart appears to be too much, so I'll go with six quart and check the oil level after running to make sure that is appropriate.  For my one-eighty diesel, nine quart fill it to the full mark.  I don't know why there are such discrepancies with the manuals.  Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic