This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 IV 3pt. issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangepeeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 IV 3pt. issues
    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:50pm
I'm trying to get my 3 pt. tuned up and here's what's going on. My lift will only go up if I pull the lever back and screw the safety valve in and then the arms settle as soon as I let go of the lever. I've polished all my TB linkage and it seems all is free and working properly. Tonight while working on it I blew a hole in my TB line coming from the pump. Chances are I will keep this tractor forever but probably won't ever need or use the TB. Can I just take the line off and cap off at the pump and the rear? The line has already been brazed in a different spot. One more thing- I cannot adjust my rate of lower screw. Can these just get rusted and seized? Anxious to hear all thoughts.
Sponsored Links

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 12:00am
Does the TB valve move in the hydraulic control? where the TB linkage pushes on the valve itself??? need to get that loose so it pops back out on it's own. Should be able to take rear cap off and tap the valve forward if it is stuck. All the linkages have to be free to move under there to work correctly.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 7:57am
What valve are you calling safety valve?      MACK
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 8:06am
Common issue on units that sit without use.
My barn find did the same as reportedly sat nearly 20 years and mount where linkage rotates on was broken off clean when I got it.
Welded back on, lift would raise and not lower as plunger was also stuck in valve control bank.
With tractor off, remove cap, spray liberally with your favorite "juice" and work in/out until moves easily, stand on arms to lower and I had to re-install cap and move linkage numerous times with tractor started/shut offuntil it would move as it should.
Picked up a round bale and raised/lowered numerous times with approx. 900# bale and it was a tad sticky initially but worked fine after a few lift/lower cycles. Lubing ALL linkage points is a must.
Still using today although it will settle a round bale within a couple hours when shut down, need to rebuild my valve bank some day.
Not sure about dead ending that line, maybe run a hose or have new hard line made.
Someone listed a vendor that can duplicate lines if you send yours to them for copying, don't recall who that was.
orangepeeler View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangepeeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 8:23am
Yes, the TB valve seems to be working in and out correctly with the linkage. Thanks
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangepeeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 8:55am
Originally posted by MACK MACK wrote:

What valve are you calling safety valve?      MACK

There is a little valve on the back of either the position control valve or the TB valve that you screw in to supposedly keep the implement from settling when going down the road. I ran this tractor with an 8 row cultivator for most of my teen years and never used this valve once. Didn't even know it was there.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangepeeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:03am
Originally posted by TimNearFortWorth TimNearFortWorth wrote:

Common issue on units that sit without use.
My barn find did the same as reportedly sat nearly 20 years and mount where linkage rotates on was broken off clean when I got it.
Welded back on, lift would raise and not lower as plunger was also stuck in valve control bank.
With tractor off, remove cap, spray liberally with your favorite "juice" and work in/out until moves easily, stand on arms to lower and I had to re-install cap and move linkage numerous times with tractor started/shut offuntil it would move as it should.
Picked up a round bale and raised/lowered numerous times with approx. 900# bale and it was a tad sticky initially but worked fine after a few lift/lower cycles. Lubing ALL linkage points is a must.
Still using today although it will settle a round bale within a couple hours when shut down, need to rebuild my valve bank some day.
Not sure about dead ending that line, maybe run a hose or have new hard line made.
Someone listed a vendor that can duplicate lines if you send yours to them for copying, don't recall who that was.
That sounds easy enough to do.I'll try to limber up the valve a bit. I see there is a part # for the hyd. line on Agco parts. Probably $500. I'd be interested in hearing more about the vendor that makes lines. Thanks
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:05am
There is no such valve designed to "keep the implement from settling when going down the road".  If this is the valve with a roll pin in the end of it like a handle, so you can tighten it with your pliers, TIGHTEN IT TIGHT AND SMACK IT WITH A HAMMER AND TIGHTEN IT AGAIN AND LEAVE IT THAT WAY.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:07am
You CANNOT plug off the traction booster pump. MAKE A HOSE.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangepeeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:52am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Ok, can you tell me what that rollpin valve is for? I'm all ears. What happens if you cap that TB line off?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangepeeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:56am
Originally posted by orangepeeler orangepeeler wrote:

Ok, can you tell me what that rollpin valve is for? I'm all ears. What happens if you cap that TB line off?

I see on Agco parts they call that a "cam". Whatever that means.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 10:01am
Originally posted by orangepeeler orangepeeler wrote:

You'll split your pump
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 10:02am
That particular feature is used when that valve is used on something other than an AC tractor. Leave it closed !!  No where in the Operators manual does it tell you to ever do anything with it.  There is a "rate of drop" screw ( for the 3pt hitch) and a "High-volume bleed off " screw (for the Traction Booster circuit).
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangepeeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 10:24am
Ok, I'm learning a lot. Please keep the knowledge flowing.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:54pm
Most times that valve is opened, it will never reseat. Like Dr. Said, tighten, peck it with hammer, repeat several times. That is your fix for. Your hydraulic problem.       MACK
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangepeeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by MACK MACK wrote:

Most times that valve is opened, it will never reseat. Like Dr. Said, tighten, peck it with hammer, repeat several times. That is your fix for. Your hydraulic problem.       MACK
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic