This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D15 - Engine Bogs Down

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D15 - Engine Bogs Down
    Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 8:30am

I have been using the tractor regularly all this year – grading, front-loader work and cutting - and I believe that it has been running as strong as ever. Last weekend while using the front-loader it started to bog down while scooping up wood chips from a huge pile, and then eventually it started to bog down while I released the clutch to move after a dead stop. I thought it could be a fuel line blockage. It was behaving similarly, I thought, to a previous fuel line block. Sure enough, I found a few strips of gooey silicone strips in the bottom of the tank (from the previous owner’s repair attempt to seal up the gas gauge) and a decent sized chunk of the stuff wedged into the fuel channel orifice of the sediment bowl – the part that screws into the bottom of the tank. I started it all back up and it seemed to run quite smoothly during a 15 minute warm-up. I thought problem solved. Next – I put the rotary cutter on. With the PTO engaged, as I released the clutch to get going, it cut out pretty quickly. (The power director is in the low gears.) I was able to coax it to do a few strips of cutting with decent power, but at the slightest uphill grade or thick grass/weeds, it would begin to die out again. If I pushed in the clutch while it was cutting out, it will regain power. Finally, as I went to park it and was maneuvering it around, it just cut out while on hard, level gravel. I am glad to have cleaned out the fuel line like I did, but I still have, probably, the same issue. As a side note, and I don't know if this is related, but the battery has been dead the past week or so, seemingly coinciding to all of this. I have had to jump it the last couple times to start it. I put the charger on the battery last night. I don't think it is either charging or holding a charge. Help! If you need more info or clarification, please ask. I thank you!

Edited by John-Paul - 01 Jul 2022 at 9:40am
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 4:42pm
you have a distributor ignition so it needs a battery to develop a spark at the plug.  A LOW battery would be OK, if it was charging... If the battery is almost dead and the charger is not working, that could be a problem...

I believe your tractor is POSITIVE GROUND 12 volt... Did you have the charger leads on the right terminals ? If you try to charge backward, that might effect the battery.

I would put in a battery that is fully charged and test.... If it still has the problem, then possibly rebuild the carb again, cleaning out anything that is left.... last, fix the charge system to eliminate future problems.

Edited by steve(ill) - 01 Jul 2022 at 4:47pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 8:46pm
make a way to have a ez on / off rubber line to the carb. When it starts to bog you can pull on the choke or after setting bakes hand clutch in neutral and trans in neutral - pull off the line to the carb. IF it immediately dies or you see no fuel coming out of the tank - presto - restriction somewhere. I f it continues to run ( feeding off the fuel in the bowl) ant there is a good stream of fuel flow - you have a timing or ignition issue as suggested.  Seldom though will an ignition cause a 'bogging' w/o missing or backfiring unless there is a severe timing issue. 
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
John-Paul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 8:05am
Thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic