This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D-14 carburetor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georgiana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D-14 carburetor
    Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 8:01am

I need some BASIC help adjusting the carburetor on my D-14.  I don't even know where the carburetor is, so please start there and guide me step by step.  My husband thinks that is why my tractor won't run, so TODAY I'm going to try to fix this myself before I call someone so I can go bush hog before the buckbrush leafs out more.  THANK YOU!!!!  Georgiana in SW MO

Sponsored Links

Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 12:07pm
I admire someone for wanting to figure out how do do something themselves without calling someone else to do it. Tell us more about how the tractor is running. Does it seem to run better with the choke pulled out part way or more? The carb is on the left side of the tractor. There is a large hose connected to it from the air cleaner. If it runs better with the choke pulled out, you can try turning the main mixture needle counter clockwise while the engine is running and see if that helps. It's on the bottom of a Zenith brand carb and near the top on a Marvel Schebler carb. Try to keep track of where it was so if that isn't your problem, you can keep it close to where it was.
Spark plugs and breaker points could be a problem too. Tell us more about what's going on and maybe we can give better suggestions.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Georgiana View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georgiana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 1:43pm
THANKS SO MUCH.  Basically, my tractor coughs when it starts, which is unusual, then it just continues coughing and dies no matter with or without the choke pulled out.  It went for a while last week, then just died and I had to wait for a while before it would start again.  Then, I just drove it a little ways and parked it.  I will try what you suggested.  I really appreciate your comments and for telling me where the carb is!  :)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 3:45pm
Your description sounds like adjusting the carb is probably not whats wrong. I would suggest you look at the points in the distributor. A new set of points and a condenser might be more on the line of what's needed. Good luck.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Georgiana View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georgiana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 4:09pm
Again, thanks.  It wouldn't start, but i DID find the carb and it is a Zenith and I learned how to adjust it.  Now, once I get it going, at least I can adjust it. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 7:21pm
Got spark? Pull the center wire out of the distributor cap, lay it with the end no more than 1/4" away from the engine, turn the switch on and crank the engine with the starter. Should have a nice blue spark jumping from the end of the wire to the engine. If it has no spark, a new set of points and condenser are inexpensive and pretty easy to put in. They're designed to wear out, so they're one of the more common problems...
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 6:57am
I'm wit' Brian on that one. Might just need a simple "tune-up". Points, plugs, and a condenser, and the ole' D14 will be back in service. When is the last time your husband tuned it up for you? Could be trash in the fuel also if its been sitting for a while.  HTH
Steve@B&B
Georgiana View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georgiana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 8:38pm

Thanks again.  My wife has been asking, but I am taking over for the time being.  I took the Allis D14 Zenith carburetor apart and cleaned it up and it ran great until it heated up, maybe 20 minutes.  Then it started the same thing - cutting out like it wasn't getting gas or something.  It runs better for a few mins when I push the choke all the way forward, but cuts out again after a few seconds.  Do you still think it's the points?  I've adjusted the carb several times, but no luck.  Could there be something that malfunctions when it gets hot and prevents it from firing correctly - maybe the coil?  I also think I need to flush the system because it heats up quicker than it ever has before.  Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic