Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Code reader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Code reader
    Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 7:22pm
Thinking of getting an inexpensive code reader (OBD1) for my '89 F250 instead of trying to count flashes or needle sweeps. Are these worthwhile or just a waste of money? Thanks in advance,
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 7:32pm
What does one cost  ? I bought my OBDii for about $30 ,a decade ago.. I know '1' predates '2', but looking at numbers is a LOT easier than 'was that 2 beeps or 2 , dnag do it again...' !
Life is short, spend YOUR money before the kids get it !! Beside they might like the reader when they get the truck....hehehe..

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 8:16pm
I bought one about 5 years ago. It was from SEARS and cost about $90. They are more plentiful now and probably a little cheaper.  The "govt" set up some standard ODB-II code  20 years ago that all companies follow.. The code reader will work on almost ALL cars and trucks, probably since 1998 or so ???   You will get a Pxxxx  4 digit code with a small explaination of possible problem.. You have to do a little study to figure out the exact cause... Example P0304 is "misfire on #4 cylinder... Don't tell you if  its the sparkplug, coil, wire, or maybe lack of fuel.. A second code might help narrow that down if you get two codes... Its not EXACT, but does give you an area to look at.

There are also "codes" for transmission shifting and Air Cond problems.. Most of the generic code readers don't cover those...... and the more expensive units can record "real time data" so you can look at the reader while engine is running and see the fuel pressure, fuel trim, misfire in real time, etc........... mine don't do that.

Edited by steve(ill) - 22 Nov 2017 at 8:23pm
Trump Is Not A Lib or Conserv, He's a "Pragmatist." (someone who is practical and focused on reaching a goal. Has a straightforward, matter-of-fact approach and doesn't let emotion distract him or her
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 8:20pm
All light duty vehicles (i.e. less than 8,500 pounds) sold in North America since 1996, as well as medium duty vehicles (i.e. 8,500-14,000 pounds) beginning in 2005, and heavy duty vehicles (i.e. greater than 14,000 pounds) beginning in 2010,[1] are required to support OBD-II diagnostics, using a standardized data link connector, and a subset of the SAE J/1979 defined PIDs (or SAE J/1939 as applicable for medium/heavy duty vehicles), primarily for state mandated emissions inspections.
Trump Is Not A Lib or Conserv, He's a "Pragmatist." (someone who is practical and focused on reaching a goal. Has a straightforward, matter-of-fact approach and doesn't let emotion distract him or her
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 8:36pm
HF has several of different levels of capability.  I've thought about getting one but just haven't gotten there yet.  My plan is to buy one and try it to see what it does and return/exchange it if it's inadequate.  Maybe I'll buy one and wrap it and put it under the tree from Santa!Big smile

Friend of a friend has one that reads Anti lock brake codes.  He set it up and took the car for a drive.  When he got back he new which wheel it was coming from.  I'm thinking that's a little more than I need.  I bought a new sensor and when I took it apart to change it, the new hub bearing I had just previously installed had broken and grease oozed onto the end of the sensor.  I replaced both parts anyway.

Edited by john(MI) - 22 Nov 2017 at 8:43pm
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 8:58pm
Hubert, your truck is the older ODB-1 as you said... Newer are ODB -2 ...... You can buy an el-cheapo reader for $15-20. that basically is ON- READ- OFF ... It will probably be an ODB-2 version. Make sure it can read the OLDER ODB1 codes.

For $30- 40 you can get a 4-5 button reader that does a LOT MORE, but not sure that will help on an ODB-1 code ?  Maybe? ....... if you get a newer car or truck (Someday) the more expensive unit might be a benefit to read real time data.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:21pm
Amazon has one, Ford specific OBD 1, for under $30 which will be less expensive that throwing parts at it if I have a problem.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 12:39am
shucks Hubert....you already wasted a bunch of money when ya boughts that ferd! what's a little more wasted? lol
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 7:25am
85 to 95 (OBD1) era Fords are kinda 'funny' about trying to diag a code.
I think the engineers were all high when they thought that up.

You can get the code fine but without any data to see you may end up chasing your tail on a few things. Get the code and definition of such and look for the obvious first.
Such as what they term the wiggle test.

Had a 93 Ranger once that kept throwing a MAF related code. Data and pin tests looked OK but at 45 the trans would jump in and out of torque converter lockup. Took it to the trans shop and they said it was a vacuum leak/lean, trans was OK. BS.....I've been all over this thing. Finally I took the ECM out and opened it up and a capacitor ruptured.
Found a reman and all was well.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 7:47am
Hubert, why not wait until you need one.  That think might run another 10 years now without a problem.  LOL
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 8:03am
Hubert......read your other thread on the other Ferd.
How many you got anyway?
Do we need to call somebody. Is there such a thing as Fordanon.

I drive a 98 Dodge PU which is really unusual for me.
First and last but it hauls my butt around.
I just think nice thoughts and tell it what a wonderful truck it is and
it hasn't given me to much grief. Bout once a month gets a little grumpy.
Throw a Midol in the tank and all is well.

Edited by fixer1958 - 23 Nov 2017 at 8:10am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 8:27am
Bought a super cheapie at Harbor Freight years ago, has multiple plug style connectors and a LED that does the flashes, was a couple bucks and still use it on neighbors old stuff.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 10:01am
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

Hubert......read your other thread on the other Ferd.
How many you got anyway?
Do we need to call somebody. Is there such a thing as Fordanon.

I drive a 98 Dodge PU which is really unusual for me.
First and last but it hauls my butt around.
I just think nice thoughts and tell it what a wonderful truck it is and
it hasn't given me to much grief. Bout once a month gets a little grumpy.
Throw a Midol in the tank and all is well.

Fixer, I might just need some counseling. The '99 is my daily driver and the '89 my BIL gave me just before he passed away and it stays at the farm. But...... but, I have an '87 150 as backup and I bought my wife a 2013 F150 last year. But don't tell Shameless, he will think I really need some help.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 7:24am
We refer to them things as road dumpsters!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 12:46pm
The kicker on 95 and back is they will be mfr specific for the most basic ones. The little better will have a swappable cable so they can be used on more than one brand.
When the  mfrs gave us live data streaming that made diagnosis a bunch easier...
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 1:14pm
LMAO @ John!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 2:18pm
Shameless, I think you need to go back to town and do some more Black Friday shopping.
You too, John.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 2:47pm
Aw Hubert they all have plenty of coin. They must have to be able to drive a Chevy. Now lets stand back and see how much dust that raises. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by LeonR2013 LeonR2013 wrote:

Aw Hubert they all have plenty of coin. They must have to be able to drive a Chevy. Now lets stand back and see how much dust that raises. 

Shameless must be busy sharpening his poking stick or he's out shopping for another Chebby. Maybe he's looking for one with a heated tailgate.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 2:44pm
Yeah, remember a couple weeks ago Shameless was talking about those pickups at a city sale, guess if you own a Cheby you have to have a couple parts machines to keep it running....
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 4:04pm
I did pick up sum new grease for the "machine" at TSC Friday
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic