Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

chain saw sharpener grinding wheels?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: chain saw sharpener grinding wheels?
    Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 6:27pm
Well I have one of those Harbor Freight electric bench grinders that I occasionally use when I need to do some serious grinding like after cutting into a nail or something.  It seems to work fine (like the wheel is the right thickness for the 3/8 chain on the ole poulan 20 inch saw.

So the other day I ran the little stihl chain into the log chain that was still attached.  It looks salvageable, but it seems to me that since this Stihl has the smaller teeth (takes the 5/32 file), I need a different wheel for that little baby.

How do you figure out the wheel diameter requirement for an electric bench sharpener?  Confused
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 6:48pm
First thing I would recommend would be to ask Bailey's. I uster have the HF grinder, it was OK, for the price, but the lack of proper centering of the chain vise, made switching sides, give a different angle to the cut, unless you re-adjusted the stops, every time you switch sides...

I traded up, to an older American unit, I found at an auction, fer $40... I don't know if Bailey's have the right wheel, fer an HF unit, but they do, fer the better units...

Here's a link to Baileys:  https://www.baileysonline.com/
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 7:30am
thanks Dave.  The hot link did not go to the right site for me but the web address did.

I got it in my favs and will get into it later when and if it starts raining again.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 8:31pm
Don't know what happened to the link, but glad you found it...Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic