Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Birds in shed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesEdiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Birds in shed
    Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 8:00pm
Can't seem to keep the sparrows out of my metal building. The only method that works is the 12 gauge. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 9:09pm
Two good cats in the barn works for me. The birds try stealing the cats food the cats catch and eat e birds. If I could get the cats to clean up the feathers when there done it would be perfect. Birds no longer nest in my barn.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 1:01am
X2
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 2:18am
also can use them .22 cal bird shot shells ina .22 rifle
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 4:47am
back when I was growing up I climbed around all over the barn structure with my Red Ryder BB gun and a flashlight, mainly near their entrance, get in position and lights out and quite, wait for their arrival, light on in direction of their last sound and send a BB to the little unsuspecting bird.

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 6:12am
There are electronic bird removers... BirdX used to be one,maybe still around. It sends out  sounds birds can't stand.. I remember Disney got into trouble with the bird lovers, as Disney was usng them to get rid of the french fry stealing seagulls.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
macec3(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macec3(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 6:33am
I had the same problem with birds roosting in our carport/garage. Bird poop on our car and truck. I was told to get one of those life size plastic hawks. He said DO NOT get the owl. The owl will not have any effect on the birds. I got the hawk and no more birds. It worked.

Edited by macec3(TX) - 29 Oct 2017 at 6:23pm
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 8:18am

Hey Wes,,,,them animals KNOW,,,or soon will know,,when you get you a pellet gun and nail a couple of them with it,,,,,ClapThey got a way of tellin their kin that,,, "Thet dude with thet funny lookin "stick" can hurt you" and make you become cat food,,,,,,Clap I was startin to get them dang blackbirds wantin to set up night camp in the big Mulberry tree next to the house and so after I downed 2-3 of em,,,,,,you can see em fly around the tree in the PM and,,,,,and,,,,you can hear em talkin and talkin and,,,,,they lite a shuck for places farthur south,,,,!!! And,,,,when some of them is tryin to steal ole Hungry's groceries in front yard,,,all I gotta do is walk out of garage carryin the pellet gun,,,,they are gone quick,,,,!!  Amazin to watch em take a quick look and Poof,,,!!!!LOL
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 9:21am
Before bird shot came with plastic cups I bought a 9 shot 22 revolver and had the rifling reamed out. 
That works very well for them small birds in barns, and does not seem the hurt the roof. It's good for about 30 feet. 

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 9:59am
saw this...
https://www.banggood.com/GreatHouse-PIR-Sensor-Birds-Repeller-Garden-Sound-Flaslight-Animal-Expeller-p-979417.html?rmmds=category

only 22 Canucks, from China, free shipping....

it sounds like it might work.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 6:06pm
I've been having good luck with just a radio on ALL the time.  They don't like the sound I guess.  A good friend told me about it and I didn't believe him until I tried it.  It worked all summer.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 12:19am
there you go....puts Ted in there dancing to the music flopping his arms all over!
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 7:54am
If it's an open building then the owls will work pretty good but if it's an closed building then you need to make it dark in there on a sunny day to find all the cracks and holes.  Expanding foam and steel wool should do the trick.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 9:16am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

also can use them .22 cal bird shot shells ina .22 rifle
Grandpa uses those, with good results. 
1942 B, 1948 G, two 1950 All-Crop 60As, 1958 All-Crop Super 100, 1975 860 Cotton Stripper
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 8:11pm
Took me two trieto town to find thet bird shot. They seem to about as rare as the 22 shells.
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 8:16pm
Thets the only reason I keep the 22 around. Can't get the bird shot in any other caliber, can ya?

I know ole Thad's been chompin at the bit trying to git his hands on my ole High Standard rifle. Caught him and ole Shameless in the scurity cameras one night.

The nurse went after them and they ran off in a hurry.

Edited by Les Royer - 30 Oct 2017 at 8:18pm
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 9:07pm
You can get the plastic pieces and relaod your own.  I've done .357 Mag and .44 Mag ones.  REAL NICE on snakes....Joe?....
"Allis-Express"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 11:37pm
Les....I gots lots of them bird shot shells for a .22, come on over, i'll shoot with a few and you tells me if they hurt!
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 4:57am
My brother is 7 years older than me and he had this game he loved to play,,,,,,,,,,, specially in the winter on snow and ice at a pond in the pasture......... You know when it's so cold that your skin is all tight and sensitive to painful things,,,,,,,,,,,,,
anyway it was called "The hunter and the elk",,,,,,,,,,,, You see the hunter had the BB gun,,,,,,, and the "elk' was fair game and the target.............
it was a lot of fun at first,, but after so long, and so many hits, the pain hurt and the "elk" would start crying and refuse to play anymore,,
Well, the big brother would step in and say,,,,,, "Well just two more shots and it is your turn"......................
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 5:07am
I'll take yer werd for it Shameless?

But are you shure you can hit me? Cause I'm just a skinny fella
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 1:37pm

Les....I gots lots of them bird shot shells for a .22, come on over, i'll shoot with a few and you tells me if they hurt!

My what generosity Winkyour showing. Nice to have such friendsLOL
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

My what generosity Winkyour showing. Nice to have such friendsLOL

I got one like that,,,,,Lemme tell,,,ya'll,,,,
 Back when we was in bout 5th grade and it was "WATER PISTOL" season,,,,,,,(Did ya'll have those toy seasons too,,??)  any way me and this guy was kinda bored and so I dreamt us up a game tween us two,,,, You know that little thingie that hangs down in the back of your throat,,,,???  I tell ole Paul I'll try to shoot yours first and then you get a try,,,,He insisted on bein first so him bein a good friend,,I let him give her a go,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wouldn't you know it,,,,,HE MISSED,,,!!! Well,,,,we was laughin so hard it was hard to get a good bead on his little thingie,but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I nailed thet sob dead center,,,,and,,,,and,,,I thought ole Paul was flat gonna DIE on me right there,,,he was gagging and carry'in on and gaggin some more, him kickin on the floor and he,,,,,he,,,kept pointin to his throat,,,tryin to ketch his breath,,,I figured he was gonna be some pee'd off when he come to,, so I was wantin to haul azz,,,but he wouldn't let go my arm even tho he was still chokin some,,,,,Wink,,,he finally stopped thet awful gaggin sound and drank bout a gallon of water,,,,,,,,he wanted a second chance but,,,I had to cut and run,,,,,,LOLLOL,,We never played thet game again,,,but we laughed bout it for many years after ,,,,,,ClapClap
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 12:16am
glad you didn't use a BB gun!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 5:53am
Neighbor had some metal rods with a wick on top side - was treated with something that gave birds like a hot foot - worked well as he had a riding arena and these were nailed onto about every other truss on both sides - 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 7:41am
Coke, they have something similar on the inspection rail on the top of the smoke stacks at the power plants on the Mississippi.  Some kind of grease that burned the feet of the eagles and hawks that wanted to land there.  They were quick learners, only did it once.
"Allis-Express"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 8:00am
yeah Les...I gots one of them rapid fire thingy's on my rifle, can lay a pattern about 50 ft wide real quick. bound to gits you somewhere in between!
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 11:57am
Dang. That's all I'm gonna be thinkin about now every time I come near yer place!

I better bring a first aid kit or even the nurse!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 12:36am
yer welcome to come on over here Les and brings the Nurse too, just remember the "no ferd parking zone"!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic