This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

best groceries for mice traps,,,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best groceries for mice traps,,,
    Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 1:45pm
 For many, many years I did not get any mice inside my house but them dag critters go inside and I want  em OUT,,!!  I got some mouse traps and baited up wit colby cheese and have only got two of them,,,one fat momma that was fixin to have mousies. My neighbor told me to put a small dab of honey on the cheese but didn't make any difference,,,!! I DO NOT want to use poison as the smell is terrible,,,' What do others use???
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 1:49pm
We have decent luck with peanut butter.  
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 1:53pm
There is a bottled mouse bait - kind of a jell that works great - it lasts well on traps especially the new ones that have like a small bait cut under the set plate . 
 I have several of the plastic traps that have like a overhead spring held cover (kill part ) and then the bait cup under the center of the release plate . 
  The jell is dispensed as a fairly thick goo and stays in place on trap and doesn't seem to dry out over months of setting .

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 2:10pm
We use peanut butter with great success.  I've also heard that a little honey or sugar will help, but never needed to try that.

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 2:16pm
 Hey GREAT Guys,,,On my way to Walmart, to get some peanut butter,,I;m thinking smooth,,,,(I like The crunchy one,,,Wink,
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 2:45pm
Goggle " bucket mouse trap" you don't need to buy one,empty beer or soda can,piece of wire,yard stick so they can climb up there,smear peanut butter on the can, don't forget to put about 6 inches of water in the bucket,you will be amazed as to what all you catch " drown" in there
Darwin W. Kurtz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darwin W. Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 2:47pm
Get some of the glue traps and put some peanut butter on those .....will draw them to it for sure then they're stuck. If you have indoor pets you will have to put them to where they can't get to it. We had a little dog once that liked peanut butter
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 2:58pm
Another vote for peanut butter. I sure do hate to waste such a Hendrix household staple on such vermin but I don't want them around either
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 3:30pm
Use TomCat attractant gel. Can get at hardware stores Walmart and even Amazon. More effective than any home brewed bait. Just a little dab of it and the mice come running. Wife caught 15 mice on three traps in one day in the fish house. Cheese they steel peanut butter is ok but only caught 3 mice on it. It's only about $6 a tube and lasts a long time.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 3:31pm
Peanut butter. Tomcat also has a bait I’ve used with great results
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 4:05pm
Put the trap perpendicular to the wall with the part for the bait against the wall. Mice run along the wall and when they go over the trap they spring it and you get a shot at the mouse's entire body. No bait needed. Hope that makes sense.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 4:14pm
Peanut butter only use a small amount on the paddle/trigger so they have to get right on it to eat it.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 5:32pm
Peanut butter, or a piece of bacon rind, threaded through the hole of the old traps...

Definitely peanut butter on the bottle of the bucket traps!Thumbs Up
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 5:44pm
Left over Rotel/Valveeta cheese dip.
Learning AC...slowly
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 7:04pm
Been using Always Save cheese, nothing had some left over Velvetta, yes they luv that !! Snapped a couple 
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 7:56pm
I've used about all of them. the bucket trap like Tom describes worked great for the rats I had outside, in the house I use the glue traps, the black colored plastic tray (top cat) ones work the best out of all of them. I used to put p.butter on them, but have since not needed any on them. like said above, don't put them where small house critters (dogs and cats) can get on them. 
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 6:27am
Peanut butter is the only thing I had any real luck with. Have sticky traps around with peanut butter in random places I don't check very often. Good for brown recluse too in the basement.

Made a bucket trap once in the chicken house and finagled it to a 25 mile 12 volt fence charger. Entry platform was on the neg and the pos was the bait holder. Got a lot of them. Something got in there and tore the hell out of it. Probably a rat. Wish I could have seen that. Used peanut butter.

Cleaned out my garage year or two ago and saw that mice had chewed holes in the sheetrock on walls that had a bunch of crap piled up. Smeared peanut butter on rat killer bait bars and shoved them in the hole. Bunch of it. Stuffed some steel wool in the hole and taped over it with zip tape. Haven't seen any since.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 9:31am
Peanut butter definitely works great. Plain old butter might be better though.

I hate mieces to pieces!
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 12:42pm
I drill a small hole through a kernel of shell corn then with fine wire I attach it to the trigger on the trap. The corn attracts the mice and doesn't dry out.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 2:11pm
 I have alway used peanut butter and I feed them deacon in my garage, the don't stink if you don't find them, something in this deacon that makes them not stink as they dry up
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 2:35pm
Peanut butter is the simplest and effective bait solution.  Stays fresh for a long time.

If you are using traps, I found that gluing them to something smooth, like a piece of cardboard, increases the success rate.  The mice can't get traction on the smooth surface and can't avoid the  trap closing.

Edited by dee_veloper - 25 Jan 2023 at 2:37pm
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 3:49pm
I had a bit of a problem with mice in the crawl space of my previous home. In my opinion peanut butter was the best option for baiting the trap. I had the occasional problem with a larger mouse not being killed and running off with my trap before they died. I solved this problem by stapling a fishing leader to the trap and clipping the other end to a small wire staple nailed to the access door frame. I did the same process when I discovered that a rat had gained access to the attic.
Jack of all trades, master of none
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Dirt Farmer Dirt Farmer wrote:

I drill a small hole through a kernel of shell corn then with fine wire I attach it to the trigger on the trap. The corn attracts the mice and doesn't dry out.

Rube Goldberg your cousin?
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 6:51pm
Set your traps perpendicular to the walls and you will not need any bait.  Mice and rats like to run across the room by the walls not in open spaces, I've never baited the trap and catch them all.  Peanut butter is better than cheese. 
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 8:33pm
A couple years ago, we had a problem with mice at work. We had a candy bucket with mini candy bars in it and found some that had been chewed. We found some mouse traps, but had no bait, so we opened some of the candy they had chewed and put it on the traps for bait. It turns out that mice will commit suicide for Reeses peanut Butter Cups!
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 11:08pm
Hey Tbone, I was just sharing what has worked successfully around my farm throughout the years. Thanks at least for not comparing me to Freegas.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Dirt Farmer Dirt Farmer wrote:

Hey Tbone, I was just sharing what has worked successfully around my farm throughout the years. Thanks at least for not comparing me to Freegas.
I was just messin' around with ya', so thanks for not taking it too seriously!Wink
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 10:00am
As Diy Dave mentions, mice like bacon. Never tried it but bet it would work. Last mouse I had here in town I 'discovered' by his tracks in the bacon grease in a frying pan left on the stove. Betting bacon grease would be great mouse trap bait too!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 10:18am
To be fair, who doesn't like bacon?
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 3:00pm
I've tried a lot of things over the years, including peanut butter. Chunk off a Fig Newton put al the rest to shame. But problem is a caught mouse must taint the trap with scent, as it's hard to catch more in the same trap.

There is a guy on youtube that does "mouse trap mondays". He did a test and found top 2 baits were chocolate and peanut butter. So Reese's peanut butter cup makes sense.

Always thought same would work well on 110 body grip trap for rats. Impale a piece on the trigger wire or use a trigger pan and hang a Reece's piece between the bars.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic