Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Backhoe?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Backhoe?
    Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 9:22am
What is best backhoe for the money? Thanks Tracy
Liberals should know this by now. Voting for Obama the first time was ignorant, voting for him the second time was just stupid.
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 9:24am
Case

(ducks LOL)
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 10:24am
Case
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 10:33am
I have some projects at the farm and a new place I bought. I could use a good used backhoe. Don't need a new one. Just one that will work.  Thanks Tracy
Liberals should know this by now. Voting for Obama the first time was ignorant, voting for him the second time was just stupid.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 10:42am

Hey Tracy,,,,My vote is for a D14 Industrial with the Mark IV,,,,that right there is one hole diggin sob,,,,,,,,WinkClap   Not for Sale,,,but you welcome to borry it,,,Ya just have to promise to bring it back when done,,,,,LOL
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 12:00pm
Case is king in these parts
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 12:14pm
Case for ease of getting parts and dependability. Still would like to have an AC sitting out back though.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 12:29pm
Ford, Case, JCB, JD, Cat. All decent machines, listed in order of price in this part of the country.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 12:36pm
two things...
1) PARTS availability and price !!

2) the operator !!!! if you go easy ,it'll outlive you ,me and the grankids..go hot and hevy and it'lll croak by noon....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 12:36pm
The newest biggest one you can afford.  Preferably a 4X4 or better yet a trackhoe. most farms up here have either Case or John Deere.  most of the time I use a JD. its important to have  one that's locally supported. you will break things and when your down its not moving till you fix it. rember backhoes weight two to three times as much as a similar sized tractor.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 6:04pm
Have that AC backhoe that came off my HD4 still setting here - looking for a new owner . 
2 stick valve body - Cesna hydraulic rotary piston for swing - 24" bucket and 14' dig .

I found the best price at the time was for the AC 715B hoe as it was 1/2 the price of a Ford 555 or other such hoes . Depending on the area is what machines are out there - AC never seemed to be big in the market - but ford was here - New Holland is another as is JCB that are worth looking at . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 9:40pm
If you are looking for just a hoe, Long has been around for a long time.  Thats what I got.  Works good and does what I need it to do.  Mine is a smaller one  which is fine, but they make a series of sizes.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 9:57pm
if you can find one with an extendable hoe, you'll like it!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 10:27pm
We bought this old CASE 530 out of a fence row about 7 years ago. ( mid 1970s ?) It is based on a 530 farm tractor.. but hoe is attached solid.  Rebuilt the motor, rebuilt several cylinders, new hydraulic pump and hoses...Has done a crap load of work around the farm. Probably under 1000 hours in 7 years........... real handy.

Trump Is Not A Lib or Conserv, He's a "Pragmatist." (someone who is practical and focused on reaching a goal. Has a straightforward, matter-of-fact approach and doesn't let emotion distract him or her
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 11:14pm

Actually,,Tracy,,I was bein a tad facetious,,,but ole Jay does have the right answer,,parts availability and dealer support has to be the most important thing ,,Truth be known,,,had I of known how much of an issue I would have with finding parts for my D14 backhoe,,,I dang sure would of done something different,,,,,(still ain't got the power steering issue figured out on my D14,,,,Angry
 Think I would like to have a case myself or maybe even (gasp) a Ford,,,(maybe ole Shameless won't read this post).  Except for all the newer foreign orange and red models, I see more Case or fords around here with the JD's a close 3rd,,,, not too many caterpillers either. There is a Mahindra dealer in the Alien Town that has a whole lot full of them orange backhoes prolly at least 40 of em,,,,
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 6:21am
Bought my first A-C I-60 backhoe in 1974, traded it for an A-C 715 in 1978, traded again in 1987 for an A-C 715 B with extend-a-boom and still have it. Great 2 wheel drive machine. Haven't touched the power train in 30 years. We had a great local dealer who is
now the JCB dealer and we also now have 4 JCB telahandlers. I do have most of their old A-C industrial service books. They still have a file cabinet full of A-C industrial sales brochures.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 6:38am
Tracy I'm not an expert on all makes but have worked with JD and Case, I like the way JD operates but when buying a used machine Case is the one I would look for. They are easy to work on compared to JD.  I'm retired now but still have several wrenches in my tool box that have been heated and bent or cut and welded to make them work on JD stuff. Case just seems to me to be much much easyier to work on.   Mark
marion View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 6:40am
I drug home a 202 massey 30 years ago, 134 gas continental engine, put 1000 hours on it before had to go thru motor. Does everything I want it to do. It has always started no matter how long it has set. Doesn't get that much use anymore as have a rubber tired forklift to move stuff around. This will be a cheap buy at my sale as it will outlive me.
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 8:47am
Case (580)or Ford (555B)from the 80's were great machines
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,4-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
SteveMaskey(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 9:32pm
Tracy I would say Case also. I have heard good things about the bigger AC hoes but I have a I400 and it is under powered. I like to run the motor at a fast idle and if you dead head the I400 It will kill the motor. You have to have the throttle ½ open on it. I ran a 530 Case like the one pictured above and liked it real well
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic