This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B Replaced fuel lines etc new problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2011dandd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B Replaced fuel lines etc new problem
    Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 3:21pm
Hi guys
Hoping one of the b professionals can advise on some issues please

So I replaced the fuel lines today finally. Basically replacing all the old flexi hose that a previous owner had installed.
I took all the old stuff of and the air cleaner of last week so the carb had been open to fresh air for a week but covered with a cloth so nothing got in. I also added a proper gravity fed fuel filter.
I plumbed all the new stuff in today and fuel is flowing in to the carb great.
But......it didn’t want to start and after the 10th pull on the starting handle I gave up.

Any obvious explanations to this? Might the float have dried stuck or something in the time the old lines weee off awaiting the new?

Also why does fuel drip from the little hole to the right of the drain screw on the bottom of the zenith carb? Is this an overflow?

Sorry to ask so many silly questions Cheers
Sponsored Links

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 4:58pm
Check this video out you my want to try it yourself, and make a vid of it.

1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 6:46pm
I don't know what carb you have, but normally the "LITTLE HOLE" is where the fuel runs out if the float is stuck DOWN and the bowl overflows... you could bang on the side of the carb with a 12 oz hammer ( don't hit it hard and bust the bowl)... sometimes the shock will knock the float loose and then be OK... it will stop dripping, then might start. Right how you are probably flooded......... the stuck float happens to a couple of my tractors every spring from setting all winter and the fuel evaporates and float drops down.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 7:18pm
If fuel was dripping out the bottom when you started cranking you very likely fouled (shorted out) the plugs with gas. Or what is called being flooded. It is not uncommon to remove a carburetor and lay it upside down or on its side and have the float valve not seal when first re installed. Most of the time it is from fines breaking lose and getting lodged in the seat. You can always find fines in the threads where the gas line fittings screw into the carburetor. Sometimes it will clear up with running. Shut the gas off and turn it back on after you start the engine. If it starts normal with the gas off you will know if it is flooding when it is dripping. Then when you shut it off watch to see if it is still dripping and then shut the gas off. I have three tractors that will from time to time drain the tank empty if I don't shut the gas off.
2011dandd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2011dandd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 3:03am
Thanks very much for the reply’s guys.

Cheers
2011dandd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2011dandd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 4:12am
also its a zenith carb not sure on the exact model but a us seller is selling the exaxt same type for $255 on ebay at the moment (danstractorshop is the seller i think)

is there an easier way of starting these things? mine has so much compression which i know is a good thing. how difficult is the conversion to ignition start?
what would i need? battery, coil starter and dizzy?
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 5:51am
A torque tube with starter hole and flywheel with ring gear.
HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 9:16am
Originally posted by 2011dandd 2011dandd wrote:

also its a zenith carb not sure on the exact model but a us seller is selling the exaxt same type for $255 on ebay at the moment (danstractorshop is the seller i think)

is there an easier way of starting these things? mine has so much compression which i know is a good thing. how difficult is the conversion to ignition start?
what would i need? battery, coil starter and dizzy?

Just a couple of opinions, for whatever they're worth.

Cleaning carb and reassembling it isn't rocket science.  It's not even "professional mechanic" difficult.  Get the manual, some solvents and some brushes (I like old toothbrushes and spray gun brushes) and go to town.  I normally don't buy "rebuild" kits.  I get a gasket set and then only replace parts that are work to the point of not functioning.  usually the only thing I may replace (and not every time) is the float needle and seat.  Everything else cleans up.  In 20 years of working on carbs from motorcycles to tractors, I've never had to replace a jet unless I was rejetting to correct for a modification.  The only way I would buy a carb would be physical damage from impact or overwhelming corrosion.  In the end a well cleaned carb with the proper parts replaced if necessary is at least as good as a new carb...some would say better.

As for electric start, there's no need to ditch a magneto for it.  My '51 B has a rebuilt mag and electric start and it fires off within about one revolution every time.  Personally, I like the simplicity of the mag and the resulting simplicity of the electrical system (with the original generator, starter and lights it's about 5 wires).     

Edited by HoughMade - 19 Feb 2019 at 9:17am
1951 B
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 9:36am
After you've cleaned the carb make sure you pull the emulsion tube and clean it many times I've pulled apart a carb that had just been done and find small grit hair or fibers around the outside of the tube you can't get that clean without removing it. Have your wife drag you around the yard and pull start it. Once it's warmed up and properly adjusted. Both timing and carb it should start easy with the hand crank. Make sure the impulse coupler is working correctly. My C would start by the second pull of the crank even after sitting for months. Dads C was started most of the time using the crank the old 6 volt needed to have the come tigons cleaned any time it sat for a couple months and giving the crank a pull it would start right up.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 9:55am
If you want to convert it to electric start (as Dick L says), you will need a torque tube with a starter mount, a ring gear on your flywheel, a starter, a battery box, battery cables and a starter.

I have one that is converted and uses a 12 volt battery. Since it is still a magneto, the battery only starts the tractor. It has no charging system. I charge the battery periodically, when I have started it a few times (usually 2 - 3 times every summer). It saves the expense and problems of mounting an alternator to charge it.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 10:41am
If your Leary of rebuilding the carb ya might not want to tackle splitting the B to change the torque tube and flywheel/ring gear. It can be very dangerous with the weights involved. Don't know your mechanical level, definitely need to research it. Most guys on here grew up wrenching on tractors and are more than willing to help with information.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
2011dandd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2011dandd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 4:37pm
Cheers for all the help. Really appreciate it you guys are are very helpful.
Have rebuilt lots of carbs in my time but I’m weary because parts and kits over in the UK are so hard to find and most stuff I would need to order from the US for quality .

Frustrating really
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 5:28pm
Before I was taking pictures I bought a crank start B that had an electric motor belted to the power takeoff. The engine was stuck so I never tried it. It had a large pully on the power takeoff and a small one on the motor. It had steel bar stock welded to the drawbar that the motor was hinged on. It didn't have a belt on it but looked like they would have plugged the motor in and pressed down on the motor to tighten the belt.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 5:55pm
This summer I got my first crank start tractor. A 39 B. It didn't want to start either but after fixing other things and with some help from here I finally got it to run. I think they all are specific in how they like to be started. You just have to learn what they like. Have you tried pull starting it? I will admit I hated that tractor to start but now it may end up being one of my favorites. Learned alot from that tractor. Good luck. I take a q-tip with some polishing compound and put the q-tip in a drill and polish the float seat. Don't know if it's the proper way but seems to make the float needle work better.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 6:55pm
Dan- like MDM says... They're women- each one has it's own 'way' of liking to start...  Ouch

So here's what MY '39B demands:

With fuel petcock off... place throttle lever in about 1/3 open.
Open fuel petcock.
Close choke
Pull crank through three compression cycles
Open choke halfway
pull crank through fourth, and it fires.
--Wait for about 30 seconds, modulate the choke a little bit 'till it sounds happy, wait another 20 seconds, open the choke, and WALK AWAY for 5 minutes.

Do it any other way, it ain't gonna go- just turn off the fuel, open the choke and walk away- it's pissed off for an hour.  LOL

That being said, when I follow the program, it doesn't give a hoot if it's a 22C warm and sunny, sweltering 40C, or -30C nightmare of high wind and drifting snow- it fires up EVERY TIME.

Just don't make it do something it don't like.  Remember- it's a tractor, you married it. Clap

Edited by DaveKamp - 20 Feb 2019 at 6:56pm
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
KerryM View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 7:38pm
DaveKamp... that is what I call Wisdom!
Thumbs Up
1950 C, 1952 CA, 1961 D17 (Dads last tractor)

1944 Farmall B, 1947 Farmall B, Bobcat 610
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic