Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

any ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 5:44pm
Hubert...I already know about the "bite" from the hot wire, and I don't hafta lick my fingers! LOL , biggest problem is, on one switch I have 1 red wire and 2 black wires, and the other switch has 3 black wires! been changing wires around on the switches and trying them each time. gots bit only twice (so far) LOL. and if'n I can't figger out how to post pics on this site, it'll takes me months how to learn to use a meter thingy!
Sponsored Links

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 7:29pm
I hate 3 way switches. Can't mix new ones with old ones.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 8:33pm
You can  learn to use the meter in less than 5 minutes for what you need, and a non contact test light takes even less time. The less expensive the meter, the easier it is to learn to use it. I have one high dollar meter and I don't know how to use half of the functions on it, it stays in the tool box most of the time. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 6:58am

Hey Good Buddy,,,I'm beginnin to worry bout your wantin to experiment with your life,,,,,Why'nt you put some of your famous steaks on the grill and call ole Les to come over and help,,,??? You could even offer to trade work for work by helpin him on his ford thks,,,??? Ole Les been messin with juice-tricity like forever on them water wells,,and,,,,and,,,could figure thet out in a heartbeat,,!! You kinda playin with a potential "OH-OH" there,,,,,,and don't go believing that  120 VAC won't kill you,,,,
 Now,,,I ain't no juice-trician but safe'tiest way to identify which wire is which is with a meter and  NOT YOUR FINGERS,,!!!you would need some extra wire, a meter with "continuity" to verify which black wire goes from one location to the other,,,,there,,!!  I feel better now,,,CALL LES,,,,he don't charge anything,,,him bein retired,,,,LOL
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 7:01am

Yeah,,Hubert,,,I got one of them Fluke Meters that I "found" at work many years ago but I always reach for one that is lots easier to understand,,,plus I gots a few of them Harbor Freight specials that will do the job most of the time,,,,,,Clap
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 7:21am
I love my Fluke 177 meter, but it's pricey and not needed for this very true. 

Probably one of the black wires in the switch with 3 black wires "matches" the red wire so to speak.  A continuity check would tell you in a heartbeat.  Speaking of which, joe is right, be friggin' careful.  Changing wires around on switches and such....lucky you ain't made something go zap!
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 8:34am
Truly an adventure here, think it can last to the first snow fall?  LOL

Reminds me of when the Jacuzzi tub went on the fritz and I could not get someone that knew how to fix them to come out in the "country'.
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 4:34pm
Maybe he will be working on the wires all winter, and forget to get the machine up and runnin'?????
JC(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 6:42pm
He's prolly tryin to get light in the kitchen so he can run his remote controlls to that machine....
  Don't worry about ol Shameless there DJ, he prolly needs a few charges to spark up his life... LOL    
     mmmm, was that mean?     Might have meant to be fer him sendin 4 inches of rain the other night. AngryGRRRRAngry         LOL
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 3:29am
in the main switch (the one we use all the time) there is 2 sets of wires coming into the box from the wall. one has a white wire and a black wire, the other has a red wire and a black wire. the white wire is spliced together with another white wire and it goes back into the wall. and a black wire comes back out! PfffffT! I haven't been able to get to town to find what ever kinda meter ya'll say I needs...
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 5:04am
I can come hep ya good buddy. An I can brings a meter or two.

You see it makes a difference if the power iz going to a switch or the light.

No, we didn't make it gown to ole Thad'shin dig again. I'm pretty bummed out about that.
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 5:38am

LES,,,!!!   Les,,,you is a standup Guy,,,but you knew thet din'cha,,??? I'm glad you volunteered cause I can feel ole Shameless is gettin sorta pee'd off and that is when people make mistakes,,,!!
  I got to tell this story,,,A Brother-in-law of the Wife's brother up in Nort Dakota had got a contract to salvage the wiring in some houses that were bein tore down and they were susspossed to have been "safed" by a juicetrician prior to the contract bein let.,,,,,,,, They found the guy dead the next day still hung up on the wiring that was deemed "safe" just days before,,,,,,,Ouch
 SO,,,Les,,,,,you feel free to give ole Shameless some quick tutorin on how to use a meter for testin  continuity and,,,,and,,,while you is in the tutorin stage,,,show him how to take pictures with his phone and post em too ,,,he's been owin us many pics on all sorts of "stuff",,,,LOL
 Say,,,what was the story on the Hitch hiker,,,,???

Edited by desertjoe - 06 Oct 2017 at 5:39am
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 7:29am
Yeah, what was that story??!! Smile

Dale, google "3-way switch diagram"  and take a gander.......that way you'll know something when Les gets there. Big smile

Les, I know you're a good hearted guy, BUT,,,,,,,,,youse a well driller an a (almost) plumber.  To be playin electrician?????????  I hope you know that water and electricity DO NOT MIX! Dead
PS.......Shameless, DO NOT READ THIS part..........Les, take a BIG pipe wrench with ya,,,,you'll know what to do with it.....Wink Clap Ermm
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 11:27pm
I wents to wally world and looked at a bunch of meter things, bought...a circuit tester, then saw a no contact voltage detector and boughts that too. guess I better read the directions tonight on them, maybe they ain't even what I need? if not, i'll have them for something else down the road, unless I loses them!
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 3:24am
Jest dont leave em layin on yer flat bed!

I thougt I PMed you thet story Joe!
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 7:41am
Shameless, for a small price I can come to your place and fix it for you.

Retired, or retarded, Master Electrician.
Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 8:13am
Shameless, PM me your ph# and I'll call you and try to talk you through it.
What's most confusing is because the wire is romex and the white wire is allowed to be used a hot one when used with a switch.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:25pm
Boy I hope he makes thet phone call. If I remember correctly, he tried to burn the house down by usin an extension cord on thet washin machine out that on the porch an he had thet cord looped aroiund the house 3 times cause it was to long and plugged into an outside outlet and caught the outlet on fire!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 5:32pm
Les...I gots that POS washing machine set so I could plugs it in to an honest to goodness wall outlet. the other wall outlet (that is outside) is the one that fried...(prolly gots wet) it's still hanging out from the box outside, i'm sure it's a dead one now! i'll replace it on of these days. will prolly hafta paint around it to hide the burn marks tho! the old lady....ooooops....I mean the loving wife refuses to use the new washing machine now...guess i'll puts it ona sale somewhere. it works fine sometimes! on this light switch BS I change the wires around, walk back and forth switching both them on and off, then change another wire and do the same. I been writing down which way I wire it each time so I don't do the same thing twice. as I read on the web, the red wire goes to the single screw on the one side of the switch, that's the way all the diagrams show anyway! I NEED A SMOKE!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 5:43pm
First off, did ya read the instructions for the testers yet?  Did ya use them yet?  Once you find the "feed" wire, then go from there.  Look on the 3 way switch, not all are the same, one screw will say common, and the other 2 MIGHT be a different color, they will be the travelers to the other switch.  A feed from the panel will be hooked to one common, and the wire going to the light will be hooked to the other common at the other location.  The neturals will be connected together/ should be the white wires. Not seeing your situation, every job is different. 
JC(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 10:50pm
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 2:26am
read the instructions on both, tried them both, neither one worked. PffffT! I figger i'll, well I did...attach the red wire to the single screw on the one side, and now will just switch wires til I gits something! geeeez,,,it worked with the 3 way switches for 64 yeears, and I've changed light fixtures 3-4 times and never had any problems til now. I STILL NEED A SMOKE!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 6:33am
NO Shameless you DO NOT NEED A SMOKE !!! THAt is your first problem....

OK, can you take a picture of the switch boxes/wiring and post here? If not describe the 2nd box stuff.
The first one has 1 wire(Blk,Wht and 1 wire( Blk,Red, Wht). Assuming it's the one connected to fuse box... the blk-wht is the feed so that blk goes to the COMMON of the 3W switch. The other wire( 3 conductor) is the 'traveller' wire. It's red and blk go to the OTHER 3 way switch terminals (NOT the COMMON though). the 1st box ,both whites get tied together.
In the 2nd box, the COMMON of the switch feeds power to the light bulb, and both the wht of the 'traveller' wire and the wire going to the light bulb get tied together.

fuse box     1st box        traveller           2nd box        light bulb
blk---------common                             common-------brass screw
wht---------wht--wht-------------------wht--wht-----silver screw
                       --red--------------------red--
                        --blk--------------------blk--
On the 3w switches the COMMON should be marked or 1 colour.

hope this helps.
and
DO NOT SMOKE !!

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 7:42am
PAY ATTENTION or you WILL be SMOKIN!!
CALL DUSTY!!
NOW!!

Edited by Ted J - 08 Oct 2017 at 7:43am
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:00am
I gots the red wire on the single side on the black screw, the other 2 wires is both black. the only thing marked on the back of the switch is the common screw which is where I gots the red wire on according to the diagrams on the web. i'm just busy switching the black wires around and trying the switches each time I do. can this danged thing work with just one switch and i'll just puts a cover plate over the other? the light is between the 2 switches, i'm not sure which switch is #1 or #2. the one I call #2 is closest to the breaker panel, almost straight above it. so maybe that is the #1 switch?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:05am
When you hooked the light up, how many wires were there in the box, NOT counting the wires for the light fixture itself?  And if there were more than 3 wires, white, black, bare, maybe red, what general direction did they enter the box?  Might give us a better idea.  And I REALLY hat to ask this, but is there light bulbs in the fixture?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:14am
**slaps Dave for even thinking that I don't gots light bulbs in it** 2 wires in the box for the light fixture. both black. one had white lettering on it. the instructions for the light fixture said to hook one wire to the wire in the box that has the white stripe, I took it as the wire that had the white lettering? I don't remember which way the enter the box up there. I may take it back down and puts a single light fixture or a bulb socket on 2 wires up there while i'm trying to fix this.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:16am
I just reread some of your past posts, and with your no contact tester test another HOT outlet somewhere to be sure it is working.  Did ya turn it on, and is there a battery in it?
Once you are sure that the tester works, test the black wire on the main switch area, the one above the panel box, you should have power, if not check the breakers!!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:37am
I gots power from the breaker box. I know that cuz I made a pot of coffee this morning. the wall plug in's is on the same breaker as light! everything in the kitchen is on the same breaker cept the electric stove cuz that's 220. and the testers don't work in the wall outlets either (both testers)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:37am
i'm going back to bed!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic