Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another trailer brake question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another trailer brake question
    Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 3:15pm
Been rewiring the trailer,got the LED going. But now having trouble with the brakes. With new wire in the conduit used a battery and jumper wires to make we knew which wire was what and brakes work.

The other end is this old 89 Ford (we know,but I am cheap and it may have been cheap)with a Tekonsha Commander brake controller that seemed to work on 2 other trailers I plugged into the plug. But it looks like a farmer with out any know how played under the bed with all kind wire to us up. There are 3 kinds of plugs,a 7 blade RV,6 pin circle that is what all my trailer are and a 4 pin for no brake trailers.

So beside cutting a bunch of unneeded wire out to get rid any extra draw of power the controller has me wondering if it is working right. 
Black wire...... pos power in 12+ volts from battery?
White wire .....ground
Red wire ........get power when brake is stepped on ....any amount of volt I should look for?
Blue wire ......the power to brakes on trailer.... only 10.4 volt out under dash....just 10 volts at the back where we cut to only go to one plug. Is this except able loss, or to much?

Or will i  be ahead to just get a different controller? I am not impressed with this one as no knob or switch to apply trailer brakes other than pedal.

Any and ideas are good,but till the Bank of Blair has 0% interest truck lone with 40 years payment a late model truck is not in my future. But no so poor as not to get a professional to clean up the mess.  But the seller of truck bragged about the receiver hitch was professional installed,so I a assumed they wired it to.    
Sponsored Links

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 6:28pm
The power in the blue wire should ramp up as you continue to brake. The 7 blade RV is your most useful you can plug a 6 pin or a 4 pin adapter directly into it.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 6:34pm
RV trailers and Horse trailers used a different PATTERN for the plug wireing on 7 pin plugs.

Make sure the BLUE wire on the trailer plug aligns with the BLUE wire on the truck side of the 7 pin connector.

or if your going to standardize on the 6 pin, also check the match up.

Edited by steve(ill) - 19 Oct 2017 at 6:36pm
Trump Is Not A Lib or Conserv, He's a "Pragmatist." (someone who is practical and focused on reaching a goal. Has a straightforward, matter-of-fact approach and doesn't let emotion distract him or her
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 6:06am
Be sure to SEE where the wires go !! Just because it's 'blue' doesn't MEAN it's really the brake wire !!!
arrgh.....yeah I found that out the hard way.

I use 7way RV style connectors for all my trailers as most(all) PU have them installed.

Brake power is 'pulsed' so a voltmeter won't show 12 volts unless pedal is on for 2-3 minutes. Even then some controllers still vary the pulses....

those controller colours look OK...blue is the power to brakes.

also be SURE to have the white wire grounded on the trailer frame! I see a lot of guys that never bother, thinking the ball will fed the power...well it won't if you grease it or hit a bumpy road..

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic