This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC175wf loader, broken rt. steering arm!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGuy1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC175wf loader, broken rt. steering arm!
    Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 8:10am
This is the second broken arm(original AC not available, poor quality Chinese A&I parts) on this loader tractor, cast iron, breaks right at the keyway where thinnest!  Bought another A&I part, pix below, now what to do by welding outside the arm at the keyway???  Plenty of room there to weld, but what method of welding and what material will be best here? Especially if you have experienced this and fixed successfully!!!  

Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 8:28am
Best case scenario would be to buy another new one and install it. Weld on top of the weak area building it up to add strength. Pre-heat with a torch before welding. I'd have the whole knee assembly removed from the tractor so I could lay it in a good welding position.
Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 9:36am
That metal looks a bit porous to me where it broke. I would get one from Hy-Capacity and send the one from A&I back to them. I've bought several from Hy-Capacity and never had a problem.   Rick
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 9:43am
I had a replacement break, dealer traded for another. I then used a Sunnen hone and micrometers to reduce the interference fit. Any decent machine shop can do similar where the aftermarket was TOO tight on interference, almost .015 interference, That need only be .003-.005 to work effectively.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 10:02am
How wide are your front tires? How much air in them? Makes a lot of difference in how easy it steers. A little grease will help too. JMHO, Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 10:19am
50 lbs of air in front tires is probably too hard. A softer tire will cushion the shock to the whole front axle.
LYNNMN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LYNNMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 10:42am
I put 7000 hours on a 175 with loader and never broke an arm.
BigGuy1000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGuy1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 5:20pm
Thanks to all for suggestions, hycal is probably better, but already have the A&I part!!!  Have gotten welded, will this do the job???
Had a 3rib tire there, now replaced with a wagon tire, very small ribs.

BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:01pm
Just curious, is the key slot on the left side arm also in a thin section?

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:12pm
That welded area is way too thin for me.
Is there some real good reason why you can't add a LOT of weld between the 'nubs' on either side of the keyway? To me it should be at least as thick as the rest of the 'circular' area. Sorry for the non technical names....
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 9:43pm
Not the first thing A&I made that was junk.       MACK
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 7:13am
It will be interesting to see if it still fits the spindle TIGHT. It has to be tight.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 7:45am
I agree probably poor parts.That said ag tractor front ends were designed to carry the weight of the front of the tractor the loader puts a lot more stress on them.For light duty work it usually works OK but if you're doing heavy work with a loader you'd be way ahead to look for an industrial tractor.
lentsch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lentsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 9:48am
That area looks really thin near the keyway. If I were to build it up I would heat it red hot with a torch and use a nickel rod to make it at least as thick as the other side (maybe thicker) and then bury it in a bucket of sand to let it cool gradually. JMHO.
WD,D15,190XT,7000,8010x2,7060,8070
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGuy1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 4:05pm
Had the broken one machined by a shop to proper interference fit, according to the shop.   The welder says that adding too much there as suggested by some will crack the cast when it cools.  It looks like the left one is a little thicker there, hard to tell for sure.  

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGuy1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 11:38am
DrAllis, you are right, but you did not say why, the arm should be welded while on the spindle downhand!!  But I did not know that soon enough!!!  As welded in the pix, the keyway below the weld was compressed so that the key would no longer fit, had to get broached at the machine shop, then it went on OK shrink fit!!!  Rick thanks for HYCAL info but I did not know that before buying A & I poor quality!!!  ALso replaced the tire with an almost smooth wagon tire...and THANKS  to all who replied!!!
Hope that this will work now!  I am not about to buy a loader tractor to fix this problem!!!

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 2:26pm
If you have a helper, keeping the whole thing heated with a rose bud while you're welding and building up that thin area, and let it cool very slowly by burying it in sand (hot sand if you can rig it up), it should not crack.
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 3:10pm
I have had them break when operators consistently run them up against the stop. 
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 4:00pm
Here is another option:  Brass or brazing is typically as strong as the original cast material ...
I once saw a machinist / welder,  brazing a broken drive sprocket on a bull dozer. until I did some research I thought he was crazy.

Why Choose Brazing

First, a brazed joint is a strong joint. A properly-made brazed joint (like a welded joint) will in many cases be as strong or stronger than the metals being joined. Second, the joint is made at relatively low temperatures. Brazing temperatures generally range from about 1150°F to 1600°F (620°C to 870°C).

Most significant, the base metals are never melted.

Since the base metals are not melted, they can typically retain most of their physical properties. And this “integrity” of the base metals is characteristic of all brazed joints, of thin section as well as thick-section joints. Also, the lower heat minimizes any danger of metal distortion or warping.

The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
Mike Kroupa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Kroupa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 4:45pm
My neighbor's 180 did the same thing. If the arm contacts the stop and there is stroke left in the cylinder it will break it every time. Good Luck, Mike
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

If you have a helper, keeping the whole thing heated with a rose bud while you're welding and building up that thin area, and let it cool very slowly by burying it in sand (hot sand if you can rig it up), it should not crack.

Not everyone that welds, knows how to do it right, by preheating, post heating and slow cooling. We had a barrel split long ways at the shop. Anything cast that needed welding was buried in charcoal in the barrel to pre heat, then buried in warm sand to cool off for as long as it took.
 If I was going to use that welded one, I would want at least another 1/4 inch of material added to the outside.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 12 Mar 2019 at 5:27pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 7:17pm
Hhhhmmm if this 180 in the second last response has this problem every time it hits the stop, something is not adjusted right , in my opinion

Edited by DougG - 13 Mar 2019 at 4:22am
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 8:28pm
So... loaders are a tough thing.

This arm broke for two reasons... first... there's too damned little metal in there... second, the stress is totally concentrated on the weakest point.

A loader puts more strain on, because you're turning a steering wheel while the tires are heftly planted.

IF you were to make a stronger steering arm, the next thing that would happen, is that you'll twist off the keyed shaft.

The DESIGN is the biggest problem here... and I addressed this substantially when dealing with my little Cub Cadet loader... and I'll be dealing with it same way on Schwartz (my WD-based TL)

The REAL solution, is to build a better spindle/knuckle design, where the steering arms are physically PART OF the knuckle...  I'm all out of photo space, so I can't post 'em here, but they're probably posted on the Cub Cadet forums of years ago.

If you want a stout loader steering system that will NOT break, setting it up so that steering forces originate from hydraulic cylinders mounted TO the axle beam, and acting on the knuckles directly...    but you probably don't think that's such a fun task... but I'll assure you from experience... it's the ONLY way to do it right.  Wink
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGuy1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 4:48pm
What is the correct toein setting for this tractor???  The operators manual does not tell!!  We currently have 1/8 in toein, measured at the fat part of the tire and at wheel center level.   It was toe out before, about 1/2 in. so we changed it and guessed at the setting, hope that this works!

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 4:53pm
That should work.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic