This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6070 air conditioning problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rieg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6070 air conditioning problem
    Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:31am
tractor has updated pump 134a conversion, worked fine earlier this spring after adding a can. now that it's hay time it won't kick on. i have power to and through the high pres switch and that's as far as it goes. i took the wire from the high switch and connected it to the clutch bypassing low switch and it kicked on, added a can of 134 low side, took it no problem. pressures are 120 high side and negative 10 low side???? no cooling happening. i have never run into this before. any ideas??
rieg
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 11:32am
Add another can, you are still LOW.
rieg View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rieg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 3:07pm
Thanks Doc but no help added another no help so i added another same thing pulls down to minus 10 low side and about 110 high side, no cooling, also no bubbles in site glass. To full?? Just pumping fluid?? That was 3 cans total plus what was already in it. Still have r12 in everything else, not that up on 134a. Maybe expansion valve and to much fluid??
rieg
LB0442 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LB0442 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 5:20pm
After a couple of cans you should see at least 10 to 20 lbs on the low side.  If it has a vacuum on it then there is a blockage before it.  I would look at the expansion valve not opening up allowing gas into the evaporator.  The only problem with that is your high side is not that high for a complete blockage.  Check the dryer for a cold line after it, sometimes they will plug up and act like a restriction, Freon will flash off there and have low pressure before it gets to the evaporator.  Does also sound like it may have npn condensable (air) in the system, thatwill do some really weird things with pressures.
joelsplace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joelsplace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 5:22pm
If you had too much 134 the high side would be way too high.  From your readings you are way low and that is why it wouldn't kick on.  Probably needs 20psi or more on the low side to kick on.  -10 and you are starving the compressor for oil.  Oil travels in the 134.
I would say it mostly all leaked out.  Get out the soapy water and spray down everything to find your leak.
A bad expansion valve could cause the low low side pressure but it would also have a corresponding very high high side pressure.
1975 7040 w/Power Director
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 5:36pm
I thinking expansion valve is stuck closed after adding that much juice.
rieg View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rieg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:06pm
I have been working on these systems for over 40 years and never ran into crazy pressures like these, pulling a vacuum on the low side while adding gas to it makes no sense. Yes it was taking the gas with no problem, the can was completely covered in frost. With engine off the high side would not take any liquid at any time during this process?? any clues?? not even with the first can?? 
rieg
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:29pm
You have a clogged or stuck closed thermal expansion valve. When that happens, all of the refrigerant ends up in the condenser and doesn't make it to the evaporator. If no refrigerant gets to the evaporator, no refrigerant gets to the compressor. With no refrigerant to pump, the high side stays low because of the air flow through it.
I'll bet the dessicant bag opened and the material is stuck in the TXV.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic